Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default trailering a spyder

have found many good tips on trailering one question when on the trailer do you leave the park brake set or leave it off and just strap it down have a couple of spyder riders give different answers your 2cents worth please

Spyder Garage

I've never had to trailer mine, but if I ever do it will be in 1st gear, park brake on, strapped down with 4 straps. Why would you take any chance of it moving if one of the options failed? A few good wheel chocks would be in place. that's my .02
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MZEMS2 View Post
    I've never had to trailer mine, but if I ever do it will be in 1st gear, park brake on, strapped down with 4 straps. Why would you take any chance of it moving if one of the options failed? A few good wheel chocks would be in place. that's my .02
    I leave the Spyder in neutral with the brake on.

where are you going to put the fourth strap? One over each front wheel and one through the rear wheel makes three.

I have found wheel chocks pushed into the wheels don't stay there. Since the suspension is not strapped under load, the tires flex on bumps and push out the chocks. You would have to mount chocks into the trailer floor for them to stay put.

Spyder Garage

Punctuation is your friend.

Carry on.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

if it's semi auto it doesn't matter in what gear it will still roll so best leave it in neutral. If it is manual it's not a good idea to leave it in gear cause it is rough on the transmission. Same goes for the brake so basically if you tie her down right you should not need to have it in gear or have the park brake on...this is how I towed all bikes....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

This is how I do mine. SE6 in N parking break on.

Attached Images Attached Images

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Leave the tranny in neutral. No parking brake. One tie down each wheel, three total. My Spyder has never moved. Use towels in the spokes of the wheels to prevent scratching them. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I trailer the Spyder, I do it the same as the tractor or car. Parking brake on, 4 axle straps through the wheels and 4 ratchet straps (1 each on the fronts, 2 on the rear, all 4 going at diagonals to the hooks at the 4 corners of the trailer and wheel chocks screwed to the trailer floor. It's safety first: both for the Spyder and for anyone or anything which might be nearby in the event of some kind of failure.

Sent from my little piece of paradise!
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

On my 2014 RTS - SE6, there is a warning chime if you shut off the key with the parking brake off. If a person wanted to trailer without the parking brake, they would need to disconnect the battery to silence the chime.

H2O

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SE-6 here...
    Neutral; with the parking brake on, and three straps...
    Check the straps shortly after you start your trip, and then every couple of hours after that.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by H2O View Post
    On my 2014 RTS - SE6, there is a warning chime if you shut off the key with the parking brake off. If a person wanted to trailer without the parking brake, they would need to disconnect the battery to silence the chime.

H2O
    Why? Doesn't your chime quit after about 20 seconds, like mine?
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Send a pm to Mike( Blueknight911) on how he strapped down a 2012RTS-SE5( that was mine) on a snowmobile trailer. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I have an SE5, and in my toyhauler I have parking brake on and tie downs on each front wheel and two on the back wheel going out to the corners of the garage. I have the CAN AM tie downs, got them off ebay, still pricey... but they are set up to go thru the wheels and are padded so they dont scratch. Come as a set of four.

[IMG][/IMG]
    2013 Spyder ST Limited...Akrapovic Sport Silencer, Fog Lights, Backrest, Spyderpops BumpSkid, 2014 cooling panels, BajaRon swaybar, Fox shocks, RS-S mag wheels...
    2014 Spyder RT-S, Spyderpops BumpSkid, BajaRon Swaybar, TricLED lighting, Magic Mirrors, Akrapovic Sport Silencer...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Why? Doesn't your chime quit after about 20 seconds, like mine?
    As impatient as I am, I never waited that long to see if it would quit on its own. I couldn't stand the noise so I turned the key back to the on position while I was doing whatever it was I was doing at the time.

H2O

Spyder Garage

Default Trailering my 2014 RT Limited

After reviewing many of the trailering threads I decided to follow Mike's advice and strap all three tires u-haul style. I have a 7x12 enclosed trailer with ramp door. I chose a position over the axle allowing most of the 1000+ lbs to be over the single axle rather than further forward making excessive hitch weight. Attached photos show how I did it. Real wheel used 33,000 lb ratchet strap, front wheels used 2 In 1600 lb straps. Anchors are 3/8 in 6000 lb bolted through 3/4 in advantech floor with 3/8 x 2 in carriage bolts and 1.5 in flat washers and a lock washer. I have not trailered it yet except for short test run, so if anyone has advice as to how I can improve or have errored, please comment. My initial impression is that it is pretty secure and not going to move much. I plan to leave trans in neutral with parking brake on.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RECHET STRAP METHOD

