Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Considering 2023 or 2024 RT Sea-to-Sky - some questions to help me decide/commit??

I'm not new to motorcycling but new to the Spyder. Couple of years ago I was serious about getting one and took the mandatory trike endorsement training and ready to go. However, conditions changed, and I ended up deferring. I think I'm ready now. I'm set on an RT and most likely the fully loaded Sea-to-Sky, based on my riding (enough long-distance riding to aim for comfort).

First question: I see dealers in the area (Seattle, WA area) have 2 to 3k off MSRP. Plus a 2% 3 year financing option on 2023 models. Are these ads reliable, or are they bait-and-switch? I understand why they want to unload 2023 models. I see significant savings in buying a 2023 (compared to 2024), plus a good interest rate.

Second question: I understand the big change in 2024 model is Apple CarPlay. I have that in my car and it's a definite plus. However, I am willing to get a 2023 without it if I can reliably use an iPhone GPS app and audio/BT. My research in 2021 flagged the BRP app as a red flag, but reading around now it appears it's gotten good enough to be useful for navigation and audio. Is that a fair assessment? I know it can't beat CarPlay integration but I'm trying to assess if a few thousands dollar in savings can justify the tradeoff.

Also, assuming I can stuff the iPhone and plug into a cable in the glove compartment, Would I be able to see the Nav app on screen or do I have to mount the iPhone if I need to see the screen?

Third question: From 2021 research, the following issues were on the radar - I'll look around, but I'd appreciate it if someone has answers:

1. Overall build quality;
    2. Mirrors;
    3. Belt tensioner (should be built in);
    4. Are the transmission issues fixed?

Final question: Any recommendations (good or bad) for dealers in the Seattle area? I'm Ok with buying from couple hundred miles away, but I'd prefer local because you need them for service. The dealer reputation is for service as much as for original purchase.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-10-2024 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IMHO get a nice used 14 thru 17 RT, with less than 50,000 mi. ( not hard to find ) .. I got a 14 RT - BASIC model and never felt I missed out on anything ..... good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

First Question - we bought a new '22 S2S in July 23. We got the year end low intrest rate as advertized by Can Am and the dealer.

Second Question - we don't use the BRP app mainly because we use a Garmin Zumo XT and we don't feel the BRP offers any additional features that we need.

Third Question
    1 Build Quality - good
    2 mirrors - no issue, stable good clear view
    3 belt tensioner - built in on my 2022
    4 Transmission issues - what issues? Ours runs like a champ.

If you purchase your bike from a remote dealer ask if they have a loaner bike program. Ours did.
    Do not leave the dealers lot without the dealer showing you how to display the error codes.

Our issues
    1. air ride suspension error, system was calibrated for a single light weight rider at the dealer. We ride 2 up almost exclusively, combined weight of 360 lbs. Got fixed in 1 trip.
    2. brake error, need to perform BRP service bulletin 6 to fix. Got fixed in one visit.
    3. VSS error, various sensors for the vehicle stability system (VSS) were not calibrated correctly. Took 2 visits to fix.

Good luck with your purchase.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-10-2024 at 07:43 AM.
    Lee B
    2022 Can Am RT Limited
    2021 Honda NC750X DCT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lee0123 View Post
    First Question - we bought a new '22 S2S in July 23. We got the year end low intrest rate as advertized by Can Am and the dealer.

Second Question - we don't use the BRP app mainly because we use a Garmin Zumo XT and we don't feel the BRP offers any additional features that we need.

Third Question
    1 Build Quality - good
    2 mirrors - no issue, stable good clear view
    3 belt tensioner - built in on my 2022
    4 Transmission issues - what issues? Ours runs like a champ.

If you purchase your bike from a remote dealer ask if they have a loaner bike program. Ours did.
    Do not leave the dealers lot without the dealer showing you how to display the error codes.

