Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Deleted

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How many have really been stranded??

When mine acted up I just keyed it off and back on and it cleared the message. What is weird it always seemed to be when I was getting gas.

Anyway mine was hit and miss so I went with what the bulletin said.

Relocating will work but you will have to re - route wires and remove the frunk.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post

When mine acted up I just keyed it off and back on and it cleared the message. What is weird it always seemed to be when I was getting gas.

Relocating will work but you will have to re - route wires and remove the frunk.
    Back in 2014 I was stranded and bike had to be trailered home...I had a total pf 3 modules...THEN GOT IT TURMED OFF ON OUR WAY TO AMERICADE AT A REST STOP BY A FORUM MEMBER...THANK YOU...NO PROBLEMS SINCE...larryd

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

... but let me ad, my fix involved NO Wire cutting .... the OEM wire harness ( for the DESS module itself ) is long enough to move it under the right headlight. you will have to clip the wire ties to get it to stretch that far though..... good luck ... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have attached the Bulletin again on the DESS issue.
    Thank you! Saves me searching through thousands of posts!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Go to my Bio page and then to my Albums.https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=4936 I have pics of the DESS module where it was and where I moved it to. From what I've learnt from others and myself, the module rarely fails completely on the first incident; it seems to be a progressive thing. But once it happens you need to take action ASAP.

The most difficult thing about removing the Frunk (lots of videos on it) is re-connecting the rubber elbow for the air intake. Go to cheapcycleparts.com & look at the Fiche'; it will show you all the parts and how they line up. None of the bolts you remove are actually "weight bearing"; what carries the weight are the metal hangers attached to the front upper frame. The frunk has reliefs that go on those two hangers. The upper two middle 10mm bolts don't have to be replaced; what the 10mm bolts do is to prevent any frunk movement that will allow it to come off the hangers so they aren't really stressed at all. I wouldn't bother getting upset if you can't re-attach that elbow. It doesn't have to be AIR TIGHT and it's not likely to get any water into it if it isn't. I removed the entire plastic Air intake and have a 3in. pipe into my airbox (as seen in another album https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=4749)

If you have time, move the DESS module like I did because if it craps out it will only take you 10 min to fix if you have another module. The mega-tech BUDS license is not cheap.
    Mike, thanks for this. What I understand you to be saying is to relocate the DESS module while in the garage. So that, if it craps out on the road, and IF you have a spare DESS module, you can easily replace it without tearing into the machine. I get that. But, doesn't that then require resetting the DESS with BUDS?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Mike, thanks for this. What I understand you to be saying is to relocate the DESS module while in the garage. So that, if it craps out on the road, and IF you have a spare DESS module, you can easily replace it without tearing into the machine. I get that. But, doesn't that then require resetting the DESS with BUDS?
    Good question .... When I re-located it ... it was the new one , and it was working. ... I was there when the BRP Tech's fixed mine. After they re-placed the DESS they just started it up .... As I re-call they didn't connect it to the BUDS computer first .... Maybe Billy Bovine or Snowbelt Spyder could answer that ??? .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Thank you! Saves me searching through thousands of posts!
    Yeah I figured it be easier .

To bad the post cant be picked by year.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You dont have to hook up to BUDS if the module is replaced.

Plug and play.

Spyder Garage

trikemutha,

I was not stranded when I had the D.E.S.S error( it happened twice for me).

The first time when it happened I was able to start the bike, turned key on/and off, took the key with me and walked and waited about 1/2 hour, then the bike started.

Then I called the dealership and that is how it all started. Then I started this thread ( in 8/13/2015).

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Deleted

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

About all, if not the only thing, that DESS does is reads the code from the key and sends it to the Body Control Module (I think) which then compares the code with the stored OK codes list. If a match is found the BCM tells the ECM it's OK to start the engine.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I still have my Frunk loose , I will take a picture of its current location for the DESS module.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just remember that for many of us replacing the module multiple times with BRP's latest and greatest module...NEVER FIXED THE PROBLEM...TURNING OFF THE DESS SYSTEM DID...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Just remember that for many of us replacing the module multiple times with BRP's latest and greatest module...NEVER FIXED THE PROBLEM...TURNING OFF THE DESS SYSTEM DID...larryd
    Also for those that owns a 2013 and older. You can’t disable the DESS.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And along with changing the module did you replace the antenna per the bulletin?
    According to BRP its one or the other.

I didn't know the 2013 models had DESS issues. (2014-2016)

Spyder Garage

If I still have my Frunk loose , I will take a picture of its current location for the DESS module.
    I have pics of it posted in an Album .... Mike

Spyder Garage

And along with changing the module did you replace the antenna per the bulletin?
    According to BRP its one or the other.

I didn't know the 2013 models had DESS issues. (2014-2016)
    There were a few but it was very rare ..... Then BRP engineer decided to fix something that wasn't broke .... and we all know how that turned out ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Donbmw View Post
    Also for those that owns a 2013 and older. You can’t disable the DESS.
    I guess you mean 2013 & EARLIER than 2013 Spyders, cos all those who have told us here that they've successfully turned the DESS off and since ridden many thousands of issue free miles have owned/been riding 2014 & on Spyders?!? As for the 2013's & earlier Spyders, they had the older (& more reliable) DESS system & I don't think we've had many (if any??) issues with them reported here.

To disable the DESS on the 2014 & newer machines, it takes BUDS & a MegaTech Licence (I think that's the correct level) which apparently not all Dealers bother to get. Some owners have even bought just a 1 month licence simply so they could turn their 2014 on Spyder's DESS off, and I don't know of any who've been unable to do that successfully, once they've got the correct level licence.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-13-2021 at 04:48 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Bump

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I did notice if i have my Garmin on the cradle I get that problem. I just make sure there is nothing near the key when i start the bike.( my son had a Honda car with a broken chipped key and a plain non chipped key, if he put the non chipped key in and the chipped key next to the key, the car would start I wonder if this could be a problem. If you have a car key that is chipped next to the bike key that is also chipped , it confused the computer. Some one should try a non chipped bike key in the ignition and place the chipped bike key against non chipped key to see if the bike would start)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntnj View Post
    Some one should try a non chipped bike key in the ignition and place the chipped bike key against non chipped key to see if the bike would start)
    I did! It does!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntnj View Post
    I did notice if i have my Garmin on the cradle I get that problem. I just make sure there is nothing near the key when i start the bike.( my son had a Honda car with a broken chipped key and a plain non chipped key, if he put the non chipped key in and the chipped key next to the key, the car would start I wonder if this could be a problem. If you have a car key that is chipped next to the bike key that is also chipped , it confused the computer. Some one should try a non chipped bike key in the ignition and place the chipped bike key against non chipped key to see if the bike would start)
    From other posts on this DESS topic .... the range ie. distance of the chip and transponder (?) is very, very short. So having a near-by chipped key ( Spyder or other Car key etc. ) is not going to effect either..... After I parked my Spyder ( in garage ) I used to take out the Key and place it on the lip of the instrument cluster, this would allow for a complete Re-Boot ..... In the beginning of Spyders folks believed ( to re-boot ) you had to take key 20-30 ft. away and wait 10 minutes .... that thought was de-bunked decades ago. .... Mike

Spyder Garage

When I get the key screen all I did was pull the key out and put it back in. That seems to work.
    This is what I know about access - I don't mean to be a know it all but here is my thinking about this:

I do security card access for a living. (16 YEARS) I do know on some sites that if you have the card in your wallet and you have credit cards with the chips in there with them, you will get a bad read on the card reader not turning green to allow access. The chip in the key is like a chip in credit cards that emits a mild radio frequency when presented to the reader (YOUR BIKE) if there is a frequency that is close or more powerful than the key (GPS, another chipped key, phone, Bluetooth, a car fob, or a watch connected to Bluetooth) you may get a bad read.

IdahoMTspyder proved the frequency theory by starting a bike with a blank key. If you were to put the key and a let's say a Honda fob next to the non-chipped, key you should see the key is bad on the screen.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Deleted