Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

I have contacted my Congress Representative about this issue. The DESS ERROR is BRP's problem, not ours. BRP should be held responsible for all costs related to the problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

After sending a second email to BRP, I had BRP approve the parts to be sent prior to my appointment. I took the bike last week to have my bike repaired but the parts were not arrived yet. I asked them why they could not order the parts prior for me getting there, and the answered from the dealer was that if they order parts prior to them to "troubleshooting" the bike and the order the wrong parts, then BRP will not let them return the part. Only time they can return the parts if they get prior permission from BRP. Oh well my bike will be ready next Friday. I ordered the new upgraded BRP rear shock, and the dealer needed the extra days for the order to arrive. I will let you know when I pick up my bike next week.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wengerda View Post
    After sending a second email to BRP, I had BRP approve the parts to be sent prior to my appointment. I took the bike last week to have my bike repaired but the parts were not arrived yet. I asked them why they could not order the parts prior for me getting there, and the answered from the dealer was that if they order parts prior to them to "troubleshooting" the bike and the order the wrong parts, then BRP will not let them return the part. Only time they can return the parts if they get prior permission from BRP. Oh well my bike will be ready next Friday. I ordered the new upgraded BRP rear shock, and the dealer needed the extra days for the order to arrive. I will let you know when I pick up my bike next week.
    Good luck! Keep us posted! Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The dealer called me this morning to pick up my bike, the Dess module was replaced, now cross my fingers that I wont have the same issue again.

Spyder Garage

The dealer called me this morning to pick up my bike, the Dess module was replaced, now cross my fingers that I wont have the same issue again.
    Only the DESS module, Wengerda? Aren't they supposed to replace both the DESS module and the ignition switch to cure it completely? Or is that what you mean by the "module"?
    Last edited by Peteoz; 11-19-2016 at 06:39 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

What is the dess module part #?

I hope the dess module that was replaced was under warranty.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Today, I was doing some errands, after I left the store went to start my spyder, I got the D.E.S.S KEY CODE "AGAIN" so I put a key into the ignition, got the above error, put the 2nd key into the ignition, got the same message, ( and a coarse I did not have my camera so no picture) the spyder did not start.

Put both keys in their holders ( plastic) and walked away about 50 to 60 feet, and waited for about 1/2 hour ( in my mine I was thinking of calling Roadside Assistance, if the spyder did not start the 2nd time, I did not have to call Roadside Assistance,) because it started. Then I went on my way.

Thank god!

So tomorrow I will call my dealer and tell them I got the D.E.S.S KEY CODE again. I had the D.E.S.S. Module replaced last month ( 7/17/15) and both keys reprogramed. I will post here when I can on what the dealer says. My spyder is a 2014RTS-SE6. I know this happens a lot.

I did start a " Thread last month on the above subject. I was wandering if anyone else has had this recurring problem?

Deanna
    I have a 2014 RTL with 6,000 mi. Got the DESS code once while in my garage and changing keys solved the problem. I mentioned to my dealer that I had the code once and that was it. He did not hesitate and insisted that I bring it in for the factory replacement of the key module and reprogramming of the keys. Now a 1,000 miles later, no problem. He has done this replacement on many Spyders and it solves the problem (NO DESS CODE)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jimboregon, I got what you were saying. Maybe a few hours without Tupperware in the rain let water in somewhere. Maybe humidity has something to do with it all. Nobody knows the cause, only that replacing a whole lot of bits seems to fix it.

So your idea is as good as anything else, such as magnetic fields etc. Logically, if replacing all the bits fixes it, then it's the bits themselves which are at fault ... But only sometimes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by palover View Post
    I have a 2014 RTL with 6,000 mi. Got the DESS code once while in my garage and changing keys solved the problem. I mentioned to my dealer that I had the code once and that was it. He did not hesitate and insisted that I bring it in for the factory replacement of the key module and reprogramming of the keys. Now a 1,000 miles later, no problem. He has done this replacement on many Spyders and it solves the problem (NO DESS CODE)
    Did your dealership replace the Switch?

It has been 1 year and 7 months( for since I have had the dess module, and switch replaced). *** 7 months is Oct. to April spyder is hibernation) ***. That is great to hear! Thanks for the update! Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

Hi

I think I may've found out the issue...

First post. Have been having the same issues as everyone else with DESS errors. (2014 RS-S).

However, being an Electronic Engineer, I've taken some time to try and work out the pattern between when it does and does not occur. Lots of testing doing this and that and I've come across this.

'Pay-wave' (or whatever you call them) Credit Cards and POS Cards.

