Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default HAVE YOU HAD THE 2013 RT RECALL WORK DONE YET?

I now have logged close to 1,200 miles on my RT in many different temperature conditions from mid 60's to high 90's. I have to say that for me personally, this has been a big win. No more heat from under the seat, hot panels, or gas boiling in the tank. I also had the 14,000 mile service done while it was apart, including replacing the OEM plugs & wires with BaJa Ron's. The dealer charged me a whopping $198.00 labor, a far cry from what it would normally cost. They also installed a Wolo Bad Boy air horn for me. The dealership owner commented that "all Spyders should come with this horn". Another improvement has been increased gas mileage. In 2 years, I cracked 30 mpg only once. On a recent 300 mile ride, I averaged 36.7 mpg, which make me VERY happy. The RT seems to me to have more power as well. It is a bit louder due to the removal of acoustical panels, but not at all annoying. In fact, I kinda like it.

Anyone else have any comments?
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I now have logged close to 1,200 miles on my RT in many different temperature conditions from mid 60's to high 90's. I have to say that for me personally, this has been a big win. No more heat from under the seat, hot panels, or gas boiling in the tank. I also had the 14,000 mile service done while it was apart, including replacing the OEM plugs & wires with BaJa Ron's. The dealer charged me a whopping $198.00 labor, a far cry from what it would normally cost. They also installed a Wolo Bad Boy air horn for me. The dealership owner commented that "all Spyders should come with this horn". Another improvement has been increased gas mileage. In 2 years, I cracked 30 mpg only once. On a recent 300 mile ride, I averaged 36.7 mpg, which make me VERY happy. The RT seems to me to have more power as well. It is a bit louder due to the removal of acoustical panels, but not at all annoying. In fact, I kinda like it.

You have pretty much said it all. And, its all good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I agree, a new Spyder! Also noticed increase in MPG. I'll keep this one for awhile.
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Spyder Garage

with everything you said.. And like Indyron, my fuel economy has also increased. My 2013 RT is now the bike I always hoped it would be when I first bought it. ( Well, it's actually much better now, since I've farkled the heck out of it. )
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 Rt that I had the scopes installed and acoustic panels removed.
    the air from in front of the seat is cool when riding and very little heat when stopped .
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Comment?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

OldguyinCT, your experience pretty much is the same as mine. My gas mileage is up by approximately 20%, and I can't cook frozen burritos in the glove box, anymore! I love it. Whatever changes they made are magic - performance is improved, and to add to the new sound, I put on an Akrapovic!

I'm loving it!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I know mine is not part of the problem year but I had it done on my 2010 RTS and there is a significant reduction in heat. Same observations, panels cool to the touch, gas cap cool and no more heat coming from in front of the seat either. One down fall of the air scoop installation is that my Fiber One Granola Bars are not warm when I get to work in the morning, the glove box doesn't get hot anymore! Well at least I'm able to carry my iPhone in there without it overheating.
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Spyder Garage

The difference is from this to this...
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Default RECALL WORK

I havn't had mine done yet, I really don't have an excessive heat problem with mine..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by STELLING MAN View Post
    I havn't had mine done yet, I really don't have an excessive heat problem with mine..
    Do it anyway, costs you nothing - other than time - and you will be glad that you did.
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Still getting fuel vapor after recall work;

Here in VA when the tank gets below a 1/4 and it is above 90- 95 degrees still getting fuel vapor at stops. I can still see the vapor coming out of the vent line underneath. Bike is stock!

Spyder Garage

I had mine done and so far I am very happy with it.
    2013 RT SE5
    Bajaron sway bar
    Bajaron heim links
    laser alignment from dealer
    Inspector Gadget floor boards
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Grip Puppies
    HEAT RECALL COMPLETED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do it anyway, costs you nothing - other than time - and you will be glad that you did.
    Another point to consider: when it comes time to sell it; you'll probably get a whole lot more for it with the updated parts!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclerider View Post
    Here in VA when the tank gets below a 1/4 and it is above 90- 95 degrees still getting fuel vapor at stops. I can still see the vapor coming out of the vent line underneath. Bike is stock!
    Are you sure your gas cap is on tight? I had the vapors once after the recall work was done, turned out I hadn't tightened the gas cap at the last fill-up. Heck, once (a long while back) I forgot to put the cap back on. THAT was embarrassing.

