Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Frustrating Service Experience

Fairly new Spyder owner here. 2014 RTS SE6. Took it in today for first service , less oil/filter which I had done myself,and laser align (promised by sales manager after frustrating delivery experience!). When I made the appointment, service rep told me to expect 3 - 4 hour wait.

8 1/2 hours later, I got my Spyder back! Rep says they use standard rates of 5 hours for first service and 4(!) hours for laser align. I only paid for 4, as they took off an hour for the deleted oil/filter, and the dealer picked up the laser, as promised. Rep also got really belligerant when I mentioned his earlier estimate.

Seems like an outrageous amount of time to me. How does that compare with those of you with much more experience?

Thanks, John
    Floyd County, VA

Spyder Garage

Both of those figures sound high to me. Seems like 2-3 hours for each (at most) would be more realistic.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    Both of those figures sound high to me. Seems like 2-3 hours for each (at most) would be more realistic.
    Just had our 2015 in to Kurtz Motorsports for 3,000 Mile check up and oil change. $260.00 for all.
    Traded 2013 rt s se5 for pearl white 2015 RTS se6 .
    Gloryder hubs
    622 trailer
    bumpskid
    Wife and I have been a couple since 1980
    32 years of wedded bliss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many hours

My 3000 mile service took about 2 hours. My dealer has told me a laser alignment will be about an hour.

Spyder Garage

Was this at a Ridenow dealer?
    Rawhide Kid
    2014 Spyder RT Limited. Cognac
    Goodyear, AZ

Spyder Garage

Laser alignment for those knowing what they're doing is @ 1 hours give or take.

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by rcflyrj View Post
    Fairly new Spyder owner here. 2014 RTS SE6. Took it in today for first service , less oil/filter which I had done myself,and laser align (promised by sales manager after frustrating delivery experience!). When I made the appointment, service rep told me to expect 3 - 4 hour wait.

8 1/2 hours later, I got my Spyder back! Rep says they use standard rates of 5 hours for first service and 4(!) hours for laser align. I only paid for 4, as they took off an hour for the deleted oil/filter, and the dealer picked up the laser, as promised. Rep also got really belligerant when I mentioned his earlier estimate.

Seems like an outrageous amount of time to me. How does that compare with those of you with much more experience?

Thanks, John
    Floyd County, VA
    Last edited by PaladinLV; 08-20-2015 at 12:23 PM.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

RE: Laser alignment. We had two of them done on my machines by Joe and Ann from Squared Away. The time for each RT was less than an hour.

No idea where your dealer is coming up with four hours. If he is charging shop rate plus a price for the alignment, you are getting the six foot golden shaft.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes..!!

new dealer may be in your future... all their estimates were off and wrong. If not an option get a green shop manual if not to do the work yourself to check what the shop rates should be. Flat rate times shope rates per hour will give you the price youshould pay...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

In large part, "power sports" maintenance shops just suck. Very few are worth a dingle berry. Whether MMI grad or otherwise(often just off the street), most are not going to survive via errors or think it's a cool job for very long. Even the best of the shops highest paid tech/mech or what ever you want to call them are not getting paid anywhere near the circa $100/hr labor rate.
    You can bust knuckles just as easy on car, aircraft or oil rigs...and they have nearly as high turn over, they often flow like snow birds and you see them come and go..in the aircraft world I live in anyways.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had my first 3,000 mile service done this week at the dealer. I also had him re-balance both front tires. Total time was 2 1/2 hours and cost was $240.00 . Still (for me) a bit pricey. Oil change materials are way, way overpriced.
    I can buy a gallon of Shell Rotella T6 for $21.00 and it's a full synthetic. I'll have to check Wally World for a Fram or Wix filter that'll fit. Need to find out about the O rings...where to get. Then, I'll do the changes myself.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vt. Rider View Post
    I had my first 3,000 mile service done this week at the dealer. I also had him re-balance both front tires. Total time was 2 1/2 hours and cost was $240.00 . Still (for me) a bit pricey. Oil change materials are way, way overpriced.
    I can buy a gallon of Shell Rotella T6 for $21.00 and it's a full synthetic. I'll have to check Wally World for a Fram or Wix filter that'll fit. Need to find out about the O rings...where to get. Then, I'll do the changes myself.

Order your filters and o-rings from Bajaron a sponsor here. You cannot get fram or wix filters for the Rotax engines.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Pricing

I just posted about first full service on my 2014 RT @ $225+tax Canadian. Laser alignment is $125 Canadian. Lockhart's will also install non oem tires if you want.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your dealer seems to work awfully S L O W .
    Perhaps you shouldn't waste any time while replacing them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My 3000 service was $198 and took 3 hrs!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the feedback. You all have confirmed my worst suspicions! New dealer, for sure.
    This one was 45 miles away, next nearest is 85. But I guess that's still closer than many I see
    on these threads.

Thanks again, John

Spyder Garage

Don't know where you are in Floyd County but from central part it looks to me like a run down 77 and 74 to Honda of Winston Salem would be worth your while. I go about 180 RT to them; super slab up and ride through the countryside on way home.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First 3k mile service for 2015 F3 185.00

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Don't know where you are in Floyd County but from central part it looks to me like a run down 77 and 74 to Honda of Winston Salem would be worth your while. I go about 180 RT to them; super slab up and ride through the countryside on way home.
    JayBros - thanks for the suggestion. That was my next choice, and is about a 200 mile RT for me. Now that I have the break-in service and alignment completed, and can perform my own oil changes, maybe I won't
    have to see a dealer for a long time!

Thanks, John

Spyder Garage

I would highly suggest that everyone with Dealer Issues whether it be sales or service...send an EMAIL to BRP-CanAm. They need to know and understand our dissatisfaction especially with service. I and they realize that Dealers are independent....but....the reflect against the product.
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

An unfortunate fact of Life is that if BRP doesn't know about; they sure won't be able to ever take any actions about it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Letting BRP know

Easier said than done I've found . I sent email concerning a problem and have yet to hear anything back.A year or so ago my mail was responded to the next day.Mail to BRP was not nasty ,just asking how to get a dealer problem solved.

Spyder Garage

[PHP][/PHP]
    Quote Originally Posted by WEB-WVR View Post
    I would highly suggest that everyone with Dealer Issues whether it be sales or service...send an EMAIL to BRP-CanAm. They need to know and understand our dissatisfaction especially with service. I and they realize that Dealers are independent....but....the reflect against the product.
    Craig, it had ocurred to me to contact them. I just sent off a lengthy documentation of my 3 bad experiences to the GM of the dealer. Would love to send a copy to BRP. Do you have any contact info suggestions?

Thanks, John

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like they work on straight commission...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vt. Rider View Post
    Don't know much about where ya'll live, but down here in Texas, best place to get Rotella T6 in correct weight is Tractor Supply; most everything they have on the shelf is without friction modifiers and works great in a bike.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcflyrj View Post

Craig, it had ocurred to me to contact them. I just sent off a lengthy documentation of my 3 bad experiences to the GM of the dealer. Would love to send a copy to BRP. Do you have any contact info suggestions?

Thanks, John

For information:
    Johanne Denault
    Manager, Corporate Communications
    Tel: 450.532.5173
    johanne.denault@brp.com
    For information about the product:
    Brian Manning
    Can-Am Spyder Public Relations
    Tel: 913.424.9709
    brian.manning@brp.com
    wiredgeorge Mico TX