Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    <snip>As far as the idea of wearing one on the highway but not in town... that's really backwards thinking. With high speed highway accident a helmet might not make much difference. In town at lower speeds (where most accidents happen), that is the exact place you want a helmet.
    Ever been hit in the head with a piece of gravel or other debris while riding 75 MPH? I haven't, but my helmet has quite a few times, and it gave me quite a jolt each time. I can't even imagine what would have happened to my head had I not been wearing a helmet. That's why I always wear one when riding; parades excluded.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Well, I think I have heard from all the helmet police. "I do this, I do that". And the best one.... "you will die a grissley death and be all yucky!" Geesh, this is the land of the free and home of the little ol' lady/politically correct! As the great 21st century philosopher, Mr. Bobby Knight once quipped:

When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my a..!
    Bobby Knight

Or, as our forefathers once opined: DON'T TREAD ON ME!
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    Well, I think I have heard from all the helmet police. "I do this, I do that". And the best one.... "you will die a grissley death and be all yucky!" Geesh, this is the land of the free and home of the little ol' lady/politically correct! As the great 21st century philosopher, Mr. Bobby Knight once quipped:

When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my a..!
    Bobby Knight

Or, as our forefathers once opined: DON'T TREAD ON ME!
    Yup, you are free to wear whatever you want, and enjoy your ride. I'm with you all the way on that. I will ride side by side with you anytime you want, as long as you ride safely I don't care whether or not you wear a helmet. It's a personal choice that we all make on our own.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mcubed45 View Post
    But, if you are going to do that, please sign the organ donor permission on your driver's license.

even if you ride with a helmet, please be an organ donor. Do something wonderful for someone you don't know. That, is true giving.
    Rawhide Kid
    2014 Spyder RT Limited. Cognac
    Goodyear, AZ

Spyder Garage

Default You've Been Indoctrinated

Walter,

I see you've only been on the forum just a month, so you may not have expected the response you got on this one.

But now you've been indoctrinated, INCLUDING being told to "rest in peace". There are only two subjects that get this sort of reaction here. You've just hit upon one of them, as you can see. The other, well... I'll just say that if you're lucky, and you stick around a while, you'll likely avoid that one altogether.

I hope you do stick around, and that you feel free to join in all the various conversations, whenever you have something to say. Also, enjoy that new RT of yours - it's a beauty. And seriously, please do continue to share both your experiences and your questions, here on the forum. We really are a friendly bunch, and you will learn a lot - I know I did.
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-17-2015 at 07:39 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Yup, you are free to wear whatever you want, and enjoy your ride. I'm with you all the way on that. I will ride side by side with you anytime you want, as long as you ride safely I don't care whether or not you wear a helmet. It's a personal choice that we all make on our own.

Pam
    Hey Pam!
    But would you ride with ME??

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

But now you've been indoctrinated, INCLUDING being told to "rest in peace". There are only two subjects that get this sort of reaction here. You've just hit upon one of them, as you can see. The other, well... I'll just say that I hope you don't stumble upon that one unaware.

Actually I won a bet. When I shared my note before publishing to another person with, shall we say, experience on the site warned me that I was entering a buzz saw and that the militant ATGATT folk would descend upon me without mercy. I countered that the short time I was on here there would be others who would at least understand if not rise in defense. That is exactly what happened. I like the folk on this forum.

As I noted in my initial note, I am still ATGATT on two wheels (which I also have) but I will indeed relax from time to time on the Spyder. Never on an expressway, never for very long. I once drove a friend's 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang convertible with V-8 engine on twisty North Carolina mountain roads. Lots of fun and no protection, just a lap strap and no safety in case of a roll over (yes, had that baby on two wheels several occasions, I took it too fast, but I was younger then). Also an accident where a BMW SUV went airborne and crossed lanes, crushed a couple of cars on the Taconic Parkway Saturday which I also rode but not near the accident. Several killed in a terrible crash where a helmet would not have helped me (which I was of course wearing in New York State). I am not cavalier and have no plans to go soon but I will go sooner or later. I figured that out. And yes, I am an organ donor, thanks.

So chatter away, be respectful, I respect all of you and appreciate your advise. Won't follow it all but I will always listen.

Now about my upcoming oil change...

Thanks...
    SpyderWalter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hey Pam!
    But would you ride with ME??

Uncle Bob? Is that you?

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Now about my upcoming oil change..."
    Only use Canola; it'll make your fries lighter and tastier!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Uncle Bob? Is that you?
    Nope! It's just my Stunt Double!

"No idiots were harmed, during the taking of that picture..."

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Just to be clear

Walter,

So you know I personally respect your right to wear a helmet or not. The "RIP", was in jest! I can't imagine why anyone would want to not wear a helmet just to protect the old between the ears computer! My brother was just running down to the parts store to pick up a part when he was hit head on by someone in a VW bug, no helmet, big hole in his skull, and he was lucky, several weeks in the Hospital, and a lot of prayers and he survived, and he has worn that "Brain Bucket" ever since, and so do I. I would Ryde with you anytime helmet or not! I also respect your right to wear what you see fit to wear!

Peace
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Get yourself underneath some mesh gear, and THEN tell us that you're cooler without it!
    We wore our mesh gear on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Saturday afternoon we said this is enough. Stripped it off and we were both far cooler and more comfortable in T shirts. We wear it when we can but when it gets too hot!!!! It comes off.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Walter,

So you know I personally respect your right to wear a helmet or not. The "RIP", was in jest! I can't imagine why anyone would want to not wear a helmet just to protect the old between the ears computer! My brother was just running down to the parts store to pick up a part when he was hit head on by someone in a VW bug, no helmet, big hole in his skull, and he was lucky, several weeks in the Hospital, and a lot of prayers and he survived, and he has worn that "Brain Bucket" ever since, and so do I. I would Ryde with you anytime helmet or not! I also respect your right to wear what you see fit to wear!

Peace
    I am Ok with this. I just believe your other comment is out of line IMO.
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWalter View Post
    But now you've been indoctrinated, INCLUDING being told to "rest in peace". There are only two subjects that get this sort of reaction here. You've just hit upon one of them, as you can see. The other, well... I'll just say that I hope you don't stumble upon that one unaware.

Actually I won a bet. When I shared my note before publishing to another person with, shall we say, experience on the site warned me that I was entering a buzz saw and that the militant ATGATT folk would descend upon me without mercy. I countered that the short time I was on here there would be others who would at least understand if not rise in defense. That is exactly what happened. I like the folk on this forum.

As I noted in my initial note, I am still ATGATT on two wheels (which I also have) but I will indeed relax from time to time on the Spyder. Never on an expressway, never for very long. I once drove a friend's 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang convertible with V-8 engine on twisty North Carolina mountain roads. Lots of fun and no protection, just a lap strap and no safety in case of a roll over (yes, had that baby on two wheels several occasions, I took it too fast, but I was younger then). Also an accident where a BMW SUV went airborne and crossed lanes, crushed a couple of cars on the Taconic Parkway Saturday which I also rode but not near the accident. Several killed in a terrible crash where a helmet would not have helped me (which I was of course wearing in New York State). I am not cavalier and have no plans to go soon but I will go sooner or later. I figured that out. And yes, I am an organ donor, thanks.

So chatter away, be respectful, I respect all of you and appreciate your advise. Won't follow it all but I will always listen.

Now about my upcoming oil change...

Thanks...
    SpyderWalter
    And what brand of tire are you considering?
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    And what brand of tire are you considering?
    kenda, kenda, kenda

Spyder Garage

Your not to old Phil I started riding 2 wheels in 1945 on a Cushman. Had to get to work! Was 12 and we were building track houses for the returning Vets. I have had 3 major mishaps in the riding time. And do have to wear a helmet. But the other gear people have to wear is in my mind a negitive mind set that they are going to crash this time. I wear the helmet because I was racing a car with no helmet and a corner came up and had to lay it down Took off both sides of my face and broke my skull from the right eye socket to my upper jaw bone. But I was so drunk I got up and rode the bike home! Also scraped off my knee down to the joint. This was in 1965 and haven't rode drinking since then. But still see no need for body armor as I like the feeling of freedom I get from the wind. So those that do and those that don't enjoy it your own way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWalter View Post
    ...I highly recommend a lovely ride without the lid once in a while, as long as your local laws allow.
    SpyderWalter

My local laws allow it, but my hair blowing around drives me crazy. It's such a habit by now, it feels weird without the lid.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TEHelms View Post
    My adjacent state has no helmet law so when I ride there I sometimes shed mine. I'll say this, having ridden two wheels for years always with the bucket on...riding without a helmet is a totally different sound experience on the Spyder. With a helmet I get all exhaust noise and without it's mostly engine sounds...very mechanical..you can really hear the cams and clatter from the valves.

I wouldn't ride on an interstate without but it's my thought that if you crash a Spyder, unless you're at a low speed, it's not going to be pretty because there's no siding this thing...you're likely coming off and as the Blood Rock song went, "we were flying along and hit something in the air."

Has anyone here come off one and walked away?
    I'll relate an incident I witnessed two years ago.

I was riding my Spyder near my home and going past a local strip mall. A man (at least my age...maybe older...I was 62 at the time) was on a Spyder RT wearing t-shirt, shorts, flip flops, and sun glasses when he pulled out of the shopping center in front of a car going down the road. The car swerved away from him, but he still hit the car going less than 20 mph...the car was going about the same speed. His Spyder was knocked into a ditch and he went flying...in his sun glasses, t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops. He hit the road and tumbled into the grass next to the road.

He did not walk away.

I got off my Spyder (and took off my helmet) and stayed with with him until the police and ambulance got there...less then 10 minutes. He was badly scraped up and was bleeding from a couple of places on his scalp. The woman who'd been driving the car was distraught, though she had done nothing wrong. When the police got there he kept telling them he had a helmet on but didn't know what happened to it. Which was not true. They took him away in an ambulance and I have no idea what happened to him after that. I do know if he'd had a helmet on he would have avoided the visible head injuries, and the EMTs there thought he had other closed head injuries.

At 20 miles an hour.

I always ride with a helmet.

If someone wants to ride without a helmet and it's legal, more power to them. But I think it's stupid.
    Last edited by flaggerphil; 08-17-2015 at 11:34 PM.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

3 days in a coma and a Moto3 split in half has kept my helmet on since.
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

After 30years working ER, I will ask you to wear it. We are vulnerable enough as it is. Protective gear works quite frequently. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440023358.556291.jpg

2015 RT-S
    2015 SE6 RT-S
    Black/Red Special Edition.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a REALLY fun topic!
    But nothing that any of us says; is going to change the minds of anyone else...
    DEAL WITH IT!

Spyder Garage

True Bob true.

2015 RT-S
    2015 SE6 RT-S
    Black/Red Special Edition.

Spyder Garage

This is a REALLY fun topic!
    But nothing that any of us says; is going to change the minds of anyone else...
    DEAL WITH IT!
    Yeah, like getting poked in the eye with a sharp stick, or hung with a new rope.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    HUH??? Why should a person not skinny dip?
    Because it frightens the neighbor's pigs...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcubed45 View Post
    But, if you are going to do that, please sign the organ donor permission on your driver's license.

For those of us who don't get to see the post titles, this ^^ is just too much!!

Does everyone else reading on their phone see the post titles all the time? Or is it just my phone that doesn't show them?

As as for the helmet thing, for my 2 cents worth, it comes down to $5 brain, $5 bucket - your choice, you wear the consequences.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Does everyone else reading on their phone see the post titles all the time? Or is it just my phone that doesn't show them?
    When you "Reply With Quote" the quote does not include the title, so starting a sentence in the title, and concluding it in the body, results in an oxymoron. Or at least an incomplete statement.

Let titles be titles and posts be posts, and ne'er the twain shall meet!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl