Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

my 2014 rss is in the shop now getting new dess module as i write hope it works let you know
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ssmcclub View Post
    my 2014 rss is in the shop now getting new dess module as i write hope it works let you know
    Good luck with your new D.E.S.S module, keep us posted. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got my new 710004916 module today...Dealer confirmed this is the 2016 replacement...Won't know much else about the fix until spring...On a good note, the Spyder started today and I was able to ride it back to the dealer, 228 mile round trip...larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question for Larryd

I reviewed your posts in this thread and earlier threads about your DESS problem. It sounds to me like you have your original factory-installed ignition switch. Is that correct? I'm interested because that would imply that the current BRP thinking is that the new third-generation DESS module 710004916 will correct the problem and changing to the newer ignition switch 710004413 is not needed. To me, the significance of that is that the DESS module can be changed easily once the frunk is off and requires no reprogramming of your keys. Changing the ignition switch is more involved and does require dealer reprogramming of the new keys that come with the new switch. I would like to think that they have finally resolved the problem and that changing the DESS module is all that's needed. But I don't expect BRP to come straight out and tell us that.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 03:17 PM.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    I reviewed your posts in this thread and earlier threads about your DESS problem. It sounds to me like you have your original factory-installed ignition switch. Is that correct? I'm interested because that would imply that the current BRP thinking is that the new third-generation DESS module 710004916 will correct the problem and changing to the newer ignition switch 710004413 is not needed. To me, the significance of that is that the DESS module can be changed easily once the frunk is off and requires no reprogramming of your keys. Changing the ignition switch is more involved and does require dealer reprogramming of the new keys that come with the new switch. I would like to think that they have finally resolved the problem and that changing the DESS module is all that's needed. But I don't expect BRP to come straight out and tell us that.
    Yes I have the original factory installed ignition switch with the original keys...Nothing every changed there or reprogrammed...The DESS module is very easily changed with the frunk off...

larryd
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 03:17 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Yes I have the original factory installed ignition switch with the original keys...Nothing every changed there or reprogrammed...The DESS module is very easily changed with the frunk off...
    larryd
    Thanks for the quick reply. Makes it an easy DIY job. Let's hope you can get some more riding in this season. Central PA shouldn't be snow-covered yet! BTW, who is your dealer there? You speak highly of them.

Spyder Garage

I have asked this question several times and never got a response. Since DESS errors have nothing to do with the ignition switch except for maybe possibly the antenna coil. That can be checked with a ohm meter in a couple minutes. Why is there an expectation that the ignition switch is bad and should be changed?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I have asked this question several times and never got a response. Since DESS errors have nothing to do with the ignition switch except for maybe possibly the antenna coil. That can be checked with a ohm meter in a couple minutes. Why is there an expectation that the ignition switch is bad and should be changed?
    Maybe because some dealers have been changing out both???????....... I think Deanna777 reported they did this when her problem occurred!!!!!!........... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 03:18 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Maybe because some dealers have been changing out both???????....... I think Deanna777 reported they did this when her problem occurred!!!!!!........... Mike [/COLOR]
    Agree, Mike. A non functioning antenna can be checked out. But if we're dealing with a situation where receiving the signal is marginal, or subject to interference, or the signal is too strong and saturating the receiver (all of which have been suggested as the "problem"), then I could imagine where a redesign of the antenna would be a possible cure, especially in conjunction with a redesigned DESS module. And BRP did go to the trouble to bring out an updated switch for 2014's, which Deanna now has, and then they redesigned it and updated it again for the '15's and '16's. Since larryd had a case open with BRP and they did not tell the dealer to change the switch but just use the latest DESS module, I am hoping that means BRP feels the switch change is not necessary. Maybe it never was necessary. Maybe the dealers were doing it just to be "safe". Maybe the changes in the redesigned switches have nothing to do with the antenna or the DESS module. All the "maybe's" we'll never get answers to.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 03:19 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the quick reply. Makes it an easy DIY job. Let's hope you can get some more riding in this season. Central PA shouldn't be snow-covered yet! BTW, who is your dealer there? You speak highly of them.

I deal with Kurtz Motorsports in Watsontown PA...They are a small family run business with GREAT personal service...

No snow yet, but they're saying there's a chance of flurries Sat. but then another warm up next week... A heck of blustery windy cool day today...

Where are you at in PA???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I deal with Kurtz Motorsports in Watsontown PA...They are a small family run business with GREAT personal service...
    Thanks. Always good to have a list of recommended dealers.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-23-2022 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Is the ignition switch hard wired to the DESS or, as is my understanding, the system is wireless and the key code is transmitted to the DESS? If it is wireless, then as has been previously mentioned, there is an antenna on the ignition switch for transmission of the key code information to the DESS module. So replacing the switch would seem a logical step. Yes, the ignition holds the key but if the antenna is not transmitting, the assembly needs replacing.

Not to be a pessimist but I think BRP is grasping at straws here. They don't know what to do so they replace everything. In my mind, the ignition switch just holds the key. The communication is between the key and the DESS module. The switch has nothing to do with it. I sincerely hope there is more to it that I don't understand. Wouldn't be the first time.

Is your unit consistently showing the error? According to the shop manual, there is no way to actually test the DESS module. The manual says to replace the module and if the problem goes away, then it was the module. If it does not go away, then it wasn't the module. But if your problem is intermittent, you won't know for sure if it's fixed or not. That would be the case here even if you replace both components. If your error always occurs, then the good news is you will know if it's fixed or not.

I appreciate your updates on this problem. I know you'll keep us posted on the results after the work is done Friday. Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 03:22 PM.
    Old - 2012 RTS

New - 2014 RT Limited. Spyderpops Bumpskid. Kott Grills, Bajaron Swaybar and Links, Polaris Shock Stiffeners, Custom Dynamics Brightsides Red and Yellow Fender Lights w/Turn Signal Module, Autozone Mirror LEDs, Custom Dynamics Rear Red Brightsides and HMT Brakelight with Strobe Module, Smoothspyder, Lidlox Handlebar Helmet Locks, Glo ryder 360's for Three Wheels, Pete's Graphic Kit, Mini Trailer USA Shadow.

And Growing!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BaldEagle View Post
    Is the ignition switch hard wired to the DESS or, as is my understanding, the system is wireless and the key code is transmitted to the DESS? If it is wireless, then as has been previously mentioned, there is an antenna on the ignition switch for transmission of the key code information to the DESS module. So replacing the switch would seem a logical step. Yes, the ignition holds the key but if the antenna is not transmitting, the assembly needs replacing.
    Thanks for posting on this thread. Good Luck. Post on this thread your results. I would like to keep this thread going, for new/and current spyder owners. Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

I had my DESS module replaced in order to fix a static noise in the wireless dongle.
    It went away for a while, but I'm sad to report it's back.
    I've told my dealer and BRP will address it again when it's warm enough for me to drop the Spyder off.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I had my DESS module replaced in order to fix a static noise in the wireless dongle.
    It went away for a while, but I'm sad to report it's back.
    I've told my dealer and BRP will address it again when it's warm enough for me to drop the Spyder off.
    Did you have your switch replaced also?
    Have your dealership open up case with BRP.
    Keep us posted, and please post on this "thread" for any updates that you have on the DESS module.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Just had the DESS show up again after having the module changed last spring. Such a nice day had to go for ride and got home did some chores when to park it and TADA. I will be visiting with the dealer tomorrow and showing the pic of the error and making them open a case for a new one again.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 03:23 PM.
    2020 RTL , PETROL METALLIC (DARK)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dugnvern View Post
    Just had the DESS show up again after having the module changed last spring. Such a nice day had to go for ride and got home did some chores when to park it and TADA. I will be visiting with the dealer tomorrow and showing the pic of the error and making them open a case for a new one again.
    The DESS MODULE and the SWITCH under WARRENTY. Be sure your dealership has the parts, before you have the work down. Keep us posted, and please post on this thread any updates that you have.

What is year is your spyder?

What model spyder do you have?

What is the DESS module part #?

What is the Ignition Switch part #?

Also have your dealership reprogram your keys to the new ignition switch, and have them give you a new trailer lock( if you have a trailer).
    Good luck!
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RS and have gotten the DESS code. Bike goes into the shop next week-end for a few things and I have alerted them to the code error. Hoping all will be fixed easily.

Here I sit on Monday, March 14 waiting for a tow truck to take me to Pitbull. I have an appointment tomorrow to get it fixed as well as some other work. It sucks that I only have 4053 miles on my bike and can't get it to the dealer without a tow.
    Last edited by SpyderLady; 03-14-2016 at 10:01 AM.

SpyderLady

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderLady View Post
    I have a 2014 RS and have gotten the DESS code. Bike goes into the shop next week-end for a few things and I have alerted them to the code error. Hoping all will be fixed easily.
    Take pictures and show them to your can-am dealership. Do you have warranty on your 2014 RS?

If you do the DESS MODULE and the switc
    h is under warranty.

Were you on the road when you got the DESS code error?

Be sure that your can-am dealership has the DESS MODULE/and the SWICTH before you take your spyder in.
    The DESS MODULE part # for the 2014 RS is: 710004190

Good luck and keep us posted on this thread.

***I would like to keep this thread going for anyone who has/or gets the DESS ERROR. Their is a lot of GREAT INFO. on this thread. Also, for any new spyder owners so they know/ and so they can talk to their can-am dealerships. ***

Did you have anything electronic in the storage area( below the ignition)?

If your dealership gives you a problem "have them OPEN UP A CASE with BRP.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

BIG DISCOVERY?

OK here goes.
    Disclaimer this may not work for all people, but nothing to lose.

Today, when I pulled in at home, I did not ark in my "usual" location.

I got off bike, went into the trunk, made a connection for my iPod and then restarted the Spyder. In all about 2 mins.

Bang DESS error. Walked away came back in about 5 mins - DESS error.

I tried repeatedly was about to call for a tow to the dealership, then I remembered a statement made some time ago about Wireless Interference and Saturation.

I turned the key released the brake and rolled it forward about 10 feet.

Turned it on, hit the Eco button and the DESS error was gone.

Being a "glutton" for punishment, I put the Spyder in reverse and moved it back to where it was.
    Shut it down and then restarted - NOT - DESS error!

Rolled it forward again, startup fine NO DESS error.

What was different in those 10 feet - my wireless router and my Direct TV wireless boxes. Bot frequencies are used 2.5 & 5GHz. But remember this is nit INTERFERENCE but SATURATION.

Not be be deterred, I tried ONE MORE time. This time wrapping the key in several layers of "tin" foil at the original location. Shazam! It started up.

So two things which may work for SOME people in a pinch. Carry some tin foil and try shutting off your wireless (temporarily) on your cell phone.

WHY, BRP would use 2.5 or even 5 GHz as the frequency given all the wireless out there is beyond me.
    No one knows exactly WHAT BRP did to FIX the problem (if indeed it is fixed) but I sure would like to know if it relates to frequency

Bet the "Police" models don't have this problem

AJ
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 03:24 PM.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

PaladinLV.......the real question is .....why does BRP even have this " DUMB*SS SYSTEM " in the first place ??????.......................Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 03:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    OK here goes.
    Disclaimer this may not work for all people, but nothing to lose.

Today, when I pulled in at home, I did not ark in my "usual" location.

I got off bike, went into the trunk, made a connection for my iPod and then restarted the Spyder. In all about 2 mins.

Bang DESS error. Walked away came back in about 5 mins - DESS error.

I tried repeatedly was about to call for a tow to the dealership, then I remembered a statement made some time ago about Wireless Interference and Saturation.

I turned the key released the brake and rolled it forward about 10 feet.

Turned it on, hit the Eco button and the DESS error was gone.

Being a "glutton" for punishment, I put the Spyder in reverse and moved it back to where it was.
    Shut it down and then restarted - NOT - DESS error!

Rolled it forward again, startup fine NO DESS error.

What was different in those 10 feet - my wireless router and my Direct TV wireless boxes. Bot frequencies are used 2.5 & 5GHz. But remember this is nit INTERFERENCE but SATURATION.

Not be be deterred, I tried ONE MORE time. This time wrapping the key in several layers of "tin" foil at the original location. Shazam! It started up.

So two things which may work for SOME people in a pinch. Carry some tin foil and try shutting off your wireless (temporarily) on your cell phone.

WHY, BRP would use 2.5 or even 5 GHz as the frequency given all the wireless out there is beyond me.
    No one knows exactly WHAT BRP did to FIX the problem (if indeed it is fixed) but I sure would like to know if it relates to frequency

Bet the "Police" models don't have this problem

AJ
    AJ, Next time you get the DESS ERROR take a picture, show to it to your dealer, if you have any warranty left on your the DESS MODUULE and the switch is UNDER WARRANTY.

Also try ( I got this from my can am dealership) " Turn on/off immediately and DO NOT LET THE SYSTEM SHUT DOWN, do that for 4 to 5 cycles( and I have posted the above info on this thread plus other helpful ideas) and I got the following statement from a BRP tech" ( in an email) We have had cases where a cell phone or magnetic card, placed near the ignition switch cause this. This includes any device that may emit some type of frequency".

Thanks for posting and I would like to keep this thread going for any new/or current spyder owners that may have the DESS ERROR show up on their screens(Display).

So the new/ or current spyder owners now what to do, their is some EXCELLENT information on this thread about the DESS. So they can take the info to their can-am dealerships. Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Started getting this on mine as well. 2015 RT Base SM6. The cell phone theory is interesting but i always have my phone in the same place so not sure why it would do it sometimes and sometimes not. I will take a picture and send to my dealer see what they say. Even though i dont trust them.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 03:25 PM.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Did the turn on and off 5 times without rebooting trick and the spyder started. Drove it to the dealers and it is in the shop as we speak. 2015 rts se6 with 4100 miles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post
    Started getting this on mine as well. 2015 RT Base SM6. The cell phone theory is interesting but i always have my phone in the same place so not sure why it would do it sometimes and sometimes not. I will take a picture and send to my dealer see what they say. Even though i dont trust them.
    Is this the first time that you got the D.E.S.S ERROR on your 2015 RT SM6?

When I got the D.E.S.S. error on my 2014RTS-SE6 ( first& second time) I would always have my cell phone in the back (on a hook) in the trunk.

And I got an email from my Dealership( from a BRP tech) saying " we have had cases where a cell phone or magnetic card, placed near the ignition switch cause this. This includes any device that may emit some type of frequency."

Also, and other question from the (BRP tech) ( to me) Do you know if the customer( me) has her spyder key attached to any other keys? Also, Does the customer carry both keys together?"

Also mention this to your dealership, OPEN UP A CASE WITH BRP. Do your still have warranty on your spyder?
    If so, it is UNDER WARRANTY. The part # for your 2015 RT SM6 is 710004241. I got this from my dealership when I had my both of my D.E.S.S. modules replaced( it was on a report titled " Roadster 2014-015 D.E.S.S. Error Displayed in Cluster_000104494_TST61Y014S10_en")

Also, TECHNICAL EXPLATION: When the D.E.S.S. Module sends its signal to the antenna to read the key chip, the radio frequency produced by the antenna is too strong and the key chip is saturated. The saturation changes the data transmitted back to the D.E.S.S. module causing bad lecture of the key chip.

Keep us posted about this issue. Good Luck!
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover