Spyder Garage

Default Does the 2013 RS have heat issues

It turns out the 2014 we went and looked at was a 2013 according to the VIN. IT WAS 6/2013. It only has 2019 miles on it however I don't want her to have to deal with heat issues. Any thoughts. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you will always have heat issues on large motorcycles. You will only feel it on very hot days in stop and go traffic. The RS did change its side panelling to allow more airflow, I am not sure if that change took place on the RS 2013 or 2014. This will help if it has the airflow panels. If not, lower your offer price about 500.00 which is what it will cost you to order the panels if you find there is to much heat.
    Last edited by Tazzel; 04-19-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DDT View Post
    It turns out the 2014 we went and looked at was a 2013 according to the VIN. IT WAS 6/2013. It only has 2019 miles on it however I don't want her to have to deal with heat issues. Any thoughts. Thanks
    2013 was the year that the ST was released and a lot of the changes made for this model were also made to the RS so they could share a common platform.

In general there have not been the problems with heat on the 2013 RS's that other models experienced (the RT's were the biggies). There have been one or two people on here that have had problems but most 2013 RS owners have been happy (well the ones I've spoken to anyway:-))

When they were first released a change was made to the engine mapping to improve fuel efficiency and initially this did cause a heat problems. This was fixed very early on a remap that BRP released as a recall. So if you get a 2013 it's worth checking all the updates to the 'nanny' (computer) have been done. A dealer will be able to confirm this.

The other heat related change was separating the catalyst from the rest of the exhaust. So rather than being one unit the catalyst was placed under the rear of the engine. Some owners feel this increased heat in the engine area when in stop/start traffic.

With the 2014's BRP changed some of the body panels to include a vent on either side at the top. These panels can be retro-fitted to the 2013 models and certainly a number of 2013 owners have done that. I think the parts are relatively cheap and if your buying from a dealer may be worth seeing if they will include these in the sale. One guy in Australia has mentioned that they got a bit more wind noise after fitting the 2014 panels.

There are also some benefits of having a 2013 as opposed to an earlier model. The two I can think of straight off are:
    • Altered front chassis that put the mounting points of the shocks higher thus improving handling
    • Brembo Brakes
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 04-20-2016 at 04:48 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's a picture of a 2013, and a 2014 ST...
    The hood scoops on the 2014 are a direct bolt-on for the RS...

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We live in Houston, TX and are 2 of 6 friends with 2013 RSS/RS owners that purchased them around the same time with zero heat issues. As I have been riding motorcycles for years I think it's best to point out that any bike with a seating position practically on top of the motor will feel some engine heat.
    His - 2013 RSS SM5
    Hers - 2013 RS SE5

Proud Army Veterans!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buy yourself a Harley "Big-Twin", and let the rear cylinder cook your inner thighs for a while...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Had a 2013 rs and it cooked my legs with long pants on.

Spyder Garage

the 13 and up RT have are the best with the heat. I had an RS and it was warm, and smelled of gas when it got hot. not as bad as a 13 RT but warm. The 15 RT i have i have not had any heat issues so far but havent ridden in the real bad heat yet. they moved the radiator forward or something on the 14 and up to help with the heat issue. My biggest problem with the RS though was the riding position. Felt fine on the floor and for the ride home but after that it was too much lean forward.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Buy yourself a Harley "Big-Twin", and let the rear cylinder cook your inner thighs for a while...

What a lovely thought!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

When I took my 2013 RS in for the first service the dealer put the vented 2014 panels on, no charge. I didn't even know they were available and that he was going to install them.

Before the new vented panels were put on there was some heat, mainly around my right foot. I haven't ridden enough with the new panels to see how they might change things.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    When I took my 2013 RS in for the first service the dealer put the vented 2014 panels on, no charge. I didn't even know they were available and that he was going to install them.

Before the new vented panels were put on there was some heat, mainly around my right foot. I haven't ridden enough with the new panels to see how they might change things.
    Just to mention that the 'hot right foot' is a common issue that's been around since the original model back in 2008. The vents at the top will not help this. I have exactly the same on my 2011 RS. The heat mainly comes from having the radiator on that side and the hot air comes back at your foot. There is a scoop there that's supposed to channel to hot air away from your foot but there are big gaps around it so the hot air just comes back. In addition the Exhaust also exits that side which adds to the heat particularly in stop start traffic.

Spyderpops (site sponsor) does a simple fix for this. Has three different kits, all of which resolve different problems and are explained in detail here:
    http://spyderpops.com/gs-rs-rss/new-category-8/

For the problem you mention check out the "Air Management System" (Radiator heat) and "Missing Heat Shield" (Exhaust heat).