Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboregon View Post
    After a week of sitting with the cover on, I went out this morning, and fired up the bike just like normal, no DESS ERROR!!!! Fixed itself!!!

One great thing that has come of this, I've found out that I have towing coverage in my State Farm Comprehensive coverage, I have towing coverage from my AMA membership, and as long as my BRP Warranty is in place, I have $200 per incident towing coverage from BRP. I don't recall that ever being mentioned by the salesman, but after sending a nasty gram to BRP, that was the reply I got from them! I also don't recall ever seeing that mentioned in any of the threads on this forum, but I could have easily missed it!
    Congrats! that your spyder fixed itself after sitting a week.

That is great to hear that you have "Towing coverage on your State Farm Comprehensive, and thru your AMA membership, and from BRP ( $200 per incident towing coverage). Thanks for the update!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

As I stated above, I had the error code last week, covered the bike up, and tried it again this morning, with success. My wife came up with a possible suggestion as to the cause of the code!! Last week I replaced the Headlights in my bike, and it was raining at the time. To replace the headlights, most of the Tupperware has to be removed, seat up, exposing the key switch to the weather.

What I want to know is, how many of you have experienced a DESS ERROR code after the key switch has gotten wet??? Is this one of the possible causes of the error code???
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 06:16 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Knock on wood ..But I have had my ignition wet on several occasions and have not had the DESS issue yet. I would rule out wet conditions for the problem

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As I stated above, I had the error code last week, covered the bike up, and tried it again this morning, with success. My wife came up with a possible suggestion as to the cause of the code!! Last week I replaced the Headlights in my bike, and it was raining at the time. To replace the headlights, most of the Tupperware has to be removed, seat up, exposing the key switch to the weather.

What I want to know is, how many of you have experienced a DESS ERROR code after the key switch has gotten wet??? Is this one of the possible causes of the error code???
    NO , this is not a cause ..... as you can see Jim, your post is post # Six Hundred and something on this topic .... I'm not going to repeat everything that has been said!!!!! .... You need to do some reading & learning ..... I will tell you that once you get the DESS code ...it never cures itself, not PERMANENTLY ...... It can do it multiple times and then Re-start, but at some point, it will STOP YOUR SPYDER completely ..... Your dealer needs to connect your Spyder to BUDS and verify the DESS code error, then BRP will send the parts under WARRANTY .... Don't let them tell you it's not in the computer (BUDS) .. nothing disappears from the computer ..... unless attacked with a Hammer or Bleach-Bit .....good luck ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 06:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

The Problem ( I got the info from my can-am dealership) " Intermittently, the ignition key may not be recognized causing the unit not to start. The D.E.S.S. ERROR message will be displayed in the Cluster.

Solution: Replace the D.E.S.S. module. Program the keys using B.U.D.S.

Technical Explanation: When the D.E.S.S. module sends its signal to the antenna to read the key chip, the radio frequency produced by the antenna is to strong and the key chip is saturated. This saturation changes the data transmitted back to the D.E.S.S module causing a bad lecture of the key chip.

*** the following is from a BRP Tech We have had causes where a cell phone or magnetic card, placed near the ignition switch cause this. This includes any device that may emit some type of frequency.*** Also, I have posted the above info near the beginning of this thread.

I have had the D.E.S.S. module replaced twice, July14th, 2015,/Aug. 28th, 2015 Mileage on spyder was : 6,994/8,740) and the switch replaced once( Aug. 28th, 2015).

If you get the D.E.S.S. error again( which I hope you don't) try TURN ON/OFF IMMEDIATELY DO NOT LET YOUR SYSTEM SHUT DOWN 4 TO 5 CYCLES. This worked for me. I have a 2014RTS-SE6. The first /second time when I had the D.E.S.S. error the ignition was dry. Hope this helps! Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Knock on wood ..But I have had my ignition wet on several occasions and have not had the DESS issue yet. I would rule out wet conditions for the problem
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

DESS error a half dozen times. Never been even damp.
    2020 RTL Chrome Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble_B View Post
    DESS error a half dozen times. Never been even damp.
    You've misunderstood what I said. Another possible cause. The key was in the ignition the entire time I was working on the headlights, about 2 hours in the rain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Post answers

You've misunderstood what I said. Another possible cause. The key was in the ignition the entire time I was working on the headlights, about 2 hours in the rain.

Did you read post # 604?????......................Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 06:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Did you read post # 604?????......................Mike [emoji106]
    Yes, I read your post.

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 06:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Today, I was doing some errands, after I left the store went to start my spyder, I got the D.E.S.S KEY CODE "AGAIN" so I put a key into the ignition, got the above error, put the 2nd key into the ignition, got the same message, ( and a coarse I did not have my camera so no picture) the spyder did not start.

Put both keys in their holders ( plastic) and walked away about 50 to 60 feet, and waited for about 1/2 hour ( in my mine I was thinking of calling Roadside Assistance, if the spyder did not start the 2nd time, I did not have to call Roadside Assistance,) because it started. Then I went on my way.

Thank god!

So tomorrow I will call my dealer and tell them I got the D.E.S.S KEY CODE again. I had the D.E.S.S. Module replaced last month ( 7/17/15) and both keys reprogramed. I will post here when I can on what the dealer says. My spyder is a 2014RTS-SE6. I know this happens a lot.

I did start a " Thread last month on the above subject. I was wandering if anyone else has had this recurring problem?

Deanna
    I have a 2014 RTL with 6,000 mi. Got the DESS code once while in my garage and changing keys solved the problem. I mentioned to my dealer that I had the code once and that was it. He did not hesitate and insisted that I bring it in for the factory replacement of the key module and reprogramming of the keys. Now a 1,000 miles later, no problem. He has done this replacement on many Spyders and it solves the problem (NO DESS CODE)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jimboregon, I got what you were saying. Maybe a few hours without Tupperware in the rain let water in somewhere. Maybe humidity has something to do with it all. Nobody knows the cause, only that replacing a whole lot of bits seems to fix it.

So your idea is as good as anything else, such as magnetic fields etc. Logically, if replacing all the bits fixes it, then it's the bits themselves which are at fault ... But only sometimes.

Spyder Garage

OK. I guess you misunderstood my reply. The answer to your question is, NO. It is not the root cause of the DESS message that is affecting dozens of owners.
    2020 RTL Chrome Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by palover View Post
    I have a 2014 RTL with 6,000 mi. Got the DESS code once while in my garage and changing keys solved the problem. I mentioned to my dealer that I had the code once and that was it. He did not hesitate and insisted that I bring it in for the factory replacement of the key module and reprogramming of the keys. Now a 1,000 miles later, no problem. He has done this replacement on many Spyders and it solves the problem (NO DESS CODE)
    Did your dealership replace the Switch?

It has been 1 year and 7 months( for since I have had the dess module, and switch replaced). *** 7 months is Oct. to April spyder is hibernation) ***. That is great to hear! Thanks for the update! Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble_B View Post
    OK. I guess you misunderstood my reply. The answer to your question is, NO. It is not the root cause of the DESS message that is affecting dozens of owners.
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

I got my first dess error a while back. I used the other key and it has worked. It's going to the shop tomorrow for another issue and I will bring this up. I usually keep my bike inside. However that morning I had left it outside. I have one of Lamonsters in plain sight key toppers, and had left the key in the ignition. It was the first cool night. I have tried it since and it has worked and not worked. No commonality between the failures, other than it is like me, some days I want to work, and some I don't !!!!
    " Fat people are harder to kidnap "

2015 RTS-SE6 Circuit Yellow
    Akrapovic Exhaust - BajaRon Sway bar
    Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Lamonster LED Head Lights - LED Fog Lights
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    Ultimate Midrider Seat w/ Yellow Trim - Rear Armrests
    Spyderpops Bumpskid with LED - Full view Turn Signal
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    3rd Brake light - Saddle bad LED
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Doc's Spring Stiffeners - Vibration Dampener
    TRICLED underground LED'S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquain View Post
    I got my first dess error a while back. I used the other key and it has worked. It's going to the shop tomorrow for another issue and I will bring this up. I usually keep my bike inside. However that morning I had left it outside. I have one of Lamonsters in plain sight key toppers, and had left the key in the ignition. It was the first cool night. I have tried it since and it has worked and not worked. No commonality between the failures, other than it is like me, some days I want to work, and some I don't !!!!
    Tim the Module doesn't repair itself ...... I'll bet your Spyder has the older Module, and this issue will get worse not better. Eventually your Spyder will NOT START ..... PERIOD ..... Annnnnd you don't need PICS to prove this happened .... it's logged into the computer, you may not be able to retrieve that code now .... But - BUDS can ..... Nothing disappears from the computer ... not even if you hit the delete key ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 06:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Tim,

Get the switch replaced ( part # 710004413) it is "under warranty". Post the part # for the D.E.S.S module, so new/and current spyder owners now. Thanks!

Keep us posted!

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WELL HAPPY EASTER TO ME

I got the DESS error today on EASTER.. That really made my day

Starting to wonder if it was related to a recent Farkle?? But that is just a thought at this point...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 06:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Starting to wonder if it was related to a recent Farkle?? But that is just a thought at this point..
    Not very likely ...... the DESS module is extremely limited to what it's SPHERE of influence is/does etc ...... You have been given notice by you Spyder ..... this is the beginning ..... it doesn't self - cure ..... no matter what BS a dealer may tell you ..... If you are coming to the Homecoming look me up and I'll show where my MODULE is now ..... If mine fails, I can fix the problem in less than five minutes with my eyes closed ...... The best BRP tech alive can't say this ....... But then they have to work with OEM Spyders ........... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 06:24 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not very likely ...... the DESS module is extremely limited to what it's SPHERE of influence is/does etc ...... You have been given notice by you Spyder ..... this is the beginning ..... it doesn't self - cure ..... no matter what BS a dealer may tell you ..... If you are coming to the Homecoming look me up and I'll show where my MODULE is now ..... If mine fails, I can fix the problem in less than five minutes with my eyes closed ...... The best BRP tech alive can't say this ....... But then they have to work with OEM Spyders ........... Mike

Getting quotes now for a new DESS Module..I really didn't think it would go away since its getting worse.. .. Probably turn it off so I can still ride.. May look into that quick change feature myself..

Spyder Garage

Starting to wonder if it was related to a recent Farkle?? But that is just a thought at this point..
    What year is your spyder?

What spyder model do you have?

If you have warranty on spyder it is covered. Take it your dealership, and be sure your dealership has the DESS Module . Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Getting quotes now for a new DESS Module..I really didn't think it would go away since its getting worse.. .. Probably turn it off so I can still ride.. May look into that quick change feature myself..
    "Probably turn it off so I can still ride" ????? ..... you do realize that the dealer isn't going to do this .... and as far as I know only "Joel the biker" (NY) and JC Thorne (Tx) can do it ...... (not will, but can) ...... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 06:25 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Probably turn it off so I can still ride" ????? ..... you do realize that the dealer isn't going to do this .... and as far as I know only "Joel the biker" (NY) and JC Thorne (Tx) can do it ...... (not will, but can) ...... Mike

YEP that is the plan. Turn it off so I can ride.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 06:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

YEP that is the plan. Turn it off so I can ride.
    Are you doing this with a Magic wand ??? ..... Mind over Matter ????? .... cause the Dealer isn't DOING IT .... or did you miss that part on my post . ?????? ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 06:26 PM.