Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Yes, it is 8+ years that this defect has been present in Spyders. Yes, I would think from a manufacturing point of view regarding this defect (I also work at a manufacturing plant) that BRP would/could have come up with some solution to fix the problem. We (Spyder owners) are at the mercy of BRP. I would think that BRP would do something about it because of all the cases that have been opened up about the D.E.S.S. Issues!

I wonder if any other 2018 Spyder models that have had the D.E.S.S. error/or have been stranded?

Deanna
    Yes, you would think that BRP would have this fixed by now. I had the DESS module replaced last summer after it showed up the second time. Bike was in the shop for over three weeks. Then a week later the instrument cluster crapped out and needed replacing. On the 26th of July I am taking a trip with my son to Colorado for three weeks, can’t say I’m not a little worried about this leaving me stranded in Western Kansas or Colorado where the dealers are a long way apart. I’d just like to have the DESS turned off if I could and have done with it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 07:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

Removing the DESS module will result in a fault and no start condition.

BRP is not replacing these if they fail outside of warranty. Its much cheaper to turn DESS off than to replace all the components on your dime.....Even if you have to buy a one month BUDS licence and connection module.

Or ride down and see me and I'll fix you up.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jheck View Post
    Yes, you would think that BRP would have this fixed by now. I had the DESS module replaced last summer after it showed up the second time. Bike was in the shop for over three weeks. Then a week later the instrument cluster crapped out and needed replacing. On the 26th of July I am taking a trip with my son to Colorado for three weeks, can’t say I’m not a little worried about this leaving me stranded in Western Kansas or Colorado where the dealers are a long way apart. I’d just like to have the DESS turned off if I could and have done with it.
    I also wonder what BRP will do with the D.E.S.S. module/switch for the 2019 spyder models?

Good luck on your trip to Colorado with your son.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 07:48 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Getting my second one installed. Good customer service would be to disable it on customer request, but won't, probably more lucrative to sell parts. My spyder has spent more time in the shop in its first three years than my Goldwing did in the fifteen years I owned it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 07:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rustynail51 View Post
    Getting my second one installed. Good customer service would be to disable it on customer request, but won't, probably more lucrative to sell parts. My spyder has spent more time in the shop in its first three years than my Goldwing did in the fifteen years I owned it.
    What spyder model do you have?

What year is your spyder?

Did you have your can-am dealership open up a case with BRP?

If you have any warranty left on your Spyder, the D.E.S.S module is covered under the warranty.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 07:50 PM.

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

It's a 2015 RT- S purchased as a hold over in 2016.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 07:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Today, I was doing some errands, after I left the store went to start my spyder, I got the D.E.S.S KEY CODE "AGAIN" so I put a key into the ignition, got the above error, put the 2nd key into the ignition, got the same message, ( and a coarse I did not have my camera so no picture) the spyder did not start.

Put both keys in their holders ( plastic) and walked away about 50 to 60 feet, and waited for about 1/2 hour ( in my mine I was thinking of calling Roadside Assistance, if the spyder did not start the 2nd time, I did not have to call Roadside Assistance,) because it started. Then I went on my way.

Thank god!

So tomorrow I will call my dealer and tell them I got the D.E.S.S KEY CODE again. I had the D.E.S.S. Module replaced last month ( 7/17/15) and both keys reprogramed. I will post here when I can on what the dealer says. My spyder is a 2014RTS-SE6. I know this happens a lot.

I did start a " Thread last month on the above subject. I was wandering if anyone else has had this recurring problem?

Deanna
    Hi there,

We're sorry your having concerns with your Spyder!

Please definitely get in touch with your dealer. If you need to locate one near you, please do so in utilizing the following link by selecting your country and searching with your ZIP-Postal Code.

https://can-am.brp.com/content/canam...r-locator.html

Should you require further assistance from us, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at brp.care@brp.com (Please ensure to copy and paste this conversation in your email so we have the full history)

Best,

Karine-Brp-Care
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi there,

Please definitely get in touch with your dealer. If you need to locate one near you, please do so in utilizing the following link by selecting your country and searching with your ZIP-Postal Code.

Should you require further assistance from us, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at brp.care@brp.com (Please ensure to copy and paste this conversation in your email so we have the full history)

Best,

Karine-Brp-Care

The post was two years ago. I am sure Deanna's issue has been resolved for now Module and Ignition was replaced.

Spyder Garage

Hi there,

Best,

Karine-Brp-Care
    There was a time when the person managing the BRPCares profile actually offered timely and useful information from time to time and often stepped in to help directly via private message. Even helped me with a dire situation 2013 RT once.

This type of post offering no information and responding to a 2 year old long ago resolved post just for purposes of keeping your post count up for corporate management is disingenuous and shows the lack of any sort of care BRP shows its customers recently.

Consider actually offering help and being a part of the solution rather than adding to background noise. Or just close the account if you are not going to actually offer anything. This is not the first of this sort of useless cut and paste robo post from BRP.

ITS NOT HELPFUL.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi there, We're sorry your having concerns with your Spyder! Please definitely get in touch with your dealer. If you need to locate one near you, please do so in utilizing the following link by selecting your country and searching with your ZIP-Postal Code. https://can-am.brp.com/content/canam...r-locator.html
    Not helpful. In fact, counterproductive if the intention is to reassure us that BRP CARES!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hi there,

Best,

Karine-Brp-Care
    HI Karine-Brp- Care,

Thanks for your concerns, the issue has been fixed, I had this issue ( twice) in July 14,2015 & on Aug. 28th, 2015.

