Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Lets talk about rider fatigue.

It's my first full summer with a Spyder and we are really enjoying touring. We tend to do 2 and 3 day weekend trips of 300-500 miles and avoid highway travel.
    On a 3 day trip I would rate the comfort level of day 1 as a 10, day 2 as a 7, day 3 as a 4-5. The longest 1 day ride we have done is probably 6 hours.
    By day 3 I am taking a lot more frequent breaks and most times I am just ready to get off.

With this being my first "touring" type bike I have been working on posture, and figuring out different stretching techniques to use while riding. I do well at staying hydrated and during hot days we have ways to cool off and stay comfortable while cruising around.
    I wanted to get some other opinions/ideas on how to avoid rider fatigue for long journeys on a Spyder.
    Thanks.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

A lot of folks on here will claim it is the seat or a pad, that will extend the day in the saddle. I think your feeling what I feel, and it's your body not agreeing with your latest antics. Meaning your body may not be used to the position, posture, confinement, etc. I think you have to continue to log some miles, make your body sore, and toughen up your fanny. It's like running... You can't start out of the gate running a marathon, you have to train yourself to one day get there, soreness is part of it. But. It also may just be your physical makeup (bones, muscle, nerves, etc) that won't let you have an iron butt. Not everyone is built to run a marathon.

Continue the stretches, take breaks, try a pad, but remember it's all part of the training! Obviously, this is my humble opinion... I'm sure you'll see several others chime in. Good luck!
    Last edited by Brian Kay; 08-22-2015 at 09:47 AM.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

My seat and other mods (handlebar risers, etc.) have made all the difference in the world. That being said just take your time, enjoy the ride and stop whenever you feel like it. This isn't about rushing!
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Spyder Garage

We've cut back on the miles for each day over the years but have kept to about the same number of hours on the Spyder. That means we have cut our speed way back (back roads @ 45-50 mph) and that helps. I think the combination of wind and engine noise plus just the need to be ready for the unexpected, fatigues one more at higher speeds.

300-400 miles in a day used to be our norm. Now we work to stay at 175-225 miles in a day and frankly, we seem to enjoy the ride more. Of course if you are trying to hit a specific destination in a specific time frame that doesn't work well but we usually have no set plan.

My wife seems to be most comfortable on her RT stock seat although she does ride with a sheepskin overtop and has a backrest. She has neuropathy in both feet and often will just stretch her legs out so the backs of her ankles hit the front of the pegs. It looks uncomfortable to me but she claims hanging the legs straight down offers quite a bit of relief.

I have floor boards so that is not an option for me but I also added an Ultimate seat and backrest. That was the best thing I ever did to combat fatigue. 90 minutes used to be the maximum I could remain comfortable on the stock RT seat but the Ultimate is just that.... I can ride for three hours or more without discomfort or numbness.

We also talk back and forth on our SENA headsets to point out items along the way or just converse. I think that helps combat fatigue as well.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

I myself am a new rider of the Can am and I love it. I have issues with knees and back both with multiple operations. I drive on the highway a lot, St. Louis to Grapevine Texas,and Texas to Dodge City Kansas I have driving 5000 miles in about 4 months and all of my drives each way are 1 day trips. Fatigue is a factor but I am in no hurry to get anywheres I stop a lot and Gatorade is my friend. But there are times that fatigue is a major factor. I pull over about every 100 miles and take a 15 min. Break. I do worry at times that I am pushing it, so I dial myself back in and take no chances on the highways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default take a break

As the previous poster stated, take a break every 100 miles. It's a nice round number that's easy to deal with. Fill up with gas and stretch. Use lots of "Monkey Butt" or Gold Bond powder. I have a stock seat on my RT-S and find it to be the most comfortable seat I have ever had on a bike.

Don't push it, have fun.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You must start with the area that bothers you the most. If it is your back, a backrest may help. If it is your butt an airhawk or similar pad may help. There are adjustable handlebars, different seats etc. For example my wife likes her RT the way it is but needs a backrest for those long days. I have occasionally ridden her spyder for long trips and I would like a seat that moves me back a couple inches. Everyone has a different way of getting comfortable on a spyder. Those long days usually reveal where to start.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

You mention fatigue. Do you workout on a regular basis? Even if you don't workout regularly, 5-6 minutes of foam rolling will help prior to riding. It will help with tight tendons, ligaments, and muscles, with the end result of increased mobility. And of course foam rolling after a ride will also help. As for seats, floor boards, and handle bars, I'll leave that for those that use other than OEM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    You mention fatigue. Do you workout on a regular basis? Even if you don't workout regularly, 5-6 minutes of foam rolling will help prior to riding. It will help with tight tendons, ligaments, and muscles, with the end result of increased mobility. And of course foam rolling after a ride will also help. As for seats, floor boards, and handle bars, I'll leave that for those that use other than OEM.
    Also lots of stretching and moving around during fuel stops.

Diet comes into play as well. If you have a double cheeseburger for lunch, you will naturally experience afternoon fatique. Light, low fat meals contribute to longer endurance and less fatique.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Although it was mentioned briefly in a earlier answer, wind and noise will wear me down. A little on day one,
    a little more each consecutive day.

The other thing strangely, is traffic flow. If you are surrounded by cars (think interstate) going 80 mph, you will
    be more physically and mentally tired at the end of the day.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nobody ever said that you can't pick your butt up off of the seat, and do some stretches while going down the road...
    Shake some blood back into your feet every once in a while, and do the same favor for your hands!
    A couple of good neck rolls, and a drink of water at each fuel stop; you'll be good for some 600 mile, fourteen hour days!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you for this post. Most, if not all, previous ones have dealt with how many miles a rider can go in a day. It is refreshing to see someone interested in addressing what it takes to maximize the enjoyment of your ride. (I'll stop here and say that there are many who get complete enjoyment by riding as many miles that they can in a day). However, there are many of us who like to just "stop and smell the roses".
    My suggestion is to ride with the view of your enjoyment. If it is to accomplish miles, then many of the earlier suggestions, diet, exercise, etc., are "spot on". However, if your objective is to take your time and enjoy this beautiful country, then......well.....you know what to do.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Thank you for this post. Most, if not all, previous ones have dealt with how many miles a rider can go in a day. It is refreshing to see someone interested in addressing what it takes to maximize the enjoyment of your ride. (I'll stop here and say that there are many who get complete enjoyment by riding as many miles that they can in a day). However, there are many of us who like to just "stop and smell the roses".
    My suggestion is to ride with the view of your enjoyment. If it is to accomplish miles, then many of the earlier suggestions, diet, exercise, etc., are "spot on". However, if your objective is to take your time and enjoy this beautiful country, then......well.....you know what to do.

Chris
    The Iron Butt rides are fun, and make for a proud acheivement, but they are not something that people do on an everyday basis. In my 37 years of riding, I can confidently estimate well over a half million miles on two wheels and now on three. The 1,000 mile IBA ride that I SAFELY completed in 17 hours is only a very small fraction of my total miles. The remainder have been spent "smelling the roses", and in the enjoyment of the scenery and riding safely at all times.

Preparation and fitness, both mental and physical, are necessary whether riding for 2 hours or 17 hours.

Thanks for your comment.

Pam
    Last edited by Pampurrs; 08-22-2015 at 01:21 PM.

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    The other thing strangely, is traffic flow. If you are surrounded by cars (think interstate) going 80 mph, you will be more physically and mentally tired at the end of the day.
    Being fatigued and tired isn't the same as being sleepy. When I lived and worked in Louisiana I traveled I-55 from Hammond to New Orleans. In the afternoon going home I would get really sleepy and often would pull off and take a short nap. Generally traffic was pretty light. Then I changed to working south of Baton Rouge and traveled I-12 from BR to Hammond. Traffic was much heavier and it kept me much more alert. I seldom got sleepy on the way home because I had to watch out for traffic the whole time.

I would agree that dealing with heavy traffic will make you more tired, but light traffic can make you more sleepy.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kay View Post
    I think your feeling what I feel, and it's your body not agreeing with your latest antics. Meaning your body may not be used to the position, posture, confinement, etc.
    You may be onto something here. I don't have a problem with riding day after day, somewhere around 300 miles average. Maybe it's because I spend so much time arm chair surfing so sitting is my normal activity. Not the best for my health, I know, but maybe it does condition me for long trips. Who knows?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

One way to save your ass from hurting as well as your wallet. Go to the local Walgreen's and buy a cheap (around $10.00) hemorrhoid donut blow it up about a third of the way and put it in a light weight breathable helmet bag and attach it to your bike seat (around the back rest) and sit on that for those long trips. It breaths well and keeps you cool and the little amount of air in the donut gives your butt some more cushion to sit on. It will save you well over $100.00 and you'll find your butt a much happier place to sit on for those long trips. I have been doing this for several years and it works great. You may have to replace the donut once a year depending on use but your butt will appreciate it a lot! Just experiment with the air level, it doesn't take much to make you smile.

Justcalldon

Spyder Garage

Your going to get all kinds of opinions here.

Back as far as the 80's it was no big deal for me to do 600 mile days when we were on a tour. In those days, it was the destination that we had in mind and we never stopped to smell the roses or take a scenic detour. We stopped for gas and that was about it.

Forward to the present: My body is not what it was. I cant put a 70# pack on my back and then heft up the 68# aluminum canoe and head over a mile long portage. 300 miles or less is what I can handle these days. I have to stop and stretch every 50 - 100 miles (depending on the day).

We also stop and smell the roses a lot. Now, its not the destination, but the ride to the destination--then we enjoy the destination.

When there is pain--I try to shift my position around. I have floorboards, and upline (BRP Comfort) seat, and I carry a sheepskin/gel and an Airhawk pad. I can change positions by using one, the other, or both--all depending on the condition of the moment.

I try to keep myself in condition now by taking 50 to 100 mile rides every day. On quiet roads, I even slow down to 35 - 40 just to sit back and enjoy the scenery.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Nobody ever said that you can't pick your butt up off of the seat, and do some stretches while going down the road... !
    If you stretch as good as you float/swim, I'd save the stretching for when you make pit stops.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

Chris
    Diet, and exercise are not just for trying to get in many miles; it also helps you to enjoy the ride; as you say to smell the roses. Let's face it, if your joints are bound up, how much enjoyment will you get?

Spyder Garage

Every little bit of advise so far has been a treat. One thing we have done this summer is adjust our riding gear. For summer riding we switched to half helmets. The weight difference was noticeable and helped with some of the neck pain. I imagine riding posture and stretching will continue to help with the back and neck.
    For my wife we had to adjust the passenger foot rests a couple times, she is much happier now with the position.
    I am saving for floorboards or pegs. Not convinced yet the boards will give me the "stretch" but could offer more variety in leg position vs. pegs.
    Like was mentioned earlier, everyone is different and it's important to try different things. There are a lot of options which makes everyone's opinion equally important so keep them coming.
    Thanks.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also get fatigued (as in sleepy) during long rides. Then after I stop, I'm awake! I think there are several factors involved:

1. Eat light during the day - no heavy breakfast or lunch. Then go heavy at night when you'll be able to sleep.
    2. Get a good night sleep. This is what I have trouble with. I have trouble getting to sleep and don't always sleep well. When I can afford it, I may look into if I have sleep apnea.
    3. As others have said, shift your position as you ride. On the Alaska trip, I learned to stand for a while while riding. Joe said just the adrenaline from the fear helps keep you awake!
    4. I don't try to set any records as to how far I can go. I figure if I get to 300 miles and want to stop, I stop!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

don't make "mileage" a factor when riding... I think its a physical/mental thing ... some can ride 12 to 14 hours in a day... some a lot less.. riding should be fun... when you feel tired... S-T-O-P... take rest stop, walk around, get a bite to eat.... if you still feel tired or uncomfortable in the saddle.. stop for the day... there will be another day... if you get tired/uncomfortable your attention span may suffer.. that's when accidents happen... like someone mentioned earlier...
    the more you ride.. the longer you will be able to ride..

osm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    If you stretch as good as you float/swim, I'd save the stretching for when you make pit stops.
    I have to admit; it DOES make traffic move away from me!

As far as the "float/swim" characterization... Let's call it what it is: SINKING!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default More pics!

Sux for time but great for everything else. ,not every mom& pop shop but there is SO much to see & enjoy, , dont underestimate the lil things
    Loading pics here however
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

.We are 64 years old ride 2 up
    We usally go two or three days then take a full day off.
    On a 6,000 plus mile ride right now, layed up waiting for a drss moduler.

1. Drink a lot of water
    2. Eat light - breakfast we have yogurt with fruit , lunch a salad , diner what ever we want.
    3 never drive at night.
    4. Drive 90 to 150 miles per stop, tends to be longer in morning and getting short during day.
    5. Stop even for 5 minutes if very uncomfortable. 5 min stop can make the rest of that stretch very comfortable.
    6. High quality moduler helmet . we have Shuberth BMW dealers sell them. Get a good fitting size.
    We were half helmets alot on short rides at home, but on a long ride the helmet stops the head from being bounced around from wind, noise reduction and we use head sets for conversation and music.
    Remember it is all about the ride and fun, so find your comfort zone. It might get longer with time.
    Hope to meet you on the road.
    Kenn