Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JonYiong View Post
    Hi, I have a 2013 STL. Lately I’m not able to start after pressing the mode button, and I need to wait for about 10secs before I'm then able to fire-up.

Now it doesn’t fire-up after waiting for about 10secs. I have to off/on the ignition then wait about 10secs to fire-up and sometimes have “BAD KEY” appear on screen.

Wonder will it work by changing the DESS antenna?
    Sounds like a bad battery.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:45 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check for loose hardware at the battery posts. Or could be a battery issue as suggested. Those are the simple items to check first.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Check for loose hardware at the battery posts. Or could be a battery issue as suggested. Those are the simple items to check first.
    Battery are change less then a year, all hardware connections are tight.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you get the battery tested to be sure? Maybe module acting up too?

Explain more on the mode button comment you posted??

Spyder Garage

In the beginning, before the Engineers could pinpoint the problem, both Module AND Ignition Switch were replaced to GUARANTEE a fix!
    MUCH later, AFTER updating to a new production Module, they found the most probable cause which was the antenna coiled around the ignition switch.

BRP may have been able to save themselves some money, had they actually LISTENED to the EXPERIENCES of the Riders. That being that the key was SATURATING the module and should check it's antenna. But the problem with troubleshooting is when you have TWO areas. In this case the Module on some and antennas on others OR both. It wasn't until after a new module came out and problems continued, that BRP realized, they also had two modify the antenna and that did not occur until 2016.

My Module and Ignition Switch were swapped out in the summer of 2015 and since that time has never experienced a failure, except for one time when I layed my smartphone right next to the ignition switch. I moved my phone to it's proper location and all cleared immediately.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I'm sure this has been mentioned - find someone local that has BUDS and can DISABLE that module. I can do it in 10 minutes. You also can then buy $2 keys that will work as spares to hide. I have BUDS 1 & 2 and can do any year now. Even if 1 in a 1,000 bikes have this happen, it's too much!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    I'm sure this has been mentioned - find someone local that has BUDS and can DISABLE that module. I can do it in 10 minutes. You also can then buy $2 keys that will work as spares to hide. I have BUDS 1 & 2 and can do any year now. Even if 1 in a 1,000 bikes have this happen, it's too much!
    ....mostly,.... however the person with the BUDS needs to have an ADVANCED program to do it ..... most dealers don't, and won't do it anyway for legal reasons ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    In the beginning, before the Engineers could pinpoint the problem, both Module AND Ignition Switch were replaced to GUARANTEE a fix!
    MUCH later, AFTER updating to a new production Module, they found the most probable cause which was the antenna coiled around the ignition switch.

BRP may have been able to save themselves some money, had they actually LISTENED to the EXPERIENCES of the Riders. That being that the key was SATURATING the module and should check it's antenna. But the problem with troubleshooting is when you have TWO areas. In this case the Module on some and antennas on others OR both. It wasn't until after a new module came out and problems continued, that BRP realized, they also had two modify the antenna and that did not occur until 2016.

My Module and Ignition Switch were swapped out in the summer of 2015 and since that time has never experienced a failure, except for one time when I layed my smartphone right next to the ignition switch. I moved my phone to it's proper location and all cleared immediately.

AJ
    I had the Module and Ignition Switch replaced in 2015( which was covered by Warranty). Since then I have not had the D.E.S.S failure. I carry my cell phone in the trunk.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Wife has a 2014 RTS that is showing DEES code, is there a way to get her running maybe a bypass method? She is stranded right now. Have heard this has been a problem with these. Can it be programed out of the system? Thanks so much for any and all help.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by totalcomfort View Post
    Wife has a 2014 RTS that is showing DEES code, is there a way to get her running maybe a bypass method? She is stranded right now. Have heard this has been a problem with these. Can it be programed out of the system? Thanks so much for any and all help.
    totalcomfort,

Suggestion/advise, Have your wife take the key with her, and wait about 20 minutes than try key again. The spyder should reset it's computer system. Also have your wife try turning the key 5 to 6 times on/off and DO NOT LET THE SYSTEM SHUT DOWN.

Question : Does your wife have the 2nd key with her?

Is there anyone near you that can disable the DESS for you?

Does the 2nd key give her the DESS code?

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Search for DESS and D.E.S.S.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:47 PM.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Look back thru this "D.E.S.S KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!" thread - I started posted this thread on 8/13/2015. This thread has a lot of excellent info.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:47 PM.