On July 14,2015 I had the D.E.S.S Module replaced, and on Aug. 28th, 2015 I had the D.E.S.S module & Switch replaced ( under warranty) This warranty service work was done @ Walt's Sales & Service in Derby, Vt. on the above dates.

If in the future If I have this issue again, I'll contact you directly @ brp.care.@brp.com.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Hi there,

Best,

Karine-Brp-Care
    Holy hand grenades.... I nearly spewed my afternoon Java out my nose I laughed so hard at BRP getting in touch about a MAJOR defect/design flaw two years after Deanna's failure and over 8 years into a continuing problem.... A word of advice BRP, you should have remained silent and contacted people via PM and let the membership here trickle out the info that you're offering "help"....
    “The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”― George Carlin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gmctech View Post
    Holy hand grenades.... I nearly spewed my afternoon Java out my nose I laughed so hard at BRP getting in touch about a MAJOR defect/design flaw two years after Deanna's failure and over 8 years into a continuing problem.... A word of advice BRP, you should have remained silent and contacted people via PM and let the membership here trickle out the info that you're offering "help"....
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Today, I was doing some errands, after I left the store went to start my spyder, I got the D.E.S.S KEY CODE "AGAIN" so I put a key into the ignition, got the above error, put the 2nd key into the ignition, got the same message, ( and a coarse I did not have my camera so no picture) the spyder did not start.

Put both keys in their holders ( plastic) and walked away about 50 to 60 feet, and waited for about 1/2 hour ( in my mine I was thinking of calling Roadside Assistance, if the spyder did not start the 2nd time, I did not have to call Roadside Assistance,) because it started. Then I went on my way.

Thank god!

So tomorrow I will call my dealer and tell them I got the D.E.S.S KEY CODE again. I had the D.E.S.S. Module replaced last month ( 7/17/15) and both keys reprogramed. I will post here when I can on what the dealer says. My spyder is a 2014RTS-SE6. I know this happens a lot.

I did start a " Thread last month on the above subject. I was wandering if anyone else has had this recurring problem?

Deanna
    Mine did the same thing. The dealer had to go to BRP and replace the whole key system. New keys and all. If you have a trailer like I did make sure they send you a new tumbler for the new keys for the trailer.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 07:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spider-rider View Post
    Mine did the same thing. The dealer had to go to BRP and replace the whole key system. New keys and all. If you have a trailer like I did make sure they send you a new tumbler for the new keys for the trailer.
    What year is your spyder?

Was the "Whole Key system replaced under warranty?

I don't have a trailer, but I did get a "new trailer tumbler.
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

We are seeing more and more 2014s that are now out of all warranty coverage and this issue coming up. Even some that got fixed a few years ago. Repair is over $1000 at the dealer. (new ignition, dess module, install labor, programming). We have simply turned off this defective system in BUDS saving our customers considerable funds and aggravation.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Bump

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Just had an issue similar to this on my 13 RSS with 7000 kms on it and purchased 3 years ago new in the crate....My battery would drain and when a new battery was installed, the key was turned on and it bypassed the screen indicating to press the mode button and needless to say wouldn't start. The dealer had it for a week and replaced the DESS module and the ignition switch and programmed new keys.I am worried whats gonna happen when the warranty is over in 2 months..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LisaJ View Post
    Just had an issue similar to this on my 13 RSS with 7000 kms on it and purchased 3 years ago new in the crate....My battery would drain and when a new battery was installed, the key was turned on and it bypassed the screen indicating to press the mode button and needless to say wouldn't start. The dealer had it for a week and replaced the DESS module and the ignition switch and programmed new keys.I am worried whats gonna happen when the warranty is over in 2 months..
    Hi LisaJ: Do you have the B.E.S.T warranty on your spyder?

If you do the B.E.S.T warranty will cover the D.E.S.S. module.

Some one else should chime in with the answer.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

I have now gotten the dreaded Bad Key error on my 2015 F3S. It is out of every warranty there is....No Warranty. For awhile, I was able to spray inside the ignition with some electrical spray and that kept me going for a couple of months but now....it won't work.
    The dealer, nearest me, has ordered a new ignition system. He's telling me that there is an "antenna" in the ignition that communicates with the chip in the key. Ok, I get that is probably simplifying things, but he also told me the Can Am will do nothing about this. My cost (guessing) will be around $700 when all is said and done. I know the part cost is $400+.
    If using BUDS on my Spyder will save the $$ as well as the aggravation of my Spyder being in the shop....I'm down for it. Where do I find someone that will do this for me?

2015 F3-S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I dont know if the DESS can be deactivated if it doesnt recognize the key at all.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

So is the Bad Key and the D.E.S.S. error two different things?

2015 F3-S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My guess is yes. If the screen says bad key, then disabling the DESS might not fix it. My screen said DESS error when it went bad. I could be wrong though.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Brp's system sounds like a sort of RFID system to me, a topic which I am quite familiar with. AFAIK, these keys have no batteries, and it's rare for a batteryless RFID chip to go bad. The dealer is on the right path, start with the antenna element and work your way back to the reader module.

Spyder Garage

Any golf you out there who have bought Rykers, have you had the dreaded D.E.S.S. error?

Just curious
    Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 07:55 PM.

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover