Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMOP this DESS is just another THORN in BRP's side...Just ANOTHER MAJOR DETERRENT, DISCOURAGING any prudential buyers doing their home work before purchasing their flawed and defective products...What BRP should be doing is finding a permanent fix and offering a free lifetime warranty on this flawed and engineered in problem, OR offering ALL owners the option to turn the DESS off...larryd

PS The module is NOT ALWAYS the permanent fix...I HAD 3 modules replaced and the problem still persisted UNTILL I HAD THE DESS TURNED OFF...They tried to blame everything under the sun that I was doing that caused the problem; LIKE, carrying other coded keys in my pocket, parking under certain hi voltage wires, parking too close to other sources EMI fields...

IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A LIST OF EVERYONE AND EVERYPLACE THAT CAN TURN IS 5 YEAR PIA OFF...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just disabled the DESS for a 2014 Spyder that had the latest module installed. It appears the issue is not fixed. The rider said they had their module replaced and checked the part number and it was the latest part number. Their DESS almost stranded them several times while on a trip. If you have a 2014-2015 spyder, get that thing disabled!
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

I just had my DESS module replaced last week with the latest and greatest 5th iteration of it.
    Replaced under BEST extended warranty, no deductible.
    But, I'd love to have the system bypassed. What I'm reading so far is a trip to either Texas, New York or Alabama to "git 'er dun" ---- too bad, as my plans take me elsewhere

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HAs anyone replaced the DESS antenna after replacing the newest module?

This would be after another DESS warning would display on the dash.

The Bulletin suggests to replace the antenna if you still get the DESS warning after the DESS module has been replaced already.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    IMOP this DESS is just another THORN in BRP's side...Just ANOTHER MAJOR DETERRENT, DISCOURAGING any prudential buyers doing their home work before purchasing their flawed and defective products...What BRP should be doing is finding a permanent fix and offering a free lifetime warranty on this flawed and engineered in problem, OR offering ALL owners the option to turn the DESS off.
    What complicates the issue for finding the cause are the thousands of 2014 RTs like mine that have never had a DESS problem coupled with the fact that there seems to be no consistency in what causes the problem. External influences can cause a DESS failure. I made mine give an error by having both keys at the ignition when I turned it on.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    What complicates the issue for finding the cause are the thousands of 2014 RTs like mine that have never had a DESS problem coupled with the fact that there seems to be no consistency in what causes the problem. External influences can cause a DESS failure. I made mine give an error by having both keys at the ignition when I turned it on.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post

The Bulletin suggests to replace the antenna if you still get the DESS warning after the DESS module has been replaced already.
    Deanna777 had to do it after Her first repair didn't work ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Deanna777 had to do it after Her first repair didn't work ….. Mike
    So it sounds like its still working. That was the information I was looking for.

Now changing out the antenna is going to be a PIA. Since I have the TRIAXIS bars on there now. Thought I could feed all that thru the small opening at the key switch. But now that I think about it I still maybe able to do this without taking off the whole dam fairing.

DESS.pdf

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    I just had my DESS module replaced last week with the latest and greatest 5th iteration of it.
    Replaced under BEST extended warranty, no deductible.
    But, I'd love to have the system bypassed. What I'm reading so far is a trip to either Texas, New York or Alabama to "git 'er dun" ---- too bad, as my plans take me elsewhere
    Would you happen to know the part number of the new module?
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

So it sounds like its still working. That was the information I was looking for.

Now changing out the antenna is going to be a PIA. Since I have the TRIAXIS bars on there now. Thought I could feed all that thru the small opening at the key switch. But now that I think about it I still maybe able to do this without taking off the whole dam fairing.

DESS.pdf
    I'm pretty sure I have read everything posted about DESS …. I don't think BRP has this issue figured out …. from what others have posted it appears that the antennae effects about 10% of the failures 90% are the MODULE ( only ) …..good luck …. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    Would you happen to know the part number of the new module?

Read post #758 and click on the DESS PDF
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:02 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure I have read everything posted about DESS …. I don't think BRP has this issue figured out …. from what others have posted it appears that the antennae effects about 10% of the failures 90% are the MODULE ( only ) …..good luck …. Mike
    On post #758 click on the (DESS PDF) it explains why this is happening.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

On post #758 click on the (DESS PDF ) it explains why this is happening.
    Read it - and IF this is really the answer …… then WHY are they still failing after one does the Antennae FIX - ?????? ……….. Mike ………… and I'll repeat something I've said dozens of times …. Prior to 2014 there was almost no DESS failures ….. then they decided to fix a NOT BROKEN PROBLEM …… and we know how that went !!!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:03 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Read it - and IF this is really the answer …… then WHY are they still failing after one does the Antennae FIX - ?????? ……….. Mike ………… and I'll repeat something I've said dozens of times …. Prior to 2014 there was almost no DESS failures ….. then they decided to fix a NOT BROKEN PROBLEM …… and we know how that went !!!!
    I have read it and all I am been reading on all the posts is the Module been replaced. Some have done module and ignition. Does that include the antenna.

So we are discussing the most recent Spyder correct? The ones with the DESS issue.

Now All I was asking/saying is if anyone has the new antenna installed have you had the DESS screen yet?

I really see no posts on the antenna being replaced.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have read it and all I am been reading on all the posts is the Module been replaced. Some have done module and ignition. Does that include the antenna.

So we are discussing the most recent Spyder correct? The ones with the DESS issue.

Now All I was asking/saying is if anyone has the new antenna installed have you had the DESS screen yet?

...I'm not positive but I believe the Ignition switch contains the Antennae and the Antennae is not sold or installed separately …. sort of what BRP was doing with the Windshield ARM until recently ……. " recent Spyder " ???? ….. the DESS issue really began with the 2014 models and has continued with all the subsequent years ….. Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:04 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...I'm not positive but I believe the Ignition switch contains the Antennae and the Antennae is not sold or installed separately …. sort of what BRP was doing with the Windshield ARM until recently ……. " recent Spyder " ???? ….. the DESS issue really began with the 2014 models and has continued with all the subsequent years ….. Mike
    Yes and NO

Looks like the ignition does include the antenna. And the antenna can be replaced separately per the DESS bulletin posted on #758.

2014 years on up correct. Not sure why you brought up prior MY's??

Now I am wondering IF the antenna part number have changed since 2014 more than one time
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:06 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2014 models years on up correct. Not sure why you brought up prior MY's??
    Up through 2013 DESS problems were unknown. The system was different but still used chipped keys.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RT Limited with about 8800 miles. I had this problem a couple days ago. DESS ERROR with picture of a key.
    Go To You Tube and search for Spyder Bad Key Fixed. I tried this with the tin foil and it works. I did not take the ignition apart assembly apart..just wrapped a small amount of tin foil around the trim ring where key goes in and it started. Did it several times. If you watch the video on you tube it makes sense Now today it starts as normal with no tin foil
    Hope this helps

Spyder Garage

HI, I had the DESS antenna replaced when I had my first DESS module replaced, back in 2015. Also, I posted it when had the antenna replaced.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

DESS.pdf
    Yes, I have not had the DESS error since I have had the DESS module replaced ( 5 years ago).
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

I have read it and all I am been reading on al the posts is the Module been replaced. Some have done module and ignition. Does that include the antenna.

When I had the DESS Module and Antenna replaced on the 2nd time, i have not had the DESS error. Also, My spyder has 15,000 miles + ( total of 25,890miles) since I have had the DESS module/ antenna replaced.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTN View Post
    I have a 2014 RT Limited with about 8800 miles. I had this problem a couple days ago. DESS ERROR with picture of a key.
    Go To You Tube and search for Spyder Bad Key Fixed. I tried this with the tin foil and it works. I did not take the ignition apart assembly apart..just wrapped a small amount of tin foil around the trim ring where key goes in and it started. Did it several times. If you watch the video on you tube it makes sense Now today it starts as normal with no tin foil
    Hope this helps
    As was mentioned in the other thread where you posted this, it's a temporary fix and may get you home when in a pickle.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Here is a thread about the D.E.S.S problems.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Bump

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Question 1: Where is the DESS physically located on a Spyder F3? Spent way too much time reading through this thread and didn't that anywhere?
    Question 2: Looks like Lamonster Garage at 500 miles is the closest to Indianapolis who can disable the DESS. Anyone else closer?
    Question 3: Once it does the complete failure thing - can you trailer the bike to someone to disable it - or do you need to get a good key read first to disable it?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 08:10 PM.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black