I think I'm the MIKE you are referring to , Nice job, and very nice PICS.... ........I can't believe someone actually believed me .......good for you, you won't be dis-appointed.......I only use ONE on the rear wheel ...But I'm a dare Devil .....The only thing I would caution about is the distance of the front wheel anchors from the front tires / wheels. I don't think it's possible that the Spyder can move forward though.....and this is only as strong as the weakest LINK which is the ANCHORS .....I think your's are FINE....................Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-20-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

I tie down the front wheels because someone said that they could bounce sideways and maybe be off the chocks. I'm figuring why take a risk. I don't plan on hitting anything hard enough to cause that , but then a lot a crap has happened to me that I hadn't planed for.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by budbetj View Post
    After reviewing many of the trailering threads I decided to follow Mike's advice and strap all three tires u-haul style. I have a 7x12 enclosed trailer with ramp door. I chose a position over the axle allowing most of the 1000+ lbs to be over the single axle rather than further forward making excessive hitch weight. Attached photos show how I did it. Real wheel used 33,000 lb ratchet strap, front wheels used 2 In 1600 lb straps. Anchors are 3/8 in 6000 lb bolted through 3/4 in advantech floor with 3/8 x 2 in carriage bolts and 1.5 in flat washers and a lock washer. I have not trailered it yet except for short test run, so if anyone has advice as to how I can improve or have errored, please comment. My initial impression is that it is pretty secure and not going to move much. I plan to leave trans in neutral with parking brake on.
    Mike( Blueknight911) tied down my 2012RRTS-SE5 the way you described above and my did not move on snowmobile trailer. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I loaded up the Spyder the other day for experimental reasons. I was gonna do what Mike described, but then I came up with a different plan. My trailer is open, with angle aluminum open rail sides. I had 2 straps in place. One strap went through the rear wheel and back to anchors in the rear corners. The other strap went under the front of the bike, behind the lower A-arms, then I put it over the top of the A-arms, and outside of the lower shock mount, and forward to the aluminum rail. Sorry no pics, but both straps created a nice downward and forward and backward pull. The front strap, being on the outside of the shock mounts, creates a good downward and forward pull, but also a pull that would prevent side movement too. The back strap is simply through the wheel and down/back. I don't plan to have to trailer, but now I know how I'll do it if the need arises. The way the weather looks, we might be trailering to Spyderfest
    Last edited by Mazo EMS2; 04-20-2016 at 08:34 PM.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default I like it

Quote Originally Posted by budbetj View Post
    I have a similar setup.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    When I trailer the Spyder, I do it the same as the tractor or car. Parking brake on, 4 axle straps through the wheels and 4 ratchet straps (1 each on the fronts, 2 on the rear, all 4 going at diagonals to the hooks at the 4 corners of the trailer and wheel chocks screwed to the trailer floor. It's safety first: both for the Spyder and for anyone or anything which might be nearby in the event of some kind of failure.

Sent from my little piece of paradise!
    I Concure, this is how I tie my Spyder down too!! Better safe that sorry!!!

Midnightbreeze

Spyder Garage

Default MIKE I ALSO BELIEVE YOU BUUUUT

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I think I'm the MIKE you are referring to , Nice job, and very nice PICS.... ........I can't believe someone actually believed me .......good for you, you won't be dis-appointed.......I only use ONE on the rear wheel ...But I'm a dare Devil .....The only thing I would caution about is the distance of the front wheel anchors from the front tires / wheels. I don't think it's possible that the Spyder can move forward though.....and this is only as strong as the weakest LINK which is the ANCHORS .....I think your's are FINE....................Mike
    The tie downs in my Toyhauler are not at the correct location to put the straps over the tires. I don't want to cut new holes in the floor. The Toyhauler cost a lot more than the Spyder.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

I use 4 straps, brake on and I do no go through the wheels at all. The front wheels move, I tried this a couple times and the straps were loose every time I checked them. The front I hook the ratchet straps to the cross member up front (were the sway bar passes through). I pull back to the rear. The rear I pull front and I tie off to the rear bottom shock mount. Never has been an issue.

I may have to rethink this when I bring home the F3. I will see and adjust accordingly.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

I've gone back n forth a couple times, but today I looked at the forecast and decided to load up the Spyder on the trailer. We'll arrive on Wed afternoon sometime. I've himmed n hawed on how to tie the Syyder down. I opted to do this same thing with mine. I had to alter my anchors, but no big deal. The straps over my tires are over the top and straight down, front/back, with no forward angle on the straps. I also added a 4th strap that goes under the belly, and up over each lower A arm, then forward to the front of the trailer. I can't imagine the bike moving at all.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

All look pretty good to me
    But!
    I would never tie down on any of the mechanical parts
    A frame tie rods etc

Many 2000 mi trips just going thru the wheels with micro fibre cloths to protect finish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk