Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default NEW PROBLEM - HELP PLEASE!!

Well, a couple of weeks ago I reported on Spyderlovers that I received a DESS error and the bike wouldn't start, until 2.5 hours later it decided to. This is the same Spyder that had the DESS module replace earlier this Spring. Well, we have been busy the last week or so getting ready for our son's wedding and haven't even looked at the Spyder. Today I thought I would start it and take a short ride. I turned the key and everything looked fine, no DESS error. It wasn't until I hit the starter switch that I had the problem. When I hit the switch the starter motor turned the engine over as expected, but then instead of starting the engine coughed once and then wouldn't even attempt to start. The battery had plenty of power to turn the engine over, since I had the Spyder on a Battery Tender, but the Spyder would not even try to start, just turn on the battery power. Any idea what this problem may be? Could it be connected to the eariler DESS error? What is the procedure to find the error code to give to the dealer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. PS - This is a 2014 RTS.

2014 RT-S Pearl White - 'Miss Pearl'

Spyder Garage

There may not be an error code. However, the procedure is, key on, press turn signal switch in, mode and select switch at the same time. This will show an active code if one is initiated.

I'm sure you checked the kill switch. I have inadvertently hit it myself when starting.

Can you tell if there is any power draw when hitting the start switch?

Check the pre start relay in the left fuse box.

There have been issues with starter magnets coming loose.

Keep me posted.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default Error Code U0155

Well, I was able to check the stored error codes and found an active code of 'U0155'. I'm at a loss as to what that means. Once again, 'Help anyone'!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you try pulling up error codes?
    There's something very unusual happening with your bike...
    Check your battery connections too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sounds complicated...

Spyder Garage

Here is a case of the error code is unrelated to your problem.

Try a wide open throttle start. Before pressing the starter button. Twist the throttle to wide open and hold it there. This will turn the fuel injectors off. Press the starter button for 20 to 30 seconds. If it does not start. Wait a couple minutes to allow the starter to cool. Try again. If it still does not start try a normal start again.

PS It has nothing to do with DESS problem you had earlier. If it was a DESS problem the engine would not crank at all.
    Last edited by billybovine; 08-24-2015 at 11:57 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks PMK

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Sounds complicated...
    Thanks PMK! These instructions sound like something for the trained tech, not an old man with little to no mechanical expertise.

Spyder Garage

Default That worked!!!

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post

Try a wide open throttle start. Before pressing the starter button. Twist the throttle to wide open and hold it there. This will turn the fuel injectors off. Press the starter button for 20 to 30 seconds. If it does not start. Wait a couple minutes to allow the starter to cool. Try again. If it still does not start try a normal start again.

PS It has nothing to do with DESS problem you had earlier. If it was a DESS problem the engine would not crank at all.
    I tried your process above and it worked. The Spyder is in the garage right now idling just fine. I'm afraid to shut it off or ride it, but at least we got is started. Thanks for your help 'Bov'. It's times like this that make you realize just how valuable Spyderlovers is.!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LEEB View Post
    I tried your process above and it worked. The Spyder is in the garage right now idling just fine. I'm afraid to shut it off or ride it, but at least we got is started. Thanks for your help 'Bov'. It's times like this that make you realize just how valuable Spyderlovers is.!!!
    Happy to help. Take a drive and it will be fine.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope your garage door is open!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default There you go...!!

billybovine to the rescue...glad you got it sorted out and running agsin. now get out and have a ryde will relax you from all that wedding stress stuff..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I also want to thank you, Billy, for your suggestion. I never heard of the "wide open throttle start" before, but it's a good trick to keep in my "problem solving arsenal".
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Door Open

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I hope your garage door is open!
    Yep Ann! The garage door is open. When I got it started and came in the house and told my wife, her first question was, "Do you have the garage door open? I don't want to come out there and find you lying on the floor." You ladies all think alike! I guess that's why we keep you around!! Well, one of the reasons!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that Miss Pearl got her throat cleared, and is back to purring!

Spyder Garage

Default Took a ride!

I took it for a short ride and she ran fine. I just didn't shut it off until I returned home. I left is set for about 30 minutes and went out and it started right up. It's still going to the dealer, due to the DESS error, and for their opinion on today's U0155. We're headed to Spyderquest in a couple of weeks and I want the Spyder to be fully ready for the trip. I also have to replace the original rear tire. Only 6,888 miles on it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck with her visit to the dealer!
    6,888 miles on an OEM rear tire isn't bad at all!

Spyder Garage

Default Fur Ball

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Glad to hear that Miss Pearl got her throat cleared, and is back to purring!
    We have two cats! Maybe she got a hairball!!!

Spyder Garage

I also have to replace the original rear tire. Only 6,888 miles on it.
    Lee,

If you are interested in an automotive tire, Netzley Tire will be one of the vendors at Spyderquest. I had Derrick Netzley install a Yokohama s-Drive on mine last month. It fits the wheel better than the OEM, it's much less expensive, so far it performs better, it should last longer, and you'll pay less for the install. He'll install any tire you want at Spyderquest, if you contact him ahead of time and make an appointment. (He'll need a little time to get in the tire you want.) PM me if you want more info.
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-24-2015 at 01:35 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rob is right; they can set you up with whatever tire will best do the job for you.

Spyder Garage

What do you suspect happened and why?

If the engine was able to crank over, agree it was not DESS related.

Do you suspect the fault code is leftover from the previous problem?

Do you know if the machines will self clear faults after so many cycles with no fault?

PK

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

the wide open throttle start procedure is usually used when you suspect an engine from being flooded, meaning too much gas in the intake.

I guess that was the problem in this case. Now the question becomes, why was it flooded?
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

What do you suspect happened and why?

If the engine was able to crank over, agree it was not DESS related.

Do you suspect the fault code is leftover from the previous problem?

Do you know if the machines will self clear faults after so many cycles with no fault?

PK
    From my own experience and from others posting. If the Spyder has been sitting for a while or if they have been on a trailer ride. Every once in a blue moon they flood instead of start. Does not make sense since they are fuel injected, it should not happen.

Whether there is a TCM code or not it should not have any effect on starting. Unless there was a low voltage problem and then there would be a cascade of codes streaming across the screen. This code in particular was a communication problem. I tend to ignore communication codes unless they are actually causing a problem. A lot of stuff happening on power up and one module is unhappy with another for not speaking up fast enough.

Fault codes change from active to occured several different ways. It all depends on the specific fault type. As soon as the problem is fixed the fault goes away. Or after a period of time the problem does not come back the fault goes away. Or after a power down cycle, key off for 30 seconds and if the original problem is still not there on power up. I have also been told that some faults can only be clear by BUDS. I am skeptical of that and would like to know which ones those are.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I took it for a short ride and she ran fine. I just didn't shut it off until I returned home. I left is set for about 30 minutes and went out and it started right up. It's still going to the dealer, due to the DESS error, and for their opinion on today's U0155. We're headed to Spyderquest in a couple of weeks and I want the Spyder to be fully ready for the trip. I also have to replace the original rear tire. Only 6,888 miles on it.
    Nice to hear that you got your spyder started. Sent pm Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

From my own experience and from others posting. If the Spyder has been sitting for a while or if they have been on a trailer ride. Every once in a blue moon they flood instead of start. Does not make sense since they are fuel injected, it should not happen.

Whether there is a TCM code or not it should not have any effect on starting. Unless there was a low voltage problem and then there would be a cascade of codes streaming across the screen. This code in particular was a communication problem. I tend to ignore communication codes unless they are actually causing a problem. A lot of stuff happening on power up and one module is unhappy with another for not speaking up fast enough.

Fault codes change from active to occured several different ways. It all depends on the specific fault type. As soon as the problem is fixed the fault goes away. Or after a period of time the problem does not come back the fault goes away. Or after a power down cycle, key off for 30 seconds and if the original problem is still not there on power up. I have also been told that some faults can only be clear by BUDS. I am skeptical of that and would like to know which ones those are.
    Good answers, thanks.

So taking some stuff further. I watched Shawns video the other day on the oil change #2. He showed a bunch of BUDS / MPI-2 stuff. One thing he did do was rest the maintenance to zero. I assume or the oil change. If this is not reset will it show a cluster light, or can the average DIY person reset to 0 by some other means. I saw no mention in the Maintenance Manual but maybe overlooked it.

I am now looking for an MPI-2 setup, and will buy the unlock code once I have the hardware.

PK

Spyder Garage

Good answers, thanks.

So taking some stuff further. I watched Shawns video the other day on the oil change #2. He showed a bunch of BUDS / MPI-2 stuff. One thing he did do was rest the maintenance to zero. I assume or the oil change. If this is not reset will it show a cluster light, or can the average DIY person reset to 0 by some other means. I saw no mention in the Maintenance Manual but maybe overlooked it.

I am now looking for an MPI-2 setup, and will buy the unlock code once I have the hardware.

PK
    I watched that video too. What I really found interesting was that you can see all the driver control switch/button inputs. That brings up the question of why some dealers seem to take so long to diagnose faulty switch issues.

The maintenance record I think is a record only and will not show a cluster light. If it did I would have shown a light a long time ago.

This spring I downloaded a trial version of BUDS. At the time I did not have any time to look at it. I recently tried to use it again. It had timed out and no longer usable. This winter I will try it again.

2018 F3 LIMITED