Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble_B View Post
    Same as you. '14 RTS SE6
    Bumble_B, Did you have Switch replaced?

If you did what was the part #?

When I had the D.E.S.S. module/and the Switch replaced the part # for the D.E.S.S. Module is 710004190/ and the switch part # is: 710004413.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    larryd, What does RFE stand for?? Interesting what BRP said about your problem, keep us posted! Deanna
    I meant RFI...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I meant RFI...
    Ok, Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Well, I had a wonderful 472 mile ride today. On the way home, I had the DESS error again. I simply took the key out, flipped it, and everything was fine. I still am going to get the replacement done, but these errors are not enough for me to give up on my spyer yet. I think what really needs to be posted is the "in the field fix" that can be done. I have had the error probably no less than 25-30 in the past year (my first time was the first sunday after Easter 2015) I remember that day, because I was going to drive the bike to church that morning, but after it wouldn't crank, I drove my mustang instead. On the way out I ran over one of the ferrel kittens that I was adopting (but that is another sad story). When I got home, I read on this site (somewhere) that the key was to discharge the system. This was done by disconnecting the hot cable and touching the negative post on the battery. After connecting everything backup, I was good. As I stated, I have had the situation to happen about 25-30 more times, but never had to discharge the system again, simply flip the key and possibly wait 10 minutes in my worst case. Now I just keep the tools on the bike to disconnect the battery, and also keep both keys if going further than 200 miles from home.
    BTW, my first time happened at about 7k miles, now I have almost 14k miles on my 2014 RT SM6.
    25 TO 30 TIMES! You gotta be kidding. That's total BS! Come on BRP! That Goldwing Reverse trike is looking better!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Bumble_B, Did you have Switch replaced?

If you did what was the part #?

When I had the D.E.S.S. module/and the Switch replaced the part # for the D.E.S.S. Module is 710004190/ and the switch part # is: 710004413.

Deanna
    No switch replace, just the module. I brought in the part number to the service department and low and behold they had it on the shelf.
    2020 RTL Chrome Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

No switch replace, just the module. I brought in the part number to the service department and low and behold they had it on the shelf.
    Please post here if you get the D.E.S.S. Error again. Good luck with the module.

Did you have you to pay for the module?

What was the D.E.S.S Module part #?

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 05-16-2016 at 04:06 PM.

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

All .... there is another thread with similar subject matter (can't find it right now). In that thread was the following suggestion -- which works well for many other brands (Indian and HD are the two I know of) -- apologies if this suggestion I already in this thread.

Suggestion: Reprogram the ECM to accept a PIN (actually two, a factory and a user assigned). This works well for bikes that have a FOB (which is what our key is when you get right down to it) in the case where the FOB is lost or stops functioning. User simply enters one of the PINs and the bike will then start. The beauty of this suggestion is the bike is still secure and such a programming change can be done IN THE FIELD!

Again, sorry if this is a duplicate and also for not giving credit to the other party that made the suggestion in the other thread.

Note that I am not affected by this as my RT is 2012 .... but have read much of this thread and sense the level of frustration increasing with the length of the thread.

FOUND IT -- See post number 187 here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...S-issues/page8

Best of luck to all those affected by this -- hoping BRP takes the problem seriously .... Ann
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 04:16 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

What was the module part # that you brought in to your service department?
    Could you post the part #?

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    All .... there is another thread with similar subject matter (can't find it right now). In that thread was the following suggestion -- which works well for many other brands (Indian and HD are the two I know of) -- apologies if this suggestion I already in this thread.

Suggestion: Reprogram the ECM to accept a PIN (actually two, a factory and a user assigned). This works well for bikes that have a FOB (which is what our key is when you get right down to it) in the case where the FOB is lost or stops functioning. User simply enters one of the PINs and the bike will then start. The beauty of this suggestion is the bike is still secure and such a programming change can be done IN THE FIELD!

Again, sorry if this is a duplicate and also for not giving credit to the other party that made the suggestion in the other thread.

Note that I am not affected by this as my RT is 2012 .... but have read much of this thread and sense the level of frustration increasing with the length of the thread.

FOUND IT -- See post number 187 here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...S-issues/page8

Best of luck to all those affected by this -- hoping BRP takes the problem seriously .... Ann
    Ann: and I hope that BRP does do something about this problem REAL SOON!!!!!!!!!! BRP ARE YOU LISTENING!!!!
    I also read the same info above.
    Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 04:20 PM.

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, I will be taking my 2014 RT in for the warranty work on Saturday morning. I have become used to the error now, and know what to do. I just hope the fix doesn't make it worse. I will keep