Spyder Garage

Default Is the ST2 Flashing Brake Light System Plug'n'play on 2020+ RT?

Has anyone installed the ST2 engine/brake Flashing Brake Light System on a 2020 or newer Spyder RT Limited or S2S? Was it a plug-in affair or did you have to splice wires etc. Do you like the system?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-21-2023 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

ST2 Brake module install.

Not exactly. You need to find and tap three wires to install it. I bought the module but have not installed it yet on my 2022 Spyder RTL. I plan to, tho. I think it's an awesome idea. I also bought the turn signal canceller but the built in one works well enough I doubt I'll install it.

ST2 Brake Module.pdf
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

The TRICLED version of the brake light flashing system works well and is a simple plug and play. Time consuming to removes the Tupperware for the first time, but relatively easy. Works with three flashes then solid light.

Spyder Garage

The only thing that I would suggest is to run a dedicated ground wire to the modulator.

I pulled one from the fuel tank ground wire under the passenger seat.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Buy this one. no cutting/splicing/ no BS
    https://www.slingmods.com/canam-spyd...ator?vehicle=1

Spyder Garage

NOT the same thing.

The TricLED/Slingmods brake "modulator" is not the same thing AT ALL. Yes, it's easier to install. But it doesn't do anything I need. The ST2 "smart brake module" actually activates the brake lights when you DECELERATE, it does NOT need you to press the brake pedal to activate the brake lights. This is the entire point of the module -- to provide a visual indication to those behind you that you are slowing down, even without pressing your brake pedal.

There may be some utility in flashing or "modulating" the brake light when you press the brake pedal, but I just don't see it. I'm far more worried about someone plowing into the back of my Spyder because I'm using engine braking and the drivers behind don't know it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Thank you for all the input. ST2 got back to me and confirmed it will operate all three brake lights, left, right & trunk. Also, the decelerator mechanism sensitivity can be adjusted simply by adjusting its tilt. ST2 also assured me they would be glad to walk me through the "how to wire" correctly procedures. Thus I ordered a unit.

Spyder Garage

I installed mine on my '18 RTL last August and love it, except for it cancelling my cruise control too sensitively, they're sending me a diagram of how to add a diode inline to prevent this.

ST2 and stealth PB.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-14-2023 at 02:58 AM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Davgill2002 View Post
    Thank you for all the input. ST2 got back to me and confirmed it will operate all three brake lights, left, right & trunk. Also, the decelerator mechanism sensitivity can be adjusted simply by adjusting its tilt. ST2 also assured me they would be glad to walk me through the "how to wire" correctly procedures. Thus I ordered a unit.
    St2

I received a refund from ST2 only by having Discover cancel the charge. ST2 would not provide me with a RMA form thus I was required to pay return shipping on a defective product. Turns out the cheapest shipping available ran $115! I did not ship and instead had Discover intervene. Got my credit and 6 weeks later ST2 has not provided me a RMA to return their product.
    The ST2 does not work on Spyder RTs, period! Contrary to claims, their sensitivity is not adjustable. Almost any bump in the road will cancel your cruise control no matter whether you tilt the unit all the way one way or the other. The diode fix simple remedies the cruise control issue, it still allows frequent false brake light flashing though your not decelerating at all! Lastly, the unit is mechanical not electronic or digital, thus prone to moisture etc.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Default St2

St2

I received a refund from ST2 only by having Discover cancel the charge. ST2 would not provide me with a RMA form thus I was required to pay return shipping on a defective product. Turns out the cheapest shipping available ran $115! I did not ship and instead had Discover intervene. Got my credit and 6 weeks later ST2 has not provided me a RMA to return their product.
    The ST2 does not work on Spyder RTs, period! Contrary to claims, their sensitivity is not adjustable. Almost any bump in the road will cancel your cruise control no matter whether you tilt the unit all the way one way or the other. The diode fix simple remedies the cruise control issue, it still allows frequent false brake light flashing though your not decelerating at all! Lastly, the unit is mechanical not electronic or digital, thus prone to moisture etc.
    I am sorry you had issues. I installed the unit on my 2016 about 4 years ago. I had one of the very first units. I am the one who came up with the diode to prevent false triggers. It does require a procedure to start it but once I figured that out it worked great. May I suggest you did not have something correct? No disrespect intended. I spent many nights testing my unit until I got the position just right. Like I said I am sorry you had trouble but they do work and they work well.
    Last edited by Tiny2; 11-13-2023 at 09:39 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some diodes are "leakier" than others and some cruise controls are more sensitive than others. A 3K resistor to ground on the CC side of the diode should help. Mounting the sensor in the middle of the Spyder will reduce road surface sensitivity. Wrapping it in some packing foam also helps. And Tiny2 pointed out the critical tuning effort to obtain desired performance.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I received my ST2 brake light module late last week and intend to install sometime soon, although we won't necessarily be riding for a while. Would either of you gents be willing to share where you chose to connect your wiring and module location placement and procedures? You can PM if you prefer.

Thanks in advance!
    2023 S2S
    Shoei RF-1400 Helmets
    Cardo Freedom 4x comms

Both riders USMC vets

2023 Sea to Sky , Green Shadow

Spyder Garage

It was a <1 hour install. on my 21 RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

rv6a -- this is excellent news. Do you have any photos to share? Where did you mount the module? Did you use the taillight circuit to power the module? What is the location of the brake wire you cut to install the module and diode (eg, before or after the Deutsch connector)? What diode did you use? Did you have any problem with leakage current triggering the cruise control disable? How did you adjust the brake light trigger to match your riding style (for my motorcycle I used a repeater LED near the steering stem because I couldn't see the brake light)? Inquiring minds need to know...
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

If I understand how the ST2 works I might suggest buying a Brake Free light that attaches to the back of your helmet. I have one and love it. It will brighten or flash as you decelerate.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rv6a View Post
    It was a <1 hour install. on my 21 RTL
    Hey there, have you had a chance to take a test ride to see how the ST2 is working?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-29-2023 at 08:06 PM.
    2023 S2S
    Shoei RF-1400 Helmets
    Cardo Freedom 4x comms

Both riders USMC vets

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny2 View Post
    I am sorry you had issues. I installed the unit on my 2016 about 4 years ago. I had one of the very first units. I am the one who came up with the diode to prevent false triggers. It does require a procedure to start it but once I figured that out it worked great. May I suggest you did not have something correct? No disrespect intended. I spent many nights testing my unit until I got the position just right. Like I said I am sorry you had trouble but they do work and they work well.
    Hey Tiny, any chance that you have a diagram of how you wired in your ST2 w/diode? I'm going to take BertReminton's advise and add a 3K resistor as well but would like to know where you chose for your final mounting location that worked for you, if you don't mind sharing.

Editing this post to share the diagram that was sent to me from ST2.

ST2 wiring-2024-01-01 225113.jpg
    Last edited by Poppie65; 01-01-2024 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Added wiring schematic
    2023 S2S
    Shoei RF-1400 Helmets
    Cardo Freedom 4x comms

Both riders USMC vets

Spyder Garage

Has anyone installed the ST2 engine/brake Flashing Brake Light System on a 2020 or newer Spyder RT Limited or S2S? Was it a plug-in affair or did you have to splice wires etc. Do you like the system?
    You have the large plug under the rear seat on the left side.

Orange is power.
    Black is ground.
    White is signal to brake lights.

Sebastian Fortune did a video on YouTube -

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IPyuYvkT...4jr50PwSDS13pN

You will need to add a diode into the white wire before your splice, so that the flashing doesn't back feed to the cruise control and disengage it...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-29-2024 at 09:24 PM.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon Black