Spyder Garage

Default Passenger audio controls not working 2015 RT-S or am I doing something wrong?

I don't believe the passenger audio controls are working, I have tried using them while the machine is at idle and it doesn't change the volume or station. Am I doing something wrong or does it not work.

Its a brand new RT-S 2015.

Thanks in advance?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The passenger volume buttons only work with the wired helmet setup!

If you have an iPod the left and right buttons will change the songs e.g. skip forward to next song or skip backward to previous song. But they wont change radio stations.

Also when using the iPod, both the driver and the passenger can long press on the forward song button and it will flip the iPod into random playlist song playing.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

If you have an iPod the left and right buttons will change the songs e.g. skip forward to next song or skip backward to previous song. But they wont change radio stations.

Also when using the iPod, both the driver and the passenger can long press on the forward song button and it will flip the iPod into random playlist song playing.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I misunderstood then, I thought it will control the volume regardless of wired or not wired. Kind of odd that it doesn't. Thanks for clearing it up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by longislandspyder View Post
    Thanks Bob, I misunderstood then, I thought it will control the volume regardless of wired or not wired. Kind of odd that it doesn't. Thanks for clearing it up.

When using the radio ....................... the passenger controls can be used to change the radio station

When using the IPOD Setting ..................... the passenger controls can change the song or change the playlist (short push changes song, long push changes Playlist.

Passenger can not control Spyder speaker volume.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't want my passengers to TOUCH my music!
    Can I just wire them up, so that they give a little shock if somebody starts monkeying with them?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    When using the radio ....................... the passenger controls can be used to change the radio station

When using the IPOD Setting ..................... the passenger controls can change the song or change the playlist (short push changes song, long push changes Playlist.

So Joe .... it doesn't need to be a wired helmet to work like that? Then Something is wrong with my RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post

Joe, my 2011 RTS will not let the passenger change radio stations only iPod songs as I said.

So maybe they changes this at some point or Radio Sound the makers of the radio did.

Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by longislandspyder View Post
    So Joe .... it doesn't need to be a wired helmet to work like that? Then Something is wrong with my RT

This is what works on my 2015 RTL.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Interesting subject. I have not yet tried (ever) the passenger controls for radio or heat. Don't know if they work, or how they work.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the 14 RTS and the passenger can change the radio station but not the volume. No Blue tooth or direct connection

How/Where can you connect a wired helmet?

Common sense would assume that the passenger could adjust the volume in their speakers lower but probably not above what the front is set at. Obviously some engineer decided "well that is stupid, why don't we do ????"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    I have the 14 RTS and the passenger can change the radio station but not the volume. No Blue tooth or direct connection

How/Where can you connect a wired helmet?

Common sense would assume that the passenger could adjust the volume in their speakers lower but probably not above what the front is set at. Obviously some engineer decided "well that is stupid, why don't we do ????"
    I read owner manual seem like passenger only control on Bluetooth helmet but you need dongle to work. I have RTS after read manual and my spyder don't have sm10 but I use both sena bluetooth talk when I ride with my wife and I don't worry about rear adjust .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hobbykim View Post
    don't worry about rear adjust .
    If you want to set thevolume of the rear speakers in can be done thru the Preference menu under Audio.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    If you want to set thevolume of the rear speakers in can be done thru the Preference menu under Audio.
    I read again only control head set volume and if you use ipot can be changed the song but not for external rear speaker.

Spyder Garage

Default ReAwakening Thread for clarification only

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Bob
    I have read the manual...it refers to the wired audio for the passenger.

I have read in the above thread the reference to a "wired helmet setup".

I have a 2014 RTS....my wife can change radio station or iPhone(iPod) song playing
    but not the volume controls.

This appears to be how it is supposed to be...but...

How do you provide wired audio to the passenger? I see no port for this....

If this is an old feature for a previous Audio system config then why leave the
    controls in place now?

Considering the fact that the RTS does not have a "non-functioning" switch for auto
    open on the frunk then why did they not just remove the up and down buttons on
    her controls?

With the Sena BT dongle connected then do these buttons then have a function?
    Can some additional wiring kit be added that makes these controls do something?
    CB/Intercom kit?

Sorry for re-awakening this beast but I want to know if this requires a BRP/Sena "farkle"
    to allow it to have a purpose?
    2014 RTS , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To get the wired helmet setup you need to add:
    Entertainment Harness.
    BRP CB system (comes with passenger jack).
    Driver Headset jack/cable.

There is no way to add the wired helmet setup without the CB system and needed harnesses as all that goes through the CB. Stupid I know but that's the way it works.

Bob