Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default First Time Without a Helmet

From the first time I went on two wheels I have been ATGATT follower, full face helmet, riding jacket with Kevlar panels.

Bought a 2014 RT S SE6 about a month ago in New Jersey and breaking it in as I prepare for an epic long ride this fall. Really having a good time. Already I have shed the riding jacket in this summer heat. In my wanderings yesterday I drifted into Connecticut.

Decided to take advantage of their no helmet law as an experiment. Stopped at a gas station as I realized I need some eye protection without my Shoei helmet. Rode down Route 7, which is a fine road in any mode.

At first it was disorienting and felt strange but I quickly got used to it and it was grand. Discovered the rear speakers for the first time as they are not evident with the helmet on. Surround sound, cool. Really enjoyed the experience and loved the ride. Had no problem putting back on the helmet as I pulled back into New York State.

On my epic trip I may do it again on scenic routes but will keep the helmet on Highways. A few years ago I had a low side that broke my shoulder blade. My full face helmet had three scrapes in three different directions which meant it likely saved me from more serious issues. Luckily I healed from the shoulder blade and didn't experience brain damage didn't experience brain damage didn't experience brain damage.

I know many here are religiously ATGATT and I've observed several local riders who ride in shorts, but I highly recommend a lovely ride without the lid once in a while, as long as your local laws allow.
    SpyderWalter

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You don't get to pick the day you crash.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The first time CAN be an eye opener.
    I tried it several years ago, and quickly dismissed the option...
    ...But that's just me!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

i wend down at 10 mph and broke my left scapular, 4 ribs and totaled out my helmet. so since then if i am riding i am wearing a brain bucket. it is called that for a very good reason
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I take off my helmet when riding in parades with the American Legion Riders, or when we do short hops. But for the most part, I keep it on when riding at speed. I don't preoccupy my mind with thoughts of crashing, but rather to protect my noggin from those giant bugs, flying debris, and birds**t.

Pam
    Last edited by Pampurrs; 08-16-2015 at 10:07 AM.

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Default Choices choices..!!

It was nice back when and though I may fail with the ATGATT...the helmet has become the last thing I would skimp on. Glad you got to expierience it but hope you got it out of your system...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

A long time ago, I was told dress for the crash, not the ride. or as one lady said, I would rather sweat then bled.
    Personal choice. Racing crashes proved safety gear for me works.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    I take off my helmet when riding in parades with the American Legion Riders, or when we do short hops. But for the most part, I keep it on when riding at speed. I don't preoccupy my mind with thoughts of crashing, but rather to protect my noggin from those giant bugs, flying debris, and birds**t.

Pam
    Now you've done it!
    I just HAVE to post this video again!
    Your fault!!

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Im a full face helmet guy 99% of the time. However, When doing a short local ride down in Delaware I'll lose the lid once in awhile too. Is it less safe? Sure.
    Personally, I dont try to tell anyone what or how to ride. We are all grown adults, and we all know the risks we take.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWalter View Post
    From the first time I went on two wheels I have been ATGATT follower, full face helmet, riding jacket with Kevlar panels.

Bought a 2014 RT S SE6 about a month ago in New Jersey and breaking it in as I prepare for an epic long ride this fall. Really having a good time. Already I have shed the riding jacket in this summer heat. In my wanderings yesterday I drifted into Connecticut.

Decided to take advantage of their no helmet law as an experiment. Stopped at a gas station as I realized I need some eye protection without my Shoei helmet. Rode down Route 7, which is a fine road in any mode.

At first it was disorienting and felt strange but I quickly got used to it and it was grand. Discovered the rear speakers for the first time as they are not evident with the helmet on. Surround sound, cool. Really enjoyed the experience and loved the ride. Had no problem putting back on the helmet as I pulled back into New York State.

On my epic trip I may do it again on scenic routes but will keep the helmet on Highways. A few years ago I had a low side that broke my shoulder blade. My full face helmet had three scrapes in three different directions which meant it likely saved me from more serious issues. Luckily I healed from the shoulder blade and didn't experience brain damage didn't experience brain damage didn't experience brain damage.

I know many here are religiously ATGATT and I've observed several local riders who ride in shorts, but I highly recommend a lovely ride without the lid once in a while, as long as your local laws allow.
    SpyderWalter
    RIP
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As far as I can tell; we're all adults in here. (except for ME!), and we're all capable of making the decisions that guide our lives... even the wrong ones.
    Just because the rider next to you is just bound to end up getting killed for the lack of a helmet; would you feel comfortable having them judge each and every one of YOUR decisions?

Ride your own ride; let others do the same!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Now you've done it!
    Your fault!!

And, you have done it again... Can't help to laugh every time I see that!
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

Default No question 100%AGATT!& then some

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You don't get to pick the day you crash.
    Or what will fly @ you to make you crash! Is too simple a thing to risk SO much. But again having suffered a TBI(Traumatic Brain Injury)in 2012 as a Pedestrian! Nurses confused thought I was with other bikers who had spills. If i had been on a bike I would have been better off atleast with helmet! As it was howeverpic of my 33b-day during my 9month recovery fyi (I was WORSE OFF THAN THIS!)where I lost use of my entire Left side 7times, had to learn, walk, talk, eat, EVERYTHING! ALLOVER again. Docters didnt offer percentage on my chance to live & dont know how im foing as well as I am. Mom litteraly raised me twice. But if u feel the need to risk it all. Consider what "ALL" really is! To you & yours. Yes my opnion may be biased,FOR GOOD REASON!(&then some= will walk across a parkinglot in gear fyi) more to explaine pm me for proper chat on story, or meet @ rally.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Now you've done it!
    Your fault!!

Not to be a Kill-Joy. But that crow would have taken him off his bike at that speed. I hit a sparrow on my Valkyrie at 70 mph. It hit me in my right shoulder and just about took me off. Just a little sparrow! #1, you're not ready for it and #2. By the time you react you are turned sideways, laid back and still having to deal with traveling down the road.

It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Wear your stuff.... Let the other guy find out what happens when you don't!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We must show a good example to all that wearing proper riding attire is a must. Like it or not new riders are looking and watching us.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BajaRon;1022858]Not to be a Kill-Joy. But that crow would have taken him off his bike at that speed. I hit a sparrow on my Valkyrie at 70 mph. It hit me in my right shoulder and just about took me off. Just a little sparrow! #1, you're not ready for it and #2. By the time you react you are turned sideways, laid back and still having to deal with traveling down the road.QUOTE]
    Ron,
    C'mon...
    It's John Travolta!
    If that's not tough enough; it's John Travolta playing a LAWYER!

Spyder Garage

Default AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    RIP
    This is the second time I have personally read a post from you tell a member on this board to RIP!!!

There are only TWO kinds of people you say that to. Someone who just recently passed away or someone you would like to see DEAD!!! At least that is the way see it.

I would never tell that to another member on this board!
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Before this becomes a major pissing match; let's all back away from the table, and put down the cabbages...

Spyder Garage

A great subject for a pissing match as one can see above.

I do ATGATT. Others can do what ever they desire. It is a free country.

My only objection is the scare tactics that sometimes pop up in these kinds of threads. Not sure, but don't think they help a lot.

Over and out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Before this becomes a major pissing match; let's all back away from the table, and put down the cabbages...
    No Pissing match Bob! To each there own. I will ride with you if you wear all the gear or You choose shorts & no helmet, it is your choice. This one comment by this individual just got under my skin AGAIN.

The last time I walked away from the keyboard. This time I had to say it.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Who cares if there's a pissing contest. Every one is entitled to their opinion. If you don't agree with some one, piss away or piss off.

Spyder Garage

It's your choice, but how many times have you heard/felt something bounce off your helmet when riding?

Now imagine it bouncing off your face instead...

I'm guessing that if you're not going to wear a helmet, then you're probably not going to wear any other sort of protective gear either? No real point, IMO.

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

Everyone is free to choose. However, I keep this around as a reminder of why I do what I do. My $.02
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

When I rode two wheels (I started in 1968) I NEVER rode without a helmet, even in parades. Never.

On the Spyder the only time I ride without a helmet is in some parades. Not group rides...a parade. Even then I'll usually wear at least a half helmet, but there have been some (usually veterans parades) when I only wear a hat. That way I can return salutes to other veterans along the route. As soon as the parade is over, out comes my Shoei RF 1100 and back on my head it goes.

In 1980 a full face helmet literally saved my life when I was hit from the side by a drunk driver. That's a good enough reason for me to wear one. I'm 64 years old and have no desire to go before I'm supposed to.

YMMV.

BTW, this is a pic of that helmet from 1980. It sits on a shelf of honor in my music room. It's a Simpson.

Last edited by flaggerphil; 08-16-2015 at 10:13 PM.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC