Spyder Garage

Bump

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Lew, when I read your post, I was thinking Monster might be a great upgrade for performance and to eliminate the DESS. I called Wick-It, the US Monster agent, and was told their upgrade cannot disable the DESS. I was hoping but no dice - so I'm replying for others to know Monster/Wick-It is NOT a solution for DESS.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:53 PM.
    2014 RTS
    2014 RTS SM6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dgdecker View Post
    Lew, when I read your post, I was thinking Monster might be a great upgrade for performance and to eliminate the DESS. I called Wick-It, the US Monster agent, and was told their upgrade cannot disable the DESS. I was hoping but no dice - so I'm replying for others to know Monster/Wick-It is NOT a solution for DESS.
    I have not heard of Monster-Wick It. What/Who are they?

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:54 PM.

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    I have not heard of Monster-Wick It. What/Who are they?

Deanna
    They are ECU tuners ..... they can re-write the ECU for more Power ( HP ) and a few other things .... but apparently not the DESS sytem ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Is there anyone in the vicinity of Connecticut that has the software to shut off the D.E.S.S.? My wife's 14 ST gave her that fault today, once. She cycled the key once and all was fine.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    Is there anyone in the vicinity of Connecticut that has the software to shut off the D.E.S.S.? My wife's 14 ST gave her that fault today, once. She cycled the key once and all was fine.
    The nearest person I know of is a member " Joel the Biker " .... He is in NY near Binghamton ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The nearest person I know of is a member " Joel the Biker " .... He is in NY near Binghamton ..... Mike
    Thanks for the info! I'll have to drop him a PM and see if he's interested. I'm hoping it was just a freak incident but I highly doubt it.

Is the DESS module plug and play or does it require coding with the BUDS software? Meaning, if I buy the module, can i install it myself?
    Last edited by GearHd; 03-19-2022 at 08:37 AM.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    Thanks for the info! I'll have to drop him a PM and see if he's interested. I'm hoping it was just a freak incident but I highly doubt it.

Is the DESS module plug and play or does it require coding with the BUDS software? Meaning, if I buy the module, can i install it myself?
    Right after mine was fixed (at Spyderfest 2015 ) at home I moved the module to a location under the right Headlite. YES IT'S almost - P&P ... look at my pics in my album about this .... if you can remove the frunk ... just dis-connect the plugs and un-bolt the DESS .... the OEM harness will stretch to the area under the headlight without any cutting / splicing of the Wires ( you will have to CUT the wire Ties though ).... If you move the orig. DESS to this location NOW ... you will be able to re-place it in the DARK, without a flashlight if you have a NEW module with you ...just un-plug the bad one and connect the new one.... then when you get home you un-bolt the bad and bolt in the new ..... From everthing I've ever read about the DESS .... once it begins to fail ( But can still be made to work ) it WILL eventually Never allow a re-start. Likely Far from Home and or a DEALER who will NOT have the part in stock ...... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-19-2022 at 04:32 PM. Reason: mad eto = made to ;-)

Spyder Garage

Bump

This is for anyone who is looking for D.E.S.S info.

This thread has some great info.

If anyone has/have newer spyder models that has had the D.E.S.S. Error please post on this thread.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

I'm new to the group with a used 2014 RTL with 29000 miles 3 months ago. I read and was aware of the DESS issue before I bought it thanks to this forum. I'm mechanically inclined and work on my own stuff.... Well.. ... it's now my turn to deal with the issue. This thread has been extremely helpful, albeit I've now read all of it vs skimming thru the highlights. I bought the updated #710004916 DESS module, but the ignition switch part # Appears to have been updated again to #710005640 from the previously updated part # 710004413. Can someone confirm that to be the case and that it will fit the 2014 RTL? All indications are it does. I plan to replace the Module and ignition and then take to a dealer to reprogram the ECM to accept the new keys. That appears to be the best total solution. Will also be moving the Module behind the right headlight like as described in the thread. Thanks, I'd appreciate confirmation on the updated ignition part #. OBTW, Been ride 2 wheels for 40+ years and I love this thing! It is a new and different riding experience that my wife actually seems to enjoy more than our 2 wheelers. .. I'm hooked.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Davlin View Post
    I'm new to the group with a used 2014 RTL with 29000 miles 3 months ago. I read and was aware of the DESS issue before I bought it thanks to this forum. I'm mechanically inclined and work on my own stuff.... Well.. ... it's now my turn to deal with the issue. This thread has been extremely helpful, albeit I've now read all of it vs skimming thru the highlights. I bought the updated #710004916 DESS module, but the ignition switch part # Appears to have been updated again to #710005640 from the previously updated part # 710004413. Can someone confirm that to be the case and that it will fit the 2014 RTL? All indications are it does. I plan to replace the Module and ignition and then take to a dealer to reprogram the ECM to accept the new keys. That appears to be the best total solution. Will also be moving the Module behind the right headlight like as described in the thread. Thanks, I'd appreciate confirmation on the updated ignition part #. OBTW, Been ride 2 wheels for 40+ years and I love this thing! It is a new and different riding experience that my wife actually seems to enjoy more than our 2 wheelers. .. I'm hooked.
    You didn't say whether you got the " orange screen of Death ie. Module failure ?????? .... Most folks didn't need the Antennae ( ignition switch ) to be changed just the MODULE .... Not ALL the Original modules have failed ... and yours may not...... Unless it fails I would leave it alone ..... PM me if yours does and I can help you with it ..... Mike

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree with Mike saying that all original modules do not fail. I have 67,000+ kms. on my ‘14 RTS SE6 and still have the original module.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You don't need an ignition switch; the antenna goes around the switch at the top, so a switch would be a waste of money.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies and insight. I can get it started some of the time, however all the tricks mentioned in the thread are needed. I now get the Orange screen with 'DESS Error' along with a picture of a key that over takes the entire screen more than 75% of the time. Is that what everyone refers to as the screen of death? The frequency of the DESS error has steadily increased over the past 3 months as was originally predicted here. We've been stuck all over the place and no longer enjoy rides that are not start at home (if I can get it started) /end at home. I already ordered the module, but will wait until I replace that before doing anything with the ignition itself. I have 3 keys and when it wants to start, all 3 keys will start it. Thanks again for the insight, will keep you posted.

Mike, If the module doesn't eliminate the DESS issue, I'll make arrangements with you.

Dave

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies and insight. I can get it started some of the time, however all the tricks mentioned in the thread are needed. I now get the Orange screen with 'DESS Error' along with a picture of a key that over takes the entire screen more than 75% of the time. Is that what everyone refers to as the screen of death? The frequency of the DESS error has steadily increased over the past 3 months as was originally predicted here. We've been stuck all over the place and no longer enjoy rides that are not start at home (if I can get it started) /end at home. I already ordered the module, but will wait until I replace that before doing anything with the ignition itself. I have 3 keys and when it wants to start, all 3 keys will start it. Thanks again for the insight, will keep you posted.

Mike, If the module doesn't eliminate the DESS issue, I'll make arrangements with you.

Dave
    YES!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

When you get the D.E.S.S module please post the updated part Number?

Would you please post the new updated Ignition part number?

So that other spyder riders know what the latest D.E.S.S module and Ignition Switch parts are.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Bulletin states not to replace the ignition switch. Its either the module or the antenna.

Sounds like you are going to change it anyway.

I would save your money and not do it , but it's your money..

And any updated part number should be posted online when you look up the part numbers posted , if there are any up dated part numbers.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by trikermutha; 06-29-2022 at 04:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Dave
    " Arraignments with me " ?????? ..... .... and Yes " the orange screen of Death " .... You have been Lucky to this point .... The DESS module NEVER heals itself ... It will FAIL completely .... IF the module doesn't fix it ... then do the ANTENNEA in the ignition Switch .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-30-2022 at 12:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    The Bulletin states not to replace the ignition switch. Its either the module or the antenna.

Sounds like you are going to change it anyway.

I would save your money and not do it , but it's your money..

And any updated part number should be posted online when you look up the part numbers posted , if there are any up dated part numbers.
    trikermutha,

I got the same DESS info when I got my DESS modules and the Ignition Switch changed.

Since then I have not had the DESS error.

I have the DESS module part # 710004190 and the Switch part # 710004413. I have a 2014 RTS-SE6.

It has been 7 years since I have had the DESS Module and the Switch replaced.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    trikermutha,

I got the same DESS info when I got my DESS modules and the Ignition Switch changed.

Since then I have not had the DESS error.

I have the DESS module part # 710004190 and the Switch part # 710004413. I have a 2014 RTS-SE6.

It has been 7 years since I have had the DESS Module and the Switch replaced.

Deanna
    Thats because they did not know what the cause was and just were throwing parts at the Spyder.

Unless you were have ignition switch problems there was most likely nothing wrong with your original switch.

The antenna is mounted on the ignition switch and runs down to the Dess module .

So they did the antenna and the switch with the Dess or just the switch and DESS?
    Last edited by trikermutha; 06-30-2022 at 01:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Thats because they did not know what the cause was and just were throwing parts at the Spyder.

Unless you were have ignition switch problems there was most likely nothing wrong with your original switch.

The antenna is mounted on the ignition switch and runs down to the Dess module .

So they did the antenna and the switch with the Dess or just the switch and DESS?
    I had the DESS (part Number # 710004190) module changed twice (both times under warranty) and the Switch (part Number# 710004413) replaced twice (both times under warranty). They said resolution Replaced switch and DESS Module.

I also posted on this thread that I had the DESS and the Switch replaced, and the Can Am dealership reprogrammed the keys and gave me a new trailer lock. That happened in 2015. Since than I have not had the DESS or Switch problems.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-01-2022 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Caps & spaces ;-)

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unless you had ignition switch problems too then the switch was most likely not the problem.

So I am moving on from this topic.

Spyder Garage

Received the new Module yesterday and replaced it with the new part (710004916)... It looked to be the original based on the old part # and Date of manufacture. I also relocated the DESS module to the Left side (vs the right) under the left service panel by drilling a hole in a piece of the metal frame and bolting on there.... This allows no need to disconnect/reconnect the wires/unit when removing front Fascia and moves it away from the Coolant reservoir. Can post pics once I figure out how to do it. Bottom line ... No more DESS error and no need to remove the frunk or anything but the left access panel if I need to do it again. Happy, Happy!. I took every ones' advice and did not change the ignition switch. Thanks again for all the insightful feedback.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-01-2022 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Left, not right...

Spyder Garage

Received the new Module yesterday and replaced it with the new part (710004916)... It looked to be the original based on the old part # and Date of manufacture. I also relocated the DESS module to the Left side (vs the right) under the left service panel by drilling a hole in a piece of the metal frame and bolting on there.... This allows no need to disconnect/reconnect the wires/unit when removing front Fascia and moves it away from the Coolant reservoir. Can post pics once I figure out how to do it. Bottom line ... No more DESS error and no need to remove the frunk or anything but the left access panel if I need to do it again. Happy, Happy!. I took every ones' advice and did not change the ignition switch. Thanks again for all the insightful feedback.
    .... I love members who can think out of the Box .... I did this about 4 years ago, (see album pics) However I moved the DESS module to under the right headlight ... This gave me super easy access .... I could work on it by just opening the Frunk - no panel Bolts to remove only the black plastic service panel which pops out ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-01-2022 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Left ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hate to be the one with bad news but it could still come back. Even after you replaced the module. May not happen right away but could happen. Anyway. Good Luck