Spyder Garage

Default Check Transmission.

On August was going to the dealers to get my right mirror fixed. The top mount was broken by a Michigan pothole. !0 miles from the dealer in Cement City, MI. the check transmission screen appeared. As I was close to the dealer I kept going. I just made it there and that was as far as it would go. They pushed into the service area and noticed the drive belt was shredded. Said the would check it out the following Saturday.

What they found was the bolts holding the front drive pulley had come loose and the spline was worn down. This caused the pulley to wobble and shred the belt. Said it would take two days to fix once the parts come in. They also said they were working on one with the same problem that came in the day before I did. Both are 2013 RTs.

Just wondering if any others with 2013 have had this happen.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Strange...

I have a RS 2012 sm5 and at around 28,000 miles the front sprocket bolt came loose and the sprocket began to wobble some but made a knuckle grinding noise. I re-torqued it but after 300miles it was grinding again. Ordered a new sprocket and bolts (cheapcycleparts.com) replaced it for $120.00 including the rear wheel bearings and all is well. The fortunate part is much longer and the damage to the shaft would require an engine tear down.. warranty ran out...but I do my own work anyway....have heard of others having the bolt loosen but not recently....
    glad they will take care of that and let us know what they say caused it...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Unhappy No reason for bolts coming loose/

Well I took the Spyder in Aug. 8, 2015. So far the haven't done any thing. They keep saying be ready by end of the week. I check on Saturday and the say ready by end of next week. Just hope I get it back before it starts snowing. The Spyder in ahead of mine had tranny damage and took longer to fix. Dealer only has one tech that can do the work. Can't wait to be a Spyder Rider again.

Spyder Garage

Post Finally

Well it is Sept. 12 and I finally got my Spyder back. They found that the shift sensor was destroyed when the belt shredded. Took another week to get part and the tech. was sick for 2 days. Was a cold one hour ride home. Glad it is home though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I haven't heard of to many pulley problems on the newer models. I mistakenly had thought that was an early model year issue. I did however mark the bolt/pulley with a paint pen a few years ago to be able to keep an eye on it.