YEP

100% DESS error fail if they're in my wallet in pocket and I'm near Spyder when starting.
    0% (except one possible false positive) if I stand 2m (6') away putting jacket/helmet on whilst starting.

So when I thought 'WHY' has this started
    - well, when I got Spyder I had one pay-wave card - now I have four!!
    - recent update in cards from Bank have cards that work from POS terminals from further distance (more sensitive electronics in card)
    - Can-Am DESS likely to be using same frequency band as pay-wave and hence cards may be accidentally responding to the security check.

So please anyone else, try to replicate my tests above!!

Greg@Oz
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 06:28 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Dess theory

Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    Hi

First post. Have been having the same issues as everyone else with DESS errors. (2014 RS-S).

However, being an Electronic Engineer, I've taken some time to try and work out the pattern between when it does and does not occur. Lots of testing doing this and that and I've come across this.

YEP

100% DESS error fail if they're in my wallet in pocket and I'm near Spyder when starting.
    0% (except one possible false positive) if I stand 2m (6') away putting jacket/helmet on whilst starting.

- recent update in cards from Bank have cards that work from POS terminals from further distance (more sensitive electronics in card)
    - Can-Am DESS likely to be using same frequency band as pay-wave and hence cards may be accidentally responding to the security check.

Greg@Oz

Well I had one failure 2014 RT ... and Yes I did have a cc in wallet in my rear pocket ... it has a CHIP and a Strip ..... However my card was in pocket for the 18,000+ miles before and I didn't get a DESS failure .... Was it sleeping???? .... Your Ignition Key has a Chip in it that Talks (so to speak) with the ignition Cylinder chip (?) and the range on that is about 4 inches or less .......... I think your theory isn't valid .....HOWEVER, I applaud your thinking about it and trying ..... .........Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 06:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well I had one failure 2014 RT ... and Yes I did have a cc in wallet in my rear pocket ... it has a CHIP and a Strip ..... However my card was in pocket for the 18,000+ miles before and I didn't get a DESS failure .... Was it sleeping ???? .... Your Ignition Key has a Chip in it that Talks ( so to speak ) with the ignition Cylinder chip (?) and the range on that is about 4 inches or less .......... I think your theory isn't valid .....HOWEVER I applaud your thinking about it and trying ..............Mike
    Hi

No harm taken from your reply ... However, yes, a positive read may need to be within 4 inches... but the distance an object can be to interfere with one may be much larger.

In my testing, I had to be at least 2 metres away during the entire power on cycle (up to point where 'push mode' comes on) to avoid the DESS error. I also tried this with and without my phone in my pocket or smart watch on (so it's not bluetooth or wifi at large).

In balance, I'm not saying it may not be being caused by other reasons as well (water, time, fault) but just that in my case, I can pretty much confirm its my wallet and contents (and since the rest is leather and paper/plastic, it's got to be the cards!)

Cheers anyways.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 06:44 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WOW

Has anyone else noticed - there have been almost as many Views of this thread
    as the total number of spyders sold ! !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    WOW

Has anyone else noticed - there have been almost as many Views of this thread
    as the total number of spyders sold ! !
    A double WOW

I did notice the # of Views/reply's on this thread, ( that I started 2 years ago) This thread has a lot of useful/helpful info about the D.E.S.S.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

Hi

YEP

Greg@Oz
    The following info is what I got from my dealership (July 14, 2015) about the D.E.S.S. *** Problem: Intermittently, the ignition key may not be recognized causing the unit not to start. The D.E.S.S. ERROR message will be displayed in the Cluster***

Solution: Replace the D.E.S.S. module. Program the keys using B.U.D.S referring to 2014 RT shop manual section DIGITALLY ENCODED SECURITY SYSTEM.

Technical Explanation:
    When the D.E.S.S. module sends its signal to the antenna to read the key chip, the radio frequency produced by the antenna is too strong and the key chip is saturated. The saturation changes the data transmitted back to the D.E.S.S. module causing a bad lecture of the key chip.

They have had cases where a cell phone or magnetic card, placed near the ignition switch cause this. This includes any device that may emit type of frequency.

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 and have had 2 DESS modules replaced, (July 14, 2015, & Aug. 28, 2015) and on Aug. 28th, 2015, a switch replaced, reprogrammed keys, new trailer lock, reshaped keys, trunk lock. Since then, I have not had the D.E.S.S error. I have 19,700 miles on my Spyder now.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 06:42 PM.

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

Hi

YEP

Greg@Oz
    Try it with an RFID blocking wallet and with your cards in it. Glad I have one now, just in case. It matches my tinfoil hat also.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 06:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Today, I was doing some errands, after I left the store went to start my spyder, I got the D.E.S.S KEY CODE "AGAIN" so I put a key into the ignition, got the above error, put the 2nd key into the ignition, got the same message, ( and a coarse I did not have my camera so no picture) the spyder did not start.

Put both keys in their holders ( plastic) and walked away about 50 to 60 feet, and waited for about 1/2 hour ( in my mine I was thinking of calling Roadside Assistance, if the spyder did not start the 2nd time, I did not have to call Roadside Assistance,) because it started. Then I went on my way.

Thank god!

So tomorrow I will call my dealer and tell them I got the D.E.S.S KEY CODE again. I had the D.E.S.S. Module replaced last month ( 7/17/15) and both keys reprogramed. I will post here when I can on what the dealer says. My spyder is a 2014RTS-SE6. I know this happens a lot.

I did start a " Thread last month on the above subject. I was wandering if anyone else has had this recurring problem?

Deanna
    Hi there,

We're sorry your having concerns with your Spyder!

Please definitely get in touch with your dealer. If you need to locate one near you, please do so in utilizing the following link by selecting your country and searching with your ZIP-Postal Code.

https://can-am.brp.com/content/canam...r-locator.html

Should you require further assistance from us, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at brp.care@brp.com (Please ensure to copy and paste this conversation in your email so we have the full history)

Best,

Karine-Brp-Care

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi there,

Please definitely get in touch with your dealer. If you need to locate one near you, please do so in utilizing the following link by selecting your country and searching with your ZIP-Postal Code.

Should you require further assistance from us, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at brp.care@brp.com (Please ensure to copy and paste this conversation in your email so we have the full history)

Best,

Karine-Brp-Care

The post was two years ago. I am sure Deanna's issue has been resolved for now Module and Ignition was replaced.

Spyder Garage

Hi there,

Best,

Karine-Brp-Care
    There was a time when the person managing the BRPCares profile actually offered timely and useful information from time to time and often stepped in to help directly via private message. Even helped me with a dire situation 2013 RT once.

This type of post offering no information and responding to a 2 year old long ago resolved post just for purposes of keeping your post count up for corporate management is disingenuous and shows the lack of any sort of care BRP shows its customers recently.

Consider actually offering help and being a part of the solution rather than adding to background noise. Or just close the account if you are not going to actually offer anything. This is not the first of this sort of useless cut and paste robo post from BRP.

ITS NOT HELPFUL.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi there, We're sorry your having concerns with your Spyder! Please definitely get in touch with your dealer. If you need to locate one near you, please do so in utilizing the following link by selecting your country and searching with your ZIP-Postal Code. https://can-am.brp.com/content/canam...r-locator.html
    Not helpful. In fact, counterproductive if the intention is to reassure us that BRP CARES!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hi there,

Best,

Karine-Brp-Care
    HI Karine-Brp- Care,

Thanks for your concerns, the issue has been fixed, I had this issue ( twice) in July 14,2015 & on Aug. 28th, 2015.

On July 14,2015 I had the D.E.S.S Module replaced, and on Aug. 28th, 2015 I had the D.E.S.S module & Switch replaced ( under warranty) This warranty service work was done @ Walt's Sales & Service in Derby, Vt. on the above dates.

If in the future If I have this issue again, I'll contact you directly @ brp.care.@brp.com.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

Hi there,

Best,

Karine-Brp-Care
    Holy hand grenades.... I nearly spewed my afternoon Java out my nose I laughed so hard at BRP getting in touch about a MAJOR defect/design flaw two years after Deanna's failure and over 8 years into a continuing problem.... A word of advice BRP, you should have remained silent and contacted people via PM and let the membership here trickle out the info that you're offering "help"....
    “The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”― George Carlin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gmctech View Post
    Holy hand grenades.... I nearly spewed my afternoon Java out my nose I laughed so hard at BRP getting in touch about a MAJOR defect/design flaw two years after Deanna's failure and over 8 years into a continuing problem.... A word of advice BRP, you should have remained silent and contacted people via PM and let the membership here trickle out the info that you're offering "help"....
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

Thank god!

Deanna
    Mine did the same thing. The dealer had to go to BRP and replace the whole key system. New keys and all. If you have a trailer like I did make sure they send you a new tumbler for the new keys for the trailer.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 07:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spider-rider View Post
    Mine did the same thing. The dealer had to go to BRP and replace the whole key system. New keys and all. If you have a trailer like I did make sure they send you a new tumbler for the new keys for the trailer.
    What year is your spyder?

Was the "Whole Key system replaced under warranty?

I don't have a trailer, but I did get a "new trailer tumbler.
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock