Spyder Garage

Default Another DESS Error problem - AGAIN!!!

I love my 2014 RTS. I really do! But this has got to stop. I had a DESS error earlier this summer and the dealer had the module replaced, under warranty (3500 miles)! That was great, and no more problems......until this morning (6880 miles). I went to our local post office and dropped off some letters. Came out, and there it was "DESS". The great big Orange Screen!!! I tried all the known tricks like walking away from the bike for awhile, trying the second key, turning the ignition on and off several times. Nothing worked, so I called my wife and she came to get me. We called the BRP Road Side Assistance and they scheduled a trailer pickup. We waited for an hour and a half for the trailer to arrive and haul my broken machine to the dealer, but they didn't show. So I thought I would try it one more time. Guess what, the Darn thing started!!! So I took it home and parked it in my garage. It was now too late on a Saturday to take the Spyder to the dealer, since they close at 3:00! All I can say is, thank goodness I was somewhat close to home and not 100 miles away like last Saturday's ride. What is frustrating is this is the second time this has occurred and even if they install my third DESS module, I will be afraid of being left setting somewhere in the future. After all my wife and I are heading to SpyderQuest in a few weeks. I believe if the dealer can fix it again with a new module I'll give BRP one more chance, and if this happens again, I'll have no choice but to part with my beloved Spyder. THIS SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014 RT-S Pearl White - 'Miss Pearl'

Spyder Garage

Angry DESS ERROR

My 2014 RTS is doing the same thing. Will be taking it in very soon and hope that they can repair it. Last time this happened I stopped for gas and when I was finished fuelling it up, I got the same error. I tried everything I could remember and no go....cant even get it into neutral to push it away from the pumps or get brake off.
    Cmndr

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that they STILL haven't got this sorted out for you!
    Maybe they need to look at the power connections that hook to the module?
    If power delivery isn't steady; could THAT be monkeying up the function of this system?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-15-2015 at 05:48 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REPAIRS

Quote Originally Posted by Cmndr View Post
    My 2014 RTS is doing the same thing. Will be taking it in very soon and hope that they can repair it. Last time this happened I stopped for gas and when I was finished fuelling it up, I got the same error. I tried everything I could remember and no go....cant even get it into neutral to push it away from the pumps or get brake off.
    Cmndr
    ....Oh they can repair it............the problem is the part they are using to fix this issue is DEFECTIVE.....Whoever is making the DESS modules needs to correct their PART or else this will go on for a LONG time..............BRP is still buying Defective " WINDSHIELD ARMS "......and this dates all the back to 2010........Sooooo don't hold your breath.......jmho.......Mike

Spyder Garage

I'd be just as concerned as to why the tow truck didn't show up . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LEEB View Post
    I love my 2014 RTS. I really do! But this has got to stop. I had a DESS error earlier this summer and the dealer had the module replaced, under warranty (3500 miles)! That was great, and no more problems......until this morning (6880 miles). I went to our local post office and dropped off some letters. Came out, and there it was "DESS". The great big Orange Screen!!! I tried all the known tricks like walking away from the bike for awhile, trying the second key, turning the ignition on and off several times. Nothing worked, so I called my wife and she came to get me. We called the BRP Road Side Assistance and they scheduled a trailer pickup. We waited for an hour and a half for the trailer to arrive and haul my broken machine to the dealer, but they didn't show. So I thought I would try it one more time. Guess what, the Darn thing started!!! So I took it home and parked it in my garage. It was now too late on a Saturday to take the Spyder to the dealer, since they close at 3:00! All I can say is, thank goodness I was somewhat close to home and not 100 miles away like last Saturday's ride. What is frustrating is this is the second time this has occurred and even if they install my third DESS module, I will be afraid of being left setting somewhere in the future. After all my wife and I are heading to SpyderQuest in a few weeks. I believe if the dealer can fix it again with a new module I'll give BRP one more chance, and if this happens again, I'll have no choice but to part with my beloved Spyder. THIS SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi, I had the D.E.S.S ERROR also ( 2 days ago 8/13/15).

Check my Thread" D.E.S.S KEY CODE Again" that I started, I had D.E.S.S Module + keys reprogramed on July 17th,2015, (6994 miles) and I was thinking it would not happen again , guess what it did. BRP MUST GET A GRIP ON THIS ISSUE!

Keep us posted on what happens.

I contacted my dealer ( in Vermont) the tech said that he will open up a case w/BRP and he will be in touch with me on what to do next. I am in the same boat as you. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting issue

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I'd be just as concerned as to why the tow truck didn't show up . . .
    Hatfield, this is an interesting issue. It happens to have been a communications problem between the Roadside Assistance and the truck operator. We were told by Roadside that we had to be with the Spyder when the truck arrived. So we left our house and went to the bike, where we waited for the 1.5 hours mentioned. When we did get the Spyder started and returned home, there was a phone message on my home phone from the truck driver. I called him and he told me he was instructed to call my house before he left to pick up the bike. So.......we're with the bike, he's calling my house, and no connection is made. He said he couldn't come for the bike unless he talked to me before hand. Bottom line, Roadside only gave the driver my home phone number!!!! End of story!!!!

Actually I found out that Roadside Assistance pays $200. towards a tow. The towing company wanted an additional $150. from me. The distance from where the Spyder was, and the dealer is 52 miles. So, the cost would have been $350. I don't know, but I guess that is a normal fee for that service and mileage? As it is now, if I can get the Spyder to start in my garage when I want to take it to the dealer, I may have saved myself $150.

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry to hear..!!

As I mentioned to Denna777 I don't think they have a handle on this issue. Seems even the replacement parts are faulty and we are starting to hear more and more of second time problems. They should revert to the 13 and prior ignition systems which had very little problems at least untill they figure this one out... all of this is done on an as it fails basis... way to find the faulty ones...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

A little trick I used for a temporary fix was to disconnect the positive terminal and let it set for
    30 minutes. This drains the ECM. Reconnecting will reset the system. But you will still need to
    Have the DESS Mod replaced.
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DriftersWay View Post
    A little trick I used for a temporary fix was to disconnect the positive terminal and let it set for
    30 minutes. This drains the ECM. Reconnecting will reset the system. But you will still need to
    That seems like great advice if it works consistently. I have a 2014 RTL and haven't experienced this issue yet, but I'm worried if it does happen, I'll be in the middle of nowhere. It's at least a little comforting to have another option for possibly getting the bike started and getting to civilization. Thanks for the tip.

2014 RT Limited

BajaRon sway bar, Tri-axis handlebars, shorty AM/FM antenna, Custom Dynamics HMT brake light with flash, Rivco cell phone mount, Utopia backrest w/pouch, Two Brothers exhaust. Lidlox helmet holder, FOBO TPMS, Drink2Go cup holder, WGT LED mirror light strips, Squared Away laser alignment, Kuhmo Solus 175/55 front tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DriftersWay View Post
    For Safety reasons you should always disconnect the negative terminal on a battery first. Disconnecting the negative terminal accomplishes the reset of the system also.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a MUCH safer way to pull off the same deed!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default On the Road again

Well, my Spyder was taken to my dealer on Tuesday due to the DESS error. They just called and let me know they are done with it. They once again replaced the DESS module (new part number) and this time reprogrammed the keys (both). I'll pick it up tomorrow, and with my fingers crossed every time I go to start the machine, I'll enjoy the miles I can put on it. Hopefully I'll never experience another DESS error, but I have lost a bit of faith in my machine. Anyway, this, along with a new rear tire, we're ready to head out to SpyderQuest. I look forward to seeing many of you there. It will be a pleasure to meet you after becoming acquaintances on Spyderlovers. I feel like I know many of you personally.

LEEB

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by LEEB View Post
    Well, my Spyder was taken to my dealer on Tuesday due to the DESS error. They just called and let me know they are done with it. They once again replaced the DESS module (new part number) and this time reprogrammed the keys (both). I'll pick it up tomorrow, and with my fingers crossed every time I go to start the machine, I'll enjoy the miles I can put on it. Hopefully I'll never experience another DESS error, but I have lost a bit of faith in my machine. Anyway, this, along with a new rear tire, we're ready to head out to SpyderQuest. I look forward to seeing many of you there. It will be a pleasure to meet you after becoming acquaintances on Spyderlovers. I feel like I know many of you personally.

LEEB
    I'm ALMOST glad to hear about this ......I say ALMOST, because I wish you weren't saying You have any DESS issues .....But glad it's fixed for now ......looking forward to meeting you at Spyderquest......just as a footnote I also have a 2014 RT SE...it's a basic bought in May of 14.....I just turned 15,000 miles and have only seen the DESS flash for about 2 seconds on the screen........I don't own a cell phone....I never carry my other Key , so Maybe this matters ....I don't know.......................sending you ......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Should a spare module be purchased?

I'm a little concerned about my wife getting stranded someplace. Is it possible to get a spare module and install it if the problems were to show up? Do the keys need to be reprogrammed or will replacing the module fix it? Although it sounds like this is a temporary fix.

=bob=
    2018 Limited , Champagne Metallic

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Happily never a DESS issue, on the Spyder or my Seadoos (which also had a run of DESS problems). For those of you with a State lemon law, don't be afraid to use it. Do not put up with repeat crap, four or more tries to fix OR at total of 20 business days out of service. Here is the NC lemon law, cars and bikes:http://www.ncdoj.gov/Consumer/Automo...Lemon-Law.aspx

• The problem occurs in some part of the vehicle that is covered by the manufacturer's warranty and you are within the warranty period. It does not need to be something that keeps you from being able to drive the car. For example, faulty air conditioning or peeling paint could be considered defects under the Lemon Law.
    • You tell the manufacturer about the problem in writing and give them a reasonable period, but not more than 15 days, to fix it.
    • The manufacturer makes “a reasonable number of attempts” to fix the vehicle. This means that the car has been repaired for the same problem four or more times, or that it has been out of service a cumulative total of 20 or more business days during a 12 month period of the warranty.
    • The manufacturers’ efforts to fix the vehicle fail. Under the law, they must either replace your car or buy it back. You get to decide between a comparable new car and a refund.

It is a good idea to read your warranty to find out what kind of remedies your manufacturer might offer outside of the Lemon Law.

Your rights under the Lemon Law:
    If the manufacturer hasn’t fixed your car after a reasonable number of attempts, you are entitled to choose a comparable new replacement vehicle, or a refund. The law does not spell out what a comparable new replacement vehicle is, though it would most likely be an identical make and model.

If your car is a lemon, you are entitled to a refund of:

• The full contract price including, but not limited to, charges for undercoating, dealer-preparation and installed options, plus the non-refundable portions of extended warranties and service contracts.
    • All upfront charges, including but not limited to, sales tax, license and registration fees.
    • All finance charges you incurred after you first reported the problem to the manufacturer, or authorized dealer.
    • Any incidental damages, less a reasonable allowance for your use of the vehicle.
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n