Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone replaced their glove box cover?

Mine has an unfortunate scratch - I have no idea how it got there.

My options are to buy some paint and clearcoat and hope I don't make it worse (in general, I'm not very good with paint), or buy a part # 162 for about $100 and replace the cover. However, I can't tell how it's attached to the pivoting mechanism. Glue? Screws? Some one-way-one-time connectors?

It can't be that hard, but I don't want to start prying until I know what to expect. I've looked online and can't find enough detail to tell.

Thanks in advance.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post

My options are to buy some paint and clearcoat and hope I don't make it worse (in general, I'm not very good with paint), or buy a part # 162 for about $100 and replace the cover. However, I can't tell how it's attached to the pivoting mechanism. Glue? Screws? Some one-way-one-time connectors?

It can't be that hard, but I don't want to start prying until I know what to expect. I've looked online and can't find enough detail to tell.

Thanks in advance.
    I'm about to disect my Spyder and dig under my glove box to see if I can get the lid to latch. While I'm in there, I'll look for any tips I can pass on as far as replacing the lid. I'm learning as I go.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

A sticker, decal or paint an accent color with Plastidip, then if you don't like it, peel it off.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

You have to remove the glove box. Then it's held together with those push pin things. One you take it apart the lid will come out of the hinge.

See my Tri-axis install video series for how to get the glove box out.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    You have to remove the glove box. Then it's held together with those push pin things. One you take it apart the lid will come out of the hinge.

Bob
    That's the same video I'm following to see if I can fix my latch problem

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    That's the same video I'm following to see if I can fix my latch problem

Pam
    You go Pam! PM me on facebook if you have any questions once you dig in... I will make sure your successful!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

You go Pam! PM me on facebook if you have any questions once you dig in... I will make sure your successful!

Bob
    Thanks Bob, I was going to do it today, but some other crap came up. Tomorrow and Wednesday aren't looking much better. I'll probably do it Thursday now. I want to have a clean schedule so I can be 100% focused on learning how to skin the Spyder, get the work done, and replace the tupperware. I don't want any distractions, and don't want to be rushed.

I'll buzz you if I need you to toss me a lifesaver.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Thanks Bob, I was going to do it today, but some other crap came up. Tomorrow and Wednesday aren't looking much better. I'll probably do it Thursday now. I want to have a clean schedule so I can be 100% focused on learning how to skin the Spyder, get the work done, and replace the tupperware. I don't want any distractions, and don't want to be rushed.

I'll buzz you if I need you to toss me a lifesaver.

Pam
    I am pretty busy at work this Thursday so if I don't respond I will on Friday since I will be home.

Yes don't rush. First time is a learning process. After that you will realize how easy it all was

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

If you will go online to search for wraps, www.powersportswraps.com and search their site, you'll find a dash wrap kit that will cover your damaged cover and make your bike look even cooler. And your paint skills won't be challenged. Probably for less than $150. There is a youtube video tutorial link on their site to teach you how to do it. Should take you about 10 minutes to learn all you need to know and get it goin'.

BUT, if you want to think about taking your bike to a whole 'nother level, visit www.worldclasswraps.com and pig out on their designs. I swooned. (love that Southern experession) In the $700 price range. Outstanding designs. And that's the problem, they are ALL so fantastic and the colors are, well..., just too damned many choices. The complete opposite to Henry Ford. I will get one design or the other as soon as they finish building the garage I've contracted for to house my RT. I'm using that as an excuse to give me the time to finally make a choice. Tusk or Curse of the Incas or Pinstripes or Sunburst or...... You'll have to see their Genesis 1 - 3 design which they've reported is not yet finished but when it's done... Looks like Michelangelo designed it (in fact some aspect IS Michelangelo). They explain how it's done, with a lengthy install video. All of the pieces (about 65 per design for the RT) are precision cut so you don't have to trim anything.

But I digress....
    Last edited by ricford; 08-17-2015 at 07:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

If you have "no idea" how it got there. Then it WILL HAPPEN AGAIN.

I like the decal idea someone put out there. Save your money for that next
    dealer visit.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bob
    Just found your videos - looks like just what I need. Thanks for preparing the way!
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Hammie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Double sided tape.

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post

Thanks in advance.

The dealer replaced my wife's. It was mounted to the glove box lid with double sided tape. Here is a picture of the underside.

Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got mine Hydro dipped over the Winter for around $30
    Attached Images Attached Images

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,