Our issues
    1. air ride suspension error, system was calibrated for a single light weight rider at the dealer. We ride 2 up almost exclusively, combined weight of 360 lbs. Got fixed in 1 trip.
    2. brake error, need to perform BRP service bulletin 6 to fix. Got fixed in one visit.
    3. VSS error, various sensors for the vehicle stability system (VSS) were not calibrated correctly. Took 2 visits to fix.

Good luck with your purchase.
    The air ride settings can be calibrated in BUDS ? Hmmm... Good to know.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 RTL. I was told that they started the belt tensioner in 2021, but I don't have it. I believe it started in 2022. As for build quality, it is ok, but not as good as the 2014-19 year models, and definitely not as good as the F3L model. The issues that I have seen and had would be with the saddle bag handles and the vibration in the left mirror. They also seem to use cheaper parts for some simple things such as bolts that will rust if exposed to too much moisture. This didn't happen on the earlier models. Overall, it is still a nice bike and worth it. As for dealerships, most make their money on service. Iam on my 6th spyder and have never bought locally. But my local dealership has been great when it comes to service. I talked to them about that on my first purchase in 2014. I made it clear that I do not work on my bikes, and would be a fateful customer as long as they were straight with me, and it has worked out. As for waiting on a 2024 vs 2023, I would go with the one with the best deal. Good luck shopping.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

We bought our 2023 RT S2S in Aug 2023. No issues whatsoever with it.
    We did travel to BaJaRons place to have their Ultimate sway bar installed and also a set of handle bars that were more comfortable for my wife to ride with as she has short arms. We ONLY ride single as we have a 2019 RT Limited as well. IMHO the S2S rides more comfortably.
    We also use Google maps on our Samsung S21 phones plugged in into the little dash pocket USB port and a holder for them. Alternatively we hook up our Shoei Neo II helmets with our Sena 50S headsets but only to our phones keeping the communication to that only. Works very nicely. YMMV
    Last edited by WRCLVR; 01-12-2024 at 07:41 AM. Reason: corrected typo
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

I got my 2023 Sea to Sky in June to replace my RTL that I lost in an accident in April. I chose the Sea to Sky over the RTL because the comfort seat is much more comfortable. The 23 S2S is green and a new 24 S2S will be white. I have not had any problems with mine and have enjoyed the ride where at one point on my RTL, I was trying to make my seat more comfortable to ride.

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for your quick, informative responses. I initially thought there were several differences such as heated seats between the RT Limited and the RT sea-to-sky. On closer look, looks like the differences are: 1) aesthetic styling, 2) more comfortable seats, and 3) Adjustable side wind deflectors - lower & upper

I can appreciate comfortable seats, but not clear about the adjustable side wind deflectors. Are they very useful? I saw a yt video on how they can be quickly adjusted to deflect wind, so I suppose it helps keep air focused or away from the legs as appropriate.

Please correct me if I missed any other difference between the RT Limited and the sea-to-sky.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Everyone likes "comfortable seats" .... I bought 3 different Spyders, I liked all three OEM seats .... Comfortable is in the eye/butt of the beholder.... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-10-2024 at 04:08 PM.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rational View Post
    I'm not new to motorcycling but new to the Spyder. Couple of years ago I was serious about getting one and took the mandatory trike endorsement training and ready to go. However, conditions changed, and I ended up deferring. I think I'm ready now. I'm set on an RT and most likely the fully loaded Sea-to-Sky, based on my riding (enough long-distance riding to aim for comfort).

First question: I see dealers in the area (Seattle, WA area) have 2 to 3k off MSRP. Plus a 2% 3 year financing option on 2023 models. Are these ads reliable, or are they bait-and-switch? I understand why they want to unload 2023 models. I see significant savings in buying a 2023 (compared to 2024), plus a good interest rate.

Second question: I understand the big change in 2024 model is Apple CarPlay. I have that in my car and it's a definite plus. However, I am willing to get a 2023 without it if I can reliably use an iPhone GPS app and audio/BT. My research in 2021 flagged the BRP app as a red flag, but reading around now it appears it's gotten good enough to be useful for navigation and audio. Is that a fair assessment? I know it can't beat CarPlay integration but I'm trying to assess if a few thousands dollar in savings can justify the tradeoff.

