Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Seems your Spyder either came with or possibly already had a warranty replacement to DESS 71000490.
    The 710004190 is a second generation DESS, and not the original part number installed in the 2014. Maybe yours was a later build if the DESS module is original.

I believe we have read here that others too have had failures of the DESS module 710004190, but not as frequent as the first generation modules.

The part number 710004916 is the latest generation DESS module and has an excellent history of no failures that I have heard of.

Seeing another failure of the 710004190 would have me speculate that owners with that DESS module might consider upgrading to the latest generation module or carrying one as a spare to lessen disappointment if traveling and avoid towing fees or shop fees, even availability concerns if and when truly needed.
    A second option would be to disable the DESS system via BUDS.

Was the cost of the 710004916 still approximately $125?
    HI PMK,

July 15th 2015 I had the DESS module part number installed ( 710004190). Mileage at time of install was 6,994.

Then I had the DESS module part number installed again( 710004190) and Switch part number( 710004413), mileage of install was @ 8,740.00.

My spyder still has the above DESS and Switch part numbers, and the current mileage is 29,123.
    I have not had any DESS errors.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Seems your Spyder either came with or possibly already had a warranty replacement to DESS 71000490.
    The 710004190 is a second generation DESS, and not the original part number installed in the 2014. Maybe yours was a later build if the DESS module is original.

I believe we have read here that others too have had failures of the DESS module 710004190, but not as frequent as the first generation modules.

The part number 710004916 is the latest generation DESS module and has an excellent history of no failures that I have heard of.

Seeing another failure of the 710004190 would have me speculate that owners with that DESS module might consider upgrading to the latest generation module or carrying one as a spare to lessen disappointment if traveling and avoid towing fees or shop fees, even availability concerns if and when truly needed.

The DESS I removed had a "Born on" date of 22/03/2014 on it.
    I paid ~$155 including tax for the new one, from a local dealer.
    It was similar price on Amazon (maybe $5 less).
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

You are only able to disable the DESS MODULE on 2014 and newer CANAM,s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Donbmw View Post
    You are only able to disable the DESS MODULE on 2014 and newer CANAM,s
    Yes, those with earlier model years were fortunate not to need disabling the DESS as the DESS worked without fault. Can Am changed a system that worked fine in previous years to a few years of problems.

If you read the majority of this topic, 99.9% is focused on 2014 and later Spyders, and the person that started this topic does have a Spyder within that range of years.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post
    The DESS I removed had a "Born on" date of 22/03/2014 on it.
    I paid ~$155 including tax for the new one, from a local dealer.
    It was similar price on Amazon (maybe $5 less).

Seeing that, quite possibly your Spyder still had an original DESS module from the factory. As I mentioned, the part number posted was a Gen II version, which was revised again shortly after being released. Very likely Can Am or its vendor realized the issue was not fully corrected, and came out with the DESS module version you just installed.

Your new DESS module should work well and last.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Any idea when BRP changed to the later DESS module on the production line? My 2014 RT has a build date of 06/2014. The DESS has never given me a moment's fit.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Any idea when BRP changed to the later DESS module on the production line? My 2014 RT has a build date of 06/2014. The DESS has never given me a moment's fit.
    14 to 16 some did and most didn't. However if you ever got the screen of death, it was going to fail at some point. Mine did in 2015 and I got the latest DESS module under warranty ( no antennae needed ) .... then the " Joel the Biker " canceled my Module .... so no further issues were possible .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes, those with earlier model years were fortunate not to need disabling the DESS as the DESS worked without fault. Can Am changed a system that worked fine in previous years to a few years of problems.

If you read the majority of this topic, 99.9% is focused on 2014 and later Spyders, and the person that started this topic does have a Spyder within that range of years.
    My 2014 RTS-SE 6 was born on 03/20/2014 @ 17:15:16.

I am the one who started this thread.

Deanna

My 2014 RTS-SE6 was born on 03/20/2014 @ 17:15:16.

I don't know when BRP changed the DESS module on the production line.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-12-2021 at 07:15 PM.

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

At a guess, yours has the 710003140 DESS module. If Madison Sully could post the build date of his Spyder, it would let you know where yours falls in line. It seems that Madison Sully had the 3140 module from new, and your Spyder being a very late, almost a 2015, makes me think you have the 3140 also.

Our Spyder was kind of an earlier 2014, built in 01/2014 and is #1080. It had the first gen module when new.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

PMK, do you know offhand if BUDS shows part numbers? My memory is such that I don't recall seeing, or not seeing, part numbers when I've had BUDS connected. Probably, in the length of time it's taken me to type this question, I could have gone out in the garage and plugged BUDS in and gotten the answer!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

PMK, do you know offhand if BUDS shows part numbers? My memory is such that I don't recall seeing, or not seeing, part numbers when I've had BUDS connected. Probably, in the length of time it's taken me to type this question, I could have gone out in the garage and plugged BUDS in and gotten the answer!
    I do not believe it displays the DESS Part Number, can not recall ever seeing it, but then again if wrong, I accept that since it is not something I checked for.
    My point in obtaining the latest DESS at this time is to be proactive vs reactive. Can Am is setting a trend with how and what they allow dealers to live by. Also, it seems that supply shortages are not predictable, so replacing the DESS module to the latest version, which has a very good reliability record, or disabling DESS may be a prudent action, provided it is not cost prohibitive. While some of us have BUDS capability, not all dealers can deactivate DESS if needed or requested.
    Surprisingly, when I offered DESS deactivation here locally, nobody took me up on it. I suspect that if and when DESS fails for some of the locals, it will be expensive to get the machine back up and running since I am not doing "house calls".

Spyder Garage

I don't know when BRP changed the DESS module on the production line.

My spyder was born on 03/20/2014 @ 17:15:16.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

PMK,

My spyder was born on 03/20/2014 @ 17:15:16.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

DESS 1.pdf

Posted Bulletin again

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    DESS 1.pdf

Posted Bulletin again
    Thanks

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

At a guess, yours has the 710003140 DESS module. If Madison Sully could post the build date of his Spyder, it would let you know where yours falls in line. It seems that Madison Sully had the 3140 module from new, and your Spyder being a very late, almost a 2015, makes me think you have the 3140 also.

Our Spyder was kind of an earlier 2014, built in 01/2014 and is #1080. It had the first gen module when new.
    My spyder VIN sticker has a DATE: 04/2014 noted on it.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post
    My spyder VIN sticker has a DATE: 04/2014 noted on it.
    Kind of indicates a basis, granted, in general, that the 3140 series may have been installed as early as April of 2014 on the production line. The latest 916 version may not have madethe production line until things were sorted out, guessing late 2015 models.
    One thing known is the 916 version of the DESS module is the latest revision, and has a very good reliability record. You should get good results from upgrading to the latest DESS module.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I went thru two of the New version Dess modules and was not going to replace it again. So this time it was time for the antenna to be replaced. Time will tell if that solves the DESS key icon on the cluster.

Spyder Garage

My 2014 STS started throwing the DESS error and won’t start. Temporarily stranded yesterday, after multiple attempts over 20 min it eventually started. I swapped keys to my original spare (never used this key before) and the Spyder starts right up with no error. I’m looking for experience and advice on this issue please. Could I have a bad key, or bad ignition? Can this key be relearned / matched to the bike? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you! UPDATE: now the second key is having the same DESS error
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:42 PM.

ViperWolf (work ryde & play ryde)
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ViperWolf View Post
    My 2014 STS started throwing the DESS error and won’t start. Temporarily stranded yesterday, after multiple attempts over 20 min it eventually started. I swapped keys to my original spare (never used this key before) and the Spyder starts right up with no error. I’m looking for experience and advice on this issue please. Could I have a bad key, or bad ignition? Can this key be relearned / matched to the bike? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
    You are one of the few I've ever heard of that has had the DESS issue with the V-twin engine .... This issue started with the 2014 ... 1330 engine management system ...... Like yours the DESS module didn't go into TOTAL failure mode, however once this begins it NEVER self corrects permanently. What has worked for most is getting the latest re-placement Module. Look in my Albums for pics of where it is located. The most difficult thing is remove the Frunk. Swapping out the module is easy. .... After mine failed I moved the module to a location that was accessible without removing the Frunk .... Then I was able to get the DESS system canceled. ... Not many folks heave this ability - not even the dealers ( who wouldn't perform it anyway .... BRP won't let them ..... good luck .... the module should be available thru cheapcycleparts, for about $135.00 .....Mike

Spyder Garage

If you get the error again( I hope you don't), try this: Turn the ignition switch on/off immediately for 4 to 5 cycles and DO NOT LET THE SYSTEM SHUT DOWN. This helps.

Also, do you have any keys or cellphones near the ignition switch? That might cause the D.E.S.S. error.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-19-2021 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Fixed link after merge!

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Read the bulletin posted. Ignition has nothing to do with the DESS. Sounds like you are more of a Module candidate.

Spyder Garage

I changed the Antenna this past winter. So far no issues.
    Hi, I have a 2013 STL. Lately I’m not able to start after pressing the mode button, and I need to wait for about 10secs before I'm then able to fire-up.

Now it doesn’t fire-up after waiting for about 10secs. I have to off/on the ignition then wait about 10secs to fire-up and sometimes have “BAD KEY” appear on screen.

Wonder will it work by changing the DESS antenna?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:43 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JonYiong View Post
    Hi, I have a 2013 STL. Lately I’m not able to start after pressing the mode button, and I need to wait for about 10secs before I'm then able to fire-up.

Now it doesn’t fire-up after waiting for about 10secs. I have to off/on the ignition then wait about 10secs to fire-up and sometimes have “BAD KEY” appear on screen.

Wonder will it work by changing the DESS antenna?
    Do not know about your Model, the bulletin posted was for the 14 and 15 MY models. Have you tried another key for starters and check your battery terminals too?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Do not know about your Model, the bulletin posted was for the 14 and 15 MY models. Have you tried another key for starters and check your battery terminals too?
    Yes I do try the other key, same result.

As for battery terminals, what are the things to look-out for?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:45 PM.