Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Davlin View Post
    Received the new Module yesterday and replaced it with the new part (710004916)... It looked to be the original based on the old part # and Date of manufacture. I also relocated the DESS module to the Left side (vs the right) under the left service panel by drilling a hole in a piece of the metal frame and bolting on there.... This allows no need to disconnect/reconnect the wires/unit when removing front Fascia and moves it away from the Coolant reservoir. Can post pics once I figure out how to do it. Bottom line ... No more DESS error and no need to remove the frunk or anything but the right access panel if I need to do it again. Happy, Happy!. I took every ones' advice and did not change the ignition switch. Thanks again for all the insightful feedback.
    Davlin,

Good luck with the new Module.
    Thanks for posting the part number( 710004916).

Keep us posted with the new Module.

It will happen again, if it does, replace the ignition switch, and the antenna.

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 07-01-2022 at 02:47 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Hi,

I kept on getting the message "Check Key", then "Wrong Key" on my 2019 RT LTD. Its currently at BRP assessing it for the second time. Its so annoying, as you never know where you are going to be. I will get it fixed under the warranty and as soon as I can, I will get the BRP Megatech Licence and disable the DESS system forever. The BRP dealer, said it cant be done, I know the reason being is that they only have the dealer licence and its does not allow any of those functions.
    2019 RT LIMITED , Intstalled Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by luminavanman View Post
    Hi,

I kept on getting the message "Check Key", then "Wrong Key" on my 2019 RT LTD. Its currently at BRP assessing it for the second time. Its so annoying, as you never know where you are going to be. I will get it fixed under the warranty and as soon as I can, I will get the BRP Megatech Licence and disable the DESS system forever. The BRP dealer, said it cant be done, I know the reason being is that they only have the dealer licence and its does not allow any of those functions.
    Well my take on WHY the dealer won't do it is different ..... If BRP found out they dis-abled the DESS ... they might cancel their Dealer license .... Also I think it might be illegal ( it is in the US ) ..... Mike

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well my take on WHY the dealer won't do it is different ..... If BRP found out they dis-abled the DESS ... they might cancel their Dealer license .... Also I think it might be illegal ( it is in the US ) ..... Mike
    I talked to my dealer up here in Canada, and he showed me in black and white the instructions/warning that BRP supposedly sends to ALL of it's dealers. It states, in part, that any dealer that gets a license (other than the dealer license) is subject to immediate dismissal from the dealership roll.. bruce

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Any one new or current members on this website, here is the The Thread that has a lot of excellent info. about the D.E.S.S.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just spent 6+ hours compiling a spreadsheet from this thread. The results are as follows;

Of the 978 posts to date, only 71 (7.3%)were actual unique reports of DESS error or failure.

Of the 71 reports of DESS error or failure, only 7 (10%) reported their bike as disabled (stranded); 90% reportedly were able to get the bike restarted after awhile.

Of the 10% reporting being stranded, ALL were in 2015 (all 2014 RTs) and it is possible they did not try changing keys, cycling on and off, getting other RF-enabled or BT-enabled devices away from the ignition switch. In other words, it is possible that nobody's DESS actually failed but rather just caused a warning and non-start under certain conditions.

Of the 71 reports, 21 reported having the DESS module replaced. Of these 21, 3 reported having the DESS module replaced multiple times.

Of the 71 reports, no consistent causation pattern emerged, although the 7/31/2019 BRP Bulletin provides the most logical explanation, supported by theories posited by PaladinLV and others, that the problem was being caused by some DESS modules putting out an excessive RF signal, causing the key chip to become temporarily oversaturated and unreadable. This would account for the efficacy of such D-I-Y solutions as changing keys, cycling the ignition on and off, wrapping the key in tin foil, or putting a non-chip key in the ignition with a chipped key near it.

One person reported their 2017 F3 Ltd developed an intermittent DESS warning AFTER having their ECU flashed by Monster https://www.monsterfuelinjection.com/spyder . Another person (AY4B) reported their DESS issue was resolved after having a Monster ECU Flash. Yet another person (2dogs) believes that a Monster Stage 2 flash disables the DESS module, as the delayed start-up time is eliminated with the Stage 2 flash. That makes sense to me; the Stage 1 ECU Flash does not bypass the startup screen but the Stage 2 does.

A number of people either had the DESS module disabled / bypassed by someone (not a dealer) with the appropriate version of BUDS, or they intended to have it done. Finding someone close by who could do it for them seemed to be an issue as there are only a handful of members with the proper BUDS software.

Of the 71 reports, 51 were 2014 models, mostly RTs but also 1 STS. 15 were 2015 models, mostly RTs, but including 2 F3S models. One was a 2016 F3L and two were 2017 F3L. There was one 2019 RTL who reported a "wrong key" or "check key" warning but not a DESS error per se.

Of the 71 reports, 24 were reported in 2015, 28 in 2016, 4 in 2017, 3 in 2018, 5 in 2019, 1 in 2020, 3 in 2021 and 3 so far in 2022.

My personal conclusions from this analysis are;
    * The DESS error affected mostly 2014 and 2015 RTs, and only a small number of those model years.
    * The DESS error was not a fatal one that would leave a rider permanently stranded; it was an intermittent one
    * For those bikes affected by this issue, replacing the early DESS module with another DESS module of early vintage often was a wasted effort; BRP didn't really understand and resolve the problem in new DESS modules until 2019
    * The only guarantee of never having the DESS error occur is to disable the DESS altogether, however, the vast majority of bikes of 2014 and 2015 vintage will not experience the DESS problem
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-25-2022 at 03:27 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I just spent 6+ hours compiling a spreadsheet from this thread. The results are as follows;

Of the 978 posts to date, only 71 (7.3%)were actual unique reports of DESS error or failure.

Of the 71 reports of DESS error or failure, only 7 (10%) reported their bike as disabled (stranded); 90% reportedly were able to get the bike restarted after awhile.

Of the 10% reporting being stranded, ALL were in 2015 (all 2014 RTs) and it is possible they did not try changing keys, cycling on and off, getting other RF-enabled or BT-enabled devices away from the ignition switch. In other words, it is possible that nobody's DESS actually failed but rather just caused a warning and non-start under certain conditions.

Of the 71 reports, 21 reported having the DESS module replaced. Of these 21, 3 reported having the DESS module replaced multiple times.

Of the 71 reports, no consistent causation pattern emerged, although the 7/31/2019 BRP Bulletin provides the most logical explanation, supported by theories posited by PaladinLV and others, that the problem was being caused by some DESS modules putting out an excessive RF signal, causing the key chip to become temporarily oversaturated and unreadable. This would account for the efficacy of such D-I-Y solutions as changing keys, cycling the ignition on and off, wrapping the key in tin foil, or putting a non-chip key in the ignition with a chipped key near it.

One person reported their 2017 F3 Ltd developed an intermittent DESS warning AFTER having their ECU flashed by Monster https://www.monsterfuelinjection.com/spyder . Another person (AY4B) reported their DESS issue was resolved after having a Monster ECU Flash. Yet another person (2dogs) believes that a Monster Stage 2 flash disables the DESS module, as the delayed start-up time is eliminated with the Stage 2 flash. That makes sense to me; the Stage 1 ECU Flash does not bypass the startup screen but the Stage 2 does.

A number of people either had the DESS module disabled / bypassed by someone (not a dealer) with the appropriate version of BUDS, or they intended to have it done. Finding someone close by who could do it for them seemed to be an issue as there are only a handful of members with the proper BUDS software.

Of the 71 reports, 51 were 2014 models, mostly RTs but also 1 STS. 15 were 2015 models, mostly RTs, but including 2 F3S models. One was a 2016 F3L and two were 2017 F3L. There was one 2019 RTL who reported a "wrong key" or "check key" warning but not a DESS error per se.

Of the 71 reports, 24 were reported in 2015, 28 in 2016, 4 in 2017, 3 in 2018, 5 in 2019, 1 in 2020, 3 in 2021 and 3 so far in 2022.

My personal conclusions from this analysis is that;
    * The DESS error affected mostly 2014 and 2015 RTs, and only a small number of those model years.
    * The DESS error was not a fatal one that would leave a rider permanently stranded; it was an intermittent one
    * For those bikes affected by this issue, replacing the early DESS module with another DESS module of early vintage often was a wasted effort; BRP didn't really understand and resolve the problem in new DESS modules until 2019
    * The only guarantee of never having the DESS error occur is to disable the DESS altogether, however, the vast majority of bikes of 2014 and 2015 vintage will not experience the DESS problem
    Well thank you very much .... you can / will feel extremely confident that DESS MODULE FAILURE isn't anything to be concerned about.............. I had mine dis-abled and am thinking about hooking it back up

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well thank you very much .... you can / will feel extremely confident that DESS MODULE FAILURE isn't anything to be concerned about.............. I had mine dis-abled and am thinking about hooking it back up
    Well, particularly since I'm having Stage 2 ECU Flash done by Monster!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The new Modules do not have Ferrel as the bulletin states. The old Module did have the Ferrel. Or at least mine did.

I replaced my Module twice. Antenna was replaced last winter. So far all good.

the radio frequency produced by the antenna was too strong and
    the key chip was saturated

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    The new Modules do not have Ferrel as the bulletin states. The old Module did have the Ferrel. Or at least mine did.

I replaced my Module twice. Antenna was replaced last winter. So far all good.

the radio frequency produced by the antenna was too strong and
    the key chip was saturated
    Yeah, it's unclear to me whether the signal issue was one of the DESS module producing too strong an RF signal, or if the problem is in the antenna. From the way they worded it, I think they suspect it's most likely the DESS module signal.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, it's unclear to me whether the signal issue was one of the DESS module producing too strong an RF signal, or if the problem is in the antenna. From the way they worded it, I think they suspect it's most likely the DESS module signal.
    No, it's the Antenna is too Saturated and the DESS module could not decode the key.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    No, it's the Antenna is too Saturated and the DESS module could not decode the key.
    So, do you think a small Faraday shield between the key and the DESS antenna might help???? I now carry a piece of alum foil, but I also have some very thin shim stock in steel, that I may try also. I think that the signal just needs to be attenuated a little.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

HI,

Can we stay on THIS TOPIC!!!!

Can someone from the moderators step in on this thread?

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

It IS being watched very closely Deanna, and AFAICS, until very recently, while it arguably may have been beating the bushes around the edges juuust a little, it was still discussing the DESS key code issues & their occurence, short term remedies, & resolution....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    It IS being watched very closely Deanna, and AFAICS, until very recently, while it arguably may have been beating the bushes around the edges juuust a little, it was still discussing the DESS key code issues & their occurence, short term remedies, & resolution....

Peter Aawen,

Thank You!

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

My personal conclusions from this analysis are;
    UtahPete,

I would like to say "Thanks for posting this info and taking the time to do it.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    UtahPete, I would like to say "Thanks for posting this info and taking the time to do it. Deanna
    Deanna, it would not have been possible without your diligent pursuit of a solution to this issue via your epic thread. Kudos.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Deanna, it would not have been possible without your diligent pursuit of a solution to this issue via your epic thread. Kudos.
    UtahPete:

I am helping other spyder riders (new and old to this site) so they are aware of the DESS problem with a lot of excellent info. Thanks!
    P.S. That is how I roll!

I help other spyder riders on this site.

Again Thank You!!!

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

HI Everyone,

I currently don't have any new info.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Bump

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Oem 2014 RTS never had a DESS issue. When Can Am released the newest parts, I had the dealer replace the key switch, antenna, and module. Again, with the new parts, never had an issue.

Got Buds and Buds2 for doing ROLO Laser Alignments. Turned off DESS and like my mod to the side body panels so they can not come loose, now I never even worry a second about DESS acting up.

If a person were smart enough about stealing Spyders, they would flatbed it to get it. There is no way to walk up to a Spyder and know if DESS is deactivated. Plus, even if a thief knew the start ritual, I doubt they would want to wait around as the computers boot up. Tilting flatbed, it would be gone in under 60 seconds, DESS or not.

Besides, ours has an alarm that is fairly loud and draws attention, might even keep the flatbed guys from taking it, or maybe not.

Given the chance if you get it, pay the short money if needed and disable DESS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Oem 2014 RTS never had a DESS issue. When Can Am released the newest parts, I had the dealer replace the key switch, antenna, and module. Again, with the new parts, never had an issue.

Got Buds and Buds2 for doing ROLO Laser Alignments. Turned off DESS and like my mod to the side body panels so they can not come loose, now I never even worry a second about DESS acting up.

If a person were smart enough about stealing Spyders, they would flatbed it to get it. There is no way to walk up to a Spyder and know if DESS is deactivated. Plus, even if a thief knew the start ritual, I doubt they would want to wait around as the computers boot up. Tilting flatbed, it would be gone in under 60 seconds, DESS or not.

Besides, ours has an alarm that is fairly loud and draws attention, might even keep the flatbed guys from taking it, or maybe not.

Given the chance if you get it, pay the short money if needed and disable DESS.
    HI PMK,

I am glad that you got your DESS shut off.

When I originally had the first DESS error (and when I started this thread) I had the OEM DESS Module, Antenna, key programmed/changed by my Can Am dealer here in Vt. They did the work under warranty. As posted in the beginning of this thread, I also had the DESS module replaced again, all of which was under warranty.

I agree with you about what you said.

I have been lucky so far.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-08-2022 at 04:54 PM. Reason: ...or( an... ;-)

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

I am starting to receive the "DESS" key error. Sometimes the bike will start immediately and other times I may have to wait 10 minutes. Any suggestions on how to I fix this? I don't want this to happen and I'm on a road trip and can't get back home.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 09:04 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here you go. Lots to read on the topic, especially in this thread. Please let us know what bike you have.

It's the DESS module and/or the DESS antenna.

Or some will say have it disabled.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Removed link to itself after merging this & previous post. :-)

Spyder Garage

Just remember disabling is option on 2014 and newer.
    2010 RT
    2015 Ural
    1980 & 1982 R65 BMW
    1975 R90/6 BMW
    1956 Triumph TR3A