Also, assuming I can stuff the iPhone and plug into a cable in the glove compartment, Would I be able to see the Nav app on screen or do I have to mount the iPhone if I need to see the screen?

Third question: From 2021 research, the following issues were on the radar - I'll look around, but I'd appreciate it if someone has answers:

2. Mirrors;

Final question: Any recommendations (good or bad) for dealers in the Seattle area? I'm Ok with buying from couple hundred miles away, but I'd prefer local because you need them for service. The dealer reputation is for service as much as for original purchase.

Thank you in advance.
    1.) The deals are real.
    2.) Yes apple car play will be on the 2024 model RTL & S2S and there are lots of other changes on the 2024 model also.
    3.) Build quality is very good 2021 saw some supply issues and sometime a dealership may miss something when putting the bike together i.e. (the control arm for the air bag to the rear suspension.). Mirrors have been good on the RT; BT has been included most years, Transmissions are good the only problem big was front pully recall that was done a year or two ago.
    4.) I'm not from that area so I'll let the members from there speak to that.
    Lastly if you use apple car play and like using that app, I would tell you to get a 2024 model RTL or S2S. I got a chance to look at them and they are really nice and with all the upgrades well worth the extra cost if you can afford it. Good luck shopping
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the detailed response. I think I have enough to work with to make a decision.

Spyder Garage

A couple more nuggets for ya...

We bought our '23 S2S in Oct '23 because of the rebate & interest rate on the '23 combined with the increased price for the '24.
    And as mentioned earlier, the deals ARE legit. However, our dealer was telling us the that the rebate and interest rate "sale" was an either/or deal.
    We were armed with a copy of the Can Am Advertisement that clearly stated that it was BOTH, and they honored it.

I've added the Can Am drivers back rest and passenger arm rests recently. However, the '24 comes with the drivers back rest included.
    The S2S comes with the belt tensioner installed as well.

The ride is really nice, but since we intend to do a lot of 2UP, I'll be upgrading the sway bar before our riding season starts.

Good luck with your shopping!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-10-2024 at 11:50 PM. Reason: STS; allot .... ;-)
    2023 S2S
    Shoei RF-1400 Helmets
    Cardo Freedom 4x comms

Both riders USMC vets
    2023 Sea to Sky , Green Shadow

Spyder Garage

This is the right time to buy! Lots of '22 & '23 RT Ltd models available with discounts - keep pushing dealer with comp prices on Cycle Trader (even if other bikes are not close to you). I took delivery of '23 RTL last month and saved $$. After lots of research, it looks like the Sea To Sky only adds aesthetics and a different seat. My seat is very comfortable, and you can always add a custom seat in the future if needed. Good hunting.
    2024 RT LTD , SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3WINGS View Post
    This is the right time to buy! Lots of '22 & '23 RT Ltd models available with discounts - keep pushing dealer with comp prices on Cycle Trader (even if other bikes are not close to you). I took delivery of '23 RTL last month and saved $$. After lots of research, it looks like the Sea To Sky only adds aesthetics and a different seat. My seat is very comfortable, and you can always add a custom seat in the future if needed. Good hunting.
    Thanks @3WINGS. I stopped by nearest dealer today and they are indeed eager to make deals. My ideal color choice is Red, so all things considered, I am leaning towards a 2023 RTL Marsala Red/Platinum. The price difference between that and the 2024 sea-to-sky at the other extreme is quite significant. I can easily pay for any aftermarket comfort upgrades later, after getting a few weeks of riding under the belt. The 2% 36-month loan term is a definite plus as it makes the total price even more affordable.

Spyder Garage

Their may also be some brand new 2022 models out there. I bought my brand new 2022 Sea To Sky at the end of last August. With rebates/dealer discounts, I got over $6K knocked off. Take your time and look around. Many dealers will ship.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I love technology and I am a sucker for things that beep and light up. That being said, I think the Carplay on the 24 is cool, but not really worth the extra money. You can do any of it with a handle bar mount for your phone or a nice Garmin. Also, when you start moving, the touchscreen turns off and you have to use a joy stick For some reason, that bothers me and takes away from the ease of use. Others may differ from me, just my take. So personally, I would save the cash on the 2023 and FARKLE it up with the savings.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO get a nice used 14 thru 17 RT, with less than 50,000 mi. ( not hard to find ) .. I got a 14 RT - BASIC model and never felt I missed out on anything ..... good luck ....Mike
    I had a 2014, and loved my upgrade to a 2020 - essentially identical to the 2023. It's a similar but better ride, and it looks a lot better as an added bonus.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    I love technology and I am a sucker for things that beep and light up. That being said, I think the Carplay on the 24 is cool, but not really worth the extra money. You can do any of it with a handle bar mount for your phone or a nice Garmin. Also, when you start moving, the touchscreen turns off and you have to use a joy stick For some reason, that bothers me and takes away from the ease of use. Others may differ from me, just my take. So personally, I would save the cash on the 2023 and FARKLE it up with the savings.
    Interesting note on screen turning off when you start moving. No one mentioned that before. Then how does one get the benefit of using Apple or Google maps for navigation? You will only be limited to audio, which you get with a 2023 model too. Did I misunderstand what you wrote about the screen turning off?

Spyder Garage

He meant the touch action of the screen shuts off over 10mph. The actual screen does not shut off but you have to use buttons on the left handle bar to navigate the screen. Hope this helps.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Made up my mind and wrapped up the purchase this afternoon. I really wanted the Red (marsala/platinum), so got the 2023 RTL. The great discounts and the 2% on 36 months financing were also irresistible. Bought a couple of accessories that I wanted in the sea-to-sky but not available in the RTL, paying about 500 bucks for those. Would have gone with the 2023 sea-to-sky if it was available in red or blue or white.

Now I wait a few more days to take delivery. The wait isn't too bad considering the snow in the forecast over the next few days in the area. The one time I had to ride through a surprise snowstorm in June on a mountain pass on my R12RT left a rather bad taste in my mouth.

Thanks everyone for your advice and help.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-11-2024 at 10:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Partzman23 View Post
    He meant the touch action of the screen shuts off over 10mph. The actual screen does not shut off but you have to use buttons on the left handle bar to navigate the screen. Hope this helps.
    Ah that makes sense.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rational View Post

2. Mirrors;

Thank you in advance.

First Question; I am not sure.

Second Question; Yes, the 2024 model does have CarPlay. Yes, it is.

Third Question:

1. Overall Build quality is Good;
    2. Mirrors are good;
    3. ???;
    4. NO.

Final Question; I cannot help you with that because I am in the Northeast.

Also, take a look at vtrider's Thread "My New Spyder - Sea to Sky", which he posted on 4/16/2023. He has pictures of his new 2024 RT "Sea to Sky" in there.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-11-2024 at 10:27 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Everyone likes "comfortable seats" .... I bought 3 different Spyders, I liked all three OEM seats .... Comfortable is in the eye/butt of the beholder.... good luck .... Mike
    It indeed is. I replaced my stock seat for my '21 RT base with the comfort seat. It was ok but this past spring I replaced that with a Corbin 1 piece seat and love it.

Side note: If anyone wants to buy the original seat or the comfort seat, I'll sell them at a decent price. Otherwise I may end up donating them to the local junk yard. Or maybe I'll see if the dealer wants to buy them.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-26-2024 at 08:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

I suppose the challenge with upgrading from the heated seat that comes with the RT Limited is you need the new seat to be compatible (if you care to have heated seats). Are enough options available besides the heated comfort seat from Spyder?

Related question: In the past I had my non-heated seats on a couple of bikes converted to gel seats by a local shop. Not sure if that process works with heated seats (presumably circuitry inside the seat).

Spyder Garage

check the for sale section in this forum for there are some that have lots of after market stuff and hardly driven with decent price tag.