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The DESS can be turned off permanently by someone with the proper diagnostic hardware. Most dealers will not do it for you. If you get it running and get it home. Ask on here to find someone near you that can disable it. I can do it, but live in NY state. A bit too far away. I would not waste the time and money to have it repaired. Get it turned off and never worry about it again. Most people charge a very small fee or free to turn it off.
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 03-03-2022 at 08:15 PM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you have the stamina go back to Post #1 of this thread and read the whole thing, all 900+ posts! Probably every question you can conceivably come up with has been answered here somewhere.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    The DESS can be turned off permanently by someone with the proper diagnostic hardware. Most dealers will not do it for you. If you get it running and get it home. Ask on here to find someone near you that can disable it. I can do it, but live in NY state. A bit too far away. I would not waste the time and money to have it repaired. Get it turned off and never worry about it again. Most people charge a very small fee or free to turn it off.
    ... I was lucky enough to have Joel turn mine off and I am forever grateful .... however I dis-agree about Not getting it fixed ..... The part cost about $ 140.00 and once you get the frunk off ... it is a very simple ( plug & play ) fix, ... I still have old DESS module ( The new one that a BRP Tech installed ) ... if you are interested in fixing yours you can PM me and I'll walk you thru it ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... I was lucky enough to have Joel turn mine off and I am forever grateful .... however I dis-agree about Not getting it fixed ..... The part cost about $ 140.00 and once you get the frunk off ... it is a very simple ( plug & play ) fix, ... I still have old DESS module ( The new one that a BRP Tech installed ) ... if you are interested in fixing yours you can PM me and I'll walk you thru it ..... Mike
    I DIS-AGREE with this post...I had 3 DESS modules replaced and 1 complete ignition switch with antenna...AND still had DESS issues...Only after having a forum member turn it off did my issues disappear...

SO MY RECOMMENDATION IS; HAVE THE PIA TURNED OFF AND LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER...larryd

Spyder Garage

If you can't find anybody who can turn off the DESS for minimal$ or even free there is another choice as mentioned above. ( with a big benefit ) Monster EFI can flash the ECU for more horsepower, torque, and RPM ( at your discretion) for less than replacing the DESS unit.
    You'll be happy with the result.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Just bought a 2015 F3S. Haven’t got a chance to look it over really well. Only ridden it once. But we have read the “Spyder Do’s and Don’ts” thread from end to end several times!

My question now - any way to tell if previous owners have disabled the DESS system? Think I want it off ...

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I DIS-AGREE with this post...I had 3 DESS modules replaced and 1 complete ignition switch with antenna...AND still had DESS issues...Only after having a forum member turn it off did my issues disappear...

SO MY RECOMMENDATION IS; HAVE THE PIA TURNED OFF AND LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER...larryd
    Larry, I don't understand why you " Dis-agreed " with my post ???? .... My orig. DESS module failed and was then re-placed with a newer model .... it lasted 4 years and still works as far I know ....case closed - period .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BCNewell View Post
    Just bought a 2015 F3S. Haven’t got a chance to look it over really well. Only ridden it once. But we have read the “Spyder Do’s and Don’ts” thread from end to end several times!

My question now - any way to tell if previous owners have disabled the DESS system? Think I want it off ...
    I would not worry till you have a issue!! Just my thoughts!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Larry, I don't understand why you " Dis-agreed " with my post ???? .... My orig. DESS module failed and was then re-placed with a newer model .... it lasted 4 years and still works as far I know ....case closed - period .... Mike
    Case Reopened...There were some of us that a $140.00 module did NOT fix the DESS issues...In my case it was 3 times $140.00...Plus when the key and antenna was replaced and ALL the locks had to be rekeyed the was a significant amount of extra $$$$...And the bottom line was I still had intermitten DESS errors...BRP was telling my dealer it could be caused by another chipped key in my pocket or I'm parking to close to some type of RFI...

But this I do know for sure; When the forum member turned off my DESS the problem has NEVER reoccurred...larryd

Spyder Garage

Case Reopened...There were some of us that a $140.00 module did NOT fix the DESS issues...In my case it was 3 times $140.00...Plus when the key and antenna was replaced and ALL the locks had to be rekeyed the was a significant amount of extra $$$$...And the bottom line was I still had intermitten DESS errors...BRP was telling my dealer it could be caused by another chipped key in my pocket or I'm parking to close to some type of RFI...

But this I do know for sure; When the forum member turned off my DESS the problem has NEVER reoccurred...larryd
    I agree turning the DESS off is IDEAL ..... however finding someone who will or can do it is not IDEAL.... And I'm sorry you had sooooo many Modules that failed ..... I'm thinking your Dealer may be the real problem .... I've been here since 2011 and have heard waaaaaaaay to many stories about Horrible dealers and how they have ripped off other Spyder owners. Remember " checking the valves on the V-twin engine ". Just syin ..... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree turning the DESS off is IDEAL ..... however finding someone who will or can do it is not IDEAL.... And I'm sorry you had sooooo many Modules that failed ..... I'm thinking your Dealer may be the real problem .... I've been here since 2011 and have heard waaaaaaaay to many stories about Horrible dealers and how they have ripped off other Spyder owners. Remember " checking the valves on the V-twin engine ". Just syin ..... good luck .... Mike
    I have a GREAT dealer...Everyone of the repairs were BRP approved...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BCNewell View Post

I'll let the people who have had the DESS systems disabled chime in on that question.

I have not had my DESS system disabled. I will not do that.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

larryd,

When I had my first and 2nd DESS error/code failures,and the the DESS/antenna replaced ( under warranty) I was not near any RFI sources. The first one (DESS) error/code issue i was in a parking lot( which I posted in Post # 1 on this thread), the 2nd DESS error/code issue the spyder was on my front lawn.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover