Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibration.....

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration.....

I'm running the Smooth Spyder belt tensioner on the TOP belt, 90%+ of the vibration is gone!!! The freeway is now comfortable at any speed! This is a wonderful solution to what was an annoying problem to many of us. I am running an early unit. The production units will be ready for shipping by the end of the month. Thank you Capt. Jim for solving the problem that BRP and dealers refused to recognize or address.

Ron

Spyder Garage

i had the smooth spyder belt tensioner on the 2012rss and it looks like now it will be on the f3!!! thanks for the post!

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear..!!

Thanks for posting...this is good news for the F3 community...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Yea- on the waiting list for a smooth spyder tensioner.
    Is it overtly visible once installed like the other?

Sam Mancuso
    2015 F3-S and 2009 RS
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some are reporting success and others saying that it makes little difference. I wonder for those that do not see an improvement, can they return it for a full refund? My vibration is almost gone after 2k miles but if the vibration reappears I would like to know that I have this as an option.

Registered Users mikedoucette66's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yeah I've been hearing the same thing...hit or miss and for the cost of the tensioner it had better work in my books. I will wait for more peeps to add it to their F3's 😆

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: Could the "hit or miss" results just be related to the tuning of the unit?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I've also seen some peeps are putting them on top of the belt and some say to put it underneath the belt...so I'm not exactly sure. I think it cost around 300 bucks so if it doesn't eliminate the vibration completely then it's not worth it.. just my 2 cent mind you 😕

Spyder Garage

Default Belt tensioner visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by qasamm View Post
    Yea- on the waiting list for a smooth spyder tensioner.
    Is it overtly visible once installed like the other?

Sam Mancuso
    2015 F3-S and 2009 RS
    Smooth SPYDER belt tensioner is not visible to me. You have to know where it is,and get down low to see it.

Ron

Spyder Garage

I think the most of the vibrations come from the drive belt being really long 😆

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

FWIW....Those that know me here also know that I ride pretty fast and my F3-S is just
    coming up to 4000 miles. I reported a while back that I was getting some minimal vibration
    at between 70 and 75 mph. At the time I put it down to the nature of the beast:
    Standing waves forming along the length of this long belt etc.

So I've been ignoring it.

I went for a short hundred mile ride out on Sunday and was playing in the traffic on
    the motorway and GADZOOKS!! (Actually I thought something very much more unprintable!)
    I couldn't get any vibration to occur. There was a tiny amount at around 90 mph but
    nothing in the 70s.
    Now I'm wondering if the belt when new and stiff causes this and has in fact changed it's characteristics
    with use...... I'll keep you all posted.

What I do experience is that recently I'm getting a 'singing' noise that starts at 42mph and continues 'til 47mph
    then disappears...it's definitely the belt as the amplitude of the noise 'pulses' at the belt's rotational speed.

I ignore that as well!

NOTE: I also realise that US Spyders have a different rear sprocket and a different belt to Euro/Australian NZ
    offerings. The US machines have a larger sprocket and thus a longer belt.

Spyder Garage

SmoothSpyder has a redesigned tensioner. I hope to test it this weekend.

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Okay, I couldn't wait. The chores will have to be done later.

The install was very easy. It literally took me longer to find my Dremel and cutoff wheel than to install the tensioner. (You need to trim a piece of plastic for it to clear.)

The installation is very easy and the instructions cover everything. After everything is buttoned back up you cannot see it unless you really look for it. I mean really look for it. The only clue is the black plastic nut cover on the belt guard.

I had pretty low expectations because that is the kind of guy I am I guess. Dealing with SmoothSpyder has been a fantastic experience, which is not the norm in today's modern world.

So I took it for a test drive. My immediate thoughts are that I can tell it is installed even when I am not moving! How? Because when you shift from neutral to first there is less "takeup" and it feels "more connected" when accelerating.

My Spyder had an ugly pronounced "flutter" vibration that kicked in without fail between 65 and 73MPH, depending on the load. It doesn't vibrate now. I can feel it "want to" flutter just the tiniest bit but apparently the tensioner prevents it from turning into a full-on flutter-ama. And that happens only at (today) 67 and 74MPH. Maybe 1% of the original feeling!

For $200 this is the best "farkle" I have ever bought for any bike, just the way it is right now. Especially since it is such a solid piece of gear and not a rinky-dink mousetrap-like contraption. If you saw it you'd swear it is OEM and $800!

BRP should license this tensioner from Jim ($$$) and swallow their pride and admit that vibration/flutter is an issue and can be eliminated.

YMMV of course, but I expect this to be the true solution for everyone.

I'm not an emoticon spammer but for today I will make an exception:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

trim a piece of plastic, say what!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I think all models have some vibration.

Choice whether to dwell on it .I have a 13 rs put tensioner on it took 95% away.

Rode 2 f3 didn't really notice it. Maybe because i'm used to it.

Had them both up to 90mph

Spyder Garage

Default Smooooth Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
    Okay, I couldn't wait. The chores will have to be done later.

The install was very easy. It literally took me longer to find my Dremel and cutoff wheel than to install the tensioner. (You need to trim a piece of plastic for it to clear.)

The installation is very easy and the instructions cover everything. After everything is buttoned back up you cannot see it unless you really look for it. I mean really look for it. The only clue is the black plastic nut cover on the belt guard.

I had pretty low expectations because that is the kind of guy I am I guess. Dealing with SmoothSpyder has been a fantastic experience, which is not the norm in today's modern world.

So I took it for a test drive. My immediate thoughts are that I can tell it is installed even when I am not moving! How? Because when you shift from neutral to first there is less "takeup" and it feels "more connected" when accelerating.

My Spyder had an ugly pronounced "flutter" vibration that kicked in without fail between 65 and 73MPH, depending on the load. It doesn't vibrate now. I can feel it "want to" flutter just the tiniest bit but apparently the tensioner prevents it from turning into a full-on flutter-ama. And that happens only at (today) 67 and 74MPH. Maybe 1% of the original feeling!

For $200 this is the best "farkle" I have ever bought for any bike, just the way it is right now. Especially since it is such a solid piece of gear and not a rinky-dink mousetrap-like contraption. If you saw it you'd swear it is OEM and $800!

BRP should license this tensioner from Jim ($$$) and swallow their pride and admit that vibration/flutter is an issue and can be eliminated.

YMMV of course, but I expect this to be the true solution for everyone.

I'm not an emoticon spammer but for today I will make an exception:

Thanks for the post!!!!! I am running the early test unit. It had made a huge difference! I like the looks of the new one so well, I just ordered it. Maybe I'll run them both.

Ron

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    trim a piece of plastic, say what!!!!!
    Yep, you will have to trim the tip of the plastic underpanel in place with a Dremel.

I could have made the arm an inch longer and it would have cleared the plastic, but under full suspension compression with a passenger and the weak rear shock the pulley would or would be capable of contacting the frame bar directly above it.
    This momentary pinching of the idler between the belt and bar would also prevent the belt from moving with the arc of the swingarm and may put some undue stress on the drive train, I can't have that going on and sleep well.

The plastic has been trimmed in these pics.

I could not upload the Instructions but will be happy to send them if you email me, jim@smoothspyder.com

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

This link to my Dropbox for the instructions *should* work:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...structions.pdf

Spyder Garage

I did an extended test this morning. 70 MPH for around 50 miles.

The black idler pulley gets warm. I ran up to 118 MPH and it didn't catch on fire.

The shifting (SM6) is much improved. It was already great before so this is an unexpected bonus. I almost power shift when I shift. I preload the shifter and barely crack the clutch. I get very seamless shifts both up and down.

I can feel some minor rumbling if I decelerate down through the 74 to 65 MPH range. Jim suggested that might be from the lower run of the belt. It only happens on deceleration so it is very acceptable.

Spyder Garage

My petty little concern is additional friction causing additional wear on the belt. If BRP doesn't do something about it is then I guess we don't have much choice. For now I just stay away from the vibe zone.

Spyder Garage

Default vibration rpm 3400-4400 rpm

It's good to see compennsation for lack of engine harmonic balancer qualitity---if it works great---but he problem origination is with the engine harmonic balancer mounted on the front of the engine crankshaft. Same rpm in any gear will cause vibration--usually 3300-4500rpm. I appreciate any vendors effort---but I don''t see magic -...
    Last edited by Wildrice; 09-24-2015 at 07:10 PM.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default BRP have let themselves down.

Bought an F3 SE6 in July and love the bike , HOWEVER ! just made my first long trip down south where you can drive a little faster and discovered what I now know to be the common problem of the bike behaving like a meat grinder between 67-72 mph. Contacted BRP and got the cold shoulder so then went on to the dealer who now just does not return my calls. Looking at the Smoothspyder tensioner but feel aggravated to have spent 25K on something that has such a basic design flaw, BRP wake up, be honest and have some respect for the people who are buying your products. Perhaps BRP could consider the prospect of providing a little customer service here ! you know in the long term it will save a lot of money in keeping customers coming back...........maybe Hyundai might consider making a trike!! just imagine buying from someone who cared about you even after you left the showroom and gave a five year warranty.
    Sorry to rant, needed to let it out , will order a tensioner.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 2012 RTL has the vibration at app 68-74 mph...There are variables..Higher the octane ,the better...Ryding 2 up is worse...up hills and lugging is worse yet...If I had the money I would order one today...But,I would also realize there are variables that may cause you to feel some still.. to Capt Jim!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Vibration Fix

I have to confess I've been lurking fir a long time with nit much to add to the forum. However I just had the 3000 mile maintenance done on my F3 and the vubration is 95% gone. I complained about it when I brought the SPyder in and they showed me the tension update they had received from BRP. I have a copy and will post in when I'm back home next week but basically the new tension they recommend is less than half the old shop manual number.

For ease of use to folks here I put the Krikit on it with all wheels still on the ground and I'd call it about a 205 reading.

I'm not sure how this will work for everyone else but I had the same bad vibration most of you do and it really is 95% gone.

Have others seen this new document at their dealers?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Typing

Pardon my atrocious typing!