Spyder Garage

Had my 2013 RTL update done a couple of months ago but being from the "frozen tundra", I thought I had better wait for warmer weather to report in. I know the heat problems with this bike created a lot of angst within the spyder community (this forum included). With temperatures in the low 90's, I am happy to report that from my point of view, BRP has successfully mitigated the heat problems with what I call the scoops update. My bike is stock and my ride yesterday (as well as those I had after the update) was nothing short of exhilarating! Seat front, side panels, glove box, etc are all cool to the touch. The right dragon's mouth has lost most of it's output and the motor has a smoother sound to it. No negatives to report at this time but I will keep my eyes on it. Finally, to those who told us to hang on and that BRP would eventually fix this, thank you for you sage advice as you were right. Maybe now the 2013 RT can now take it's rightful proud place in the Spyder line up without feeling like the black sheep it was made out be.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclerider View Post
    Take it back to the dealer. BTW who did the 2013 recall. Mine was done last month and all is good.

Spyder Garage

I did the 2013 heat recall also, and so far I love it. I have no gas fumes, and no hot panels or glove compartment. I haven't been able to check the gas mileage yet, but I always got 30 to 32 MPG anyway.
    2013 RT Ltd. SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by papagolf View Post
    Had my 2013 RTL update done a couple of months ago but being from the "frozen tundra", I thought I had better wait for warmer weather to report in. I know the heat problems with this bike created a lot of angst within the spyder community (this forum included). With temperatures in the low 90's, I am happy to report that from my point of view, BRP has successfully mitigated the heat problems with what I call the scoops update. My bike is stock and my ride yesterday (as well as those I had after the update) was nothing short of exhilarating! Seat front, side panels, glove box, etc are all cool to the touch. The right dragon's mouth has lost most of it's output and the motor has a smoother sound to it. No negatives to report at this time but I will keep my eyes on it. Finally, to those who told us to hang on and that BRP would eventually fix this, thank you for you sage advice as you were right. Maybe now the 2013 RT can now take it's rightful proud place in the Spyder line up without feeling like the black sheep it was made out be.

Amen! I agree.
    2013 RT Ltd. SE5

Spyder Garage

I've noticed that my fuel pump is getting louder. I never heard it before the recall work or after, but 2,000 miles later it's getting more noticeable. I know the fuel system changes that were done, I'm just a little suspicious that it's getting noisy so much later. Anybody else hearing this?
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    I've noticed that my fuel pump is getting louder. I never heard it before the recall work or after, but 2,000 miles later it's getting more noticeable. I know the fuel system changes that were done, I'm just a little suspicious that it's getting noisy so much later. Anybody else hearing this?
    I've noticed this as well. I was told it's due to fuel system changes from the recall & there's nothing to worry about.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Yes... My fuel. Pump is getting louder as well after recall work was done about two weeks later I noticed that the fuel Pune was getting louder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Gas cap is on tight!

Are you sure your gas cap is on tight? I had the vapors once after the recall work was done, turned out I hadn't tightened the gas cap at the last fill-up. Heck, once (a long while back) I forgot to put the cap back on. THAT was embarrassing.

I think the cat is the culprit. A 10 degree difference in outside temperature and the heat from the cat makes all the difference. Below 90 degrees it is fine. The body panels are cooler, glove box is cooler and the gas cap is cooler. Maybe they didn't replace the canister like they were supposed to!

Spyder Garage

Default It will be going to the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Take it back to the dealer. BTW who did the 2013 recall. Mine was done last month and all is good.

I got mine done in Fredericksburg in late July! There is so much heat that just blows around the bike on hot days it is almost not enjoyable. I am going to buy some small sheets of ABS plastic and make a shield to deflect all the fan heat. I put the block off plate on, but I think some how that makes it worse for engine heat. I don't see how but it made a difference when I took it off. If the dealer has to take it apart again they are going to put a cat bypass on and wrap the headers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    I've noticed this as well. I was told it's due to fuel system changes from the recall & there's nothing to worry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjsolis.35 View Post
    Yes... My fuel. Pump is getting louder as well after recall work was done about two weeks later I noticed that the fuel Pune was getting louder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good to know I'm not alone. I guess it's the same fuel pump noise the 2014's were experiencing...Thanks.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s