Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 RT Recall?

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RT Recall?

This says it effects the RT also. Found it on Facebook. Not sure if it's true, but it looks official.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a bit tough to read...
    Someone should PM Steve about this.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If it's true it should have been posted here first. They need to be proactive about this stuff.

Spyder Garage

it does say "a limited number----", so maybe they are just trying to kep it under the radar and direct it to those effected.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default NewB Dumb Question

I'm brand new to the Spyder family, and how things work, so I apologize for the perverbial " I got a dumb question".
    This document that Doc Humphries has posted certainly looks official. If the validity of this is confirmed by Steve???? Does this work like an auto recall??????
    1.BRP sends you a letter with information on, and instructions on how to comply with the recall
    2. You make an appointment with any BRP dealer
    3. Dealer" sends in" recall completion info.
    The catch always is: when will the part(s) be available??????????
    Thanks
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looking at the top margin . . it's printed from a web-site BRP.service. (can't make out the rest)

It also says owners should be notified.

Could this be something put out to the dealer service people?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Its a Contaminated Liquid in the Gear Position Sensor in Limited quantitys of Spyder F3 and RT models. P-codes, Trouble shifting may occur and in rare cases Sudden Heart Attack, Brain hemorage or immediate impotency?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Looking at the top margin . . it's printed from a web-site BRP.service. (can't make out the rest)

It also says owners should be notified.

Could this be something put out to the dealer service people?
    That's about what I was thinking...
    It sounds as if BRP is playing this one, "Close to the vest".

Spyder Garage

Default Not a recall, it's a TSB.

Not a recall. Based on other documents like this I have seen many times, it's a TSB or Technical Service Bulletin that someone pulled off of BOSSWeb. Thus the URL printed at the top. Users cannot get these without a BOSSWeb subscription and login (that dealers have).
    These do not get mailed to users!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Bob!
    I couldn't read the print on it well enough to determine if was just a TSB or not...

Spyder Garage

TSB's for any other vehicle on the road can be had. When is BRP going to grow up and keep their customers in the loop. They should be available for owners on their web site. We all know most of the dealers do not.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

The dealer may have given this guy a copy. According to him, he was stranded and his bike was towed in with this cause..... And since it's Facebook, you know how that is....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    TSB's for any other vehicle on the road can be had. When is BRP going to grow up and keep their customers in the loop. They should be available for owners on their web site. We all know most of the dealers do not.
    100% agree Dave!!!!!
    This is really stupid they keep this on the down low. Who are the helping by doing so?

Only thing I can think of is they have something to hide that they do not want owners to know!!!!
    Or trying to keep a monopoly on service to dealers only!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default not distributed because...

My thought is that TSBs are not made public because BRP does not want us all taking our spyders in to have the issue addressed as 'preventative maintenance'.
    They would rather just supply & fit when needed.

OK as far as it goes, but in practice what this procedure means is that spyder riders are stuck on the side of the road, pay towing fees, liaise with a dealer who may or MAY NOT have read or remembered the TSB, resulting in delay and faffing around until they, if the rider is lucky, hit on the right cause of the problems.

Not Good BRP.

How about BRP put the TSBs on a website for all to see - and rely on us as thinking adults to treat the info as "good info to have" just in case, rather than presume (if that is indeed their way of thinking) that we'll all swamp dealers demanding the fix, whether we need it or not. We're all smart enough to know that problems occur, and that our bike may suffer but equally may be totally fine! I for one would love to know what to look for in the event that my bike stops on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere!!!

PS Not conspiracy theory at all - Marketing Theory
    Last edited by loisk; 09-01-2015 at 04:53 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

uploadfromtaptalk1439936993115.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Recall

Cavman just got a new 2015 and has it in the shop at Cowtown for this problem. Don't think he got ANY notice. And so it goes. Kevin is getting it fixed and Cavman will have it back this week. Not all dealers have a tech who knows anything about the spyder. Some do more damage than they help. The fix requires the tech to take the side panel of the gear box and replace the sensor. BIG job with any problems after could be a real PIA. The job has to be done right!!

Spyder Garage

I was told what they found they called BRP about it. BRP had never seen/heard of such a thing and to send the parts so their techs could study the parts?
    Something was not being oiled inside thus my transmission went wacky. It's HCM issues.

Spyder Garage

That's what happened to mine. Got my 15 RT a few weeks ago. It went out the second day I had it. They came and picked it up and had it for a day and brought it back. They even told me about the sensor before I left with my bike. But said there was no way to tell which sensors would fail and when. My sensor went out and was flashing R and N with an E in the gear indicator box. You could get it in gear but shifting was tricky. Sometimes it shifted and other times it didn't. Luckily I was close to home when it happened. All is well now. Love my SPYDER!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xBobbyx View Post
    That's what happened to mine. Got my 15 RT a few weeks ago. It went out the second day I had it. They came and picked it up and had it for a day and brought it back. They even told me about the sensor before I left with my bike. But said there was no way to tell which sensors would fail and when. My sensor went out and was flashing R and N with an E in the gear indicator box. You could get it in gear but shifting was tricky. Sometimes it shifted and other times it didn't. Luckily I was close to home when it happened. All is well now. Love my SPYDER!!!
    And that is why you make it a recall and not a TSB. Not knowing which ones will fail and when is reason to replace them all. Having your bike die in the wrong neighborhood could lead to very bad things
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    And that is why you make it a recall and not a TSB. Not knowing which ones will fail and when is reason to replace them all. Having your bike die in the wrong neighborhood could lead to very bad things
    +100 Dave.... it's BS to know you have a problem but not do something about it leaving people stranded.

Same with the huge number of DESS issues being reported this year! It's stranding people and many dealers do not go check TSB's every day to know there is an issue..... Thus the DESS gets cleared by BUDs and they send the customer off to get stranded again.

They DO need to open this up so owners can be smart about things!

I became aware of this issue when I had the set screw on my oil drain plug.... If it wasn’t for Lamont finding the TSB on BOSSweb it would have gone down badly. None of the Dealers I talked to about it even knew about the set screw issue! I am sure there are many people running around missing that oil passage set screw because it got tossed and disregarded during an oil change by the dealer.

I have a feeling there are far too many TSB's and TST's on BOSSweb for any, or even good techs to remember all of them across all models! If they open this to us, we that truly care about or ride can have that knowledge base....

OPEN IT UP BRP PLEASE!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    +100 Dave.... it's BS to know you have a problem but not do something about it leaving people stranded.

Same with the huge number of DESS issues being reported this year! It's stranding people and many dealers do not go check TSB's every day to know there is an issue..... Thus the DESS gets cleared by BUDs and they send the customer off to get stranded again.

They DO need to open this up so owners can be smart about things!

I became aware of this issue when I had the set screw on my oil drain plug.... If it wasn’t for Lamont finding the TSB on BOSSweb it would have gone down badly. None of the Dealers I talked to about it even knew about the set screw issue! I am sure there are many people running around missing that oil passage set screw because it got tossed and disregarded during an oil change by the dealer.

I have a feeling there are far too many TSB's and TST's on BOSSweb for any, or even good techs to remember all of them across all models! If they open this to us, we that truly care about or ride can have that knowledge base....

OPEN IT UP BRP PLEASE!

Bob
    I agree 100%. Not only that, but we as owners will only concentrate on our particular bikes.

Spyder Garage

I bought a new 2015 rts se6 drove it little over a hundred mi. the spyder died shifting into 4th gear. R-N- E on the screen. If they r aware of the problem why not fix it, first not only bad p.r, law suits r probable if it dies like that on a busy freeway and some one gets hurt or worse yet dies! Lucky I was close enough to limp home. Not even a week old and in the shop. This can't be good for brp after a few 2013 spyders caught fire.

Spyder Garage

Default Frustrated with same issue

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieIndia View Post
    I bought a new 2015 rts se6 drove it little over a hundred mi. the spyder died shifting into 4th gear. R-N- E on the screen. If they r aware of the problem why not fix it, first not only bad p.r, law suits r probable if it dies like that on a busy freeway and some one gets hurt or worse yet dies! Lucky I was close enough to limp home. Not even a week old and in the shop. This can't be good for brp after a few 2013 spyders caught fire.
    Ours has 400+ miles on it 2 days on the road same thing but on a four lane highway and no shoulder to pull over on .
    just picked it up now the trans slips in first gear how could they tell me it was all fixed , that just shows they never road tested it.
    They never ran the vin before it left the shop at time of purchase or this would not have happened .
    the day we brought it in to be fixed they told me if there was a program out on it they wouldn't of let it go out but later in the day they said it was one of the one that needed to be replaced .
    so once again trailering it back to the dealer .
    2015 F3S , silver

Spyder Garage

Default DESS....

this is very similar to the dess failures going on as well. They change them as they fail...I've always said change them all then let the manufacturer deal with them. We have seen several fail more than once so even the replacements are dubious parts... hope this issue is short lived...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Recall

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    I'm brand new to the Spyder family, and how things work, so I apologize for the perverbial " I got a dumb question".
    This document that Doc Humphries has posted certainly looks official. If the validity of this is confirmed by Steve???? Does this work like an auto recall??????
    1.BRP sends you a letter with information on, and instructions on how to comply with the recall
    2. You make an appointment with any BRP dealer
    3. Dealer" sends in" recall completion info.
    The catch always is: when will the part(s) be available??????????
    Thanks
    This is not a recall. It's a tech bulletin ment for spyder dealers to be aware of.
    Traded 2013 rt s se5 for pearl white 2015 RTS se6 .
    Gloryder hubs
    622 trailer
    bumpskid
    Wife and I have been a couple since 1980
    32 years of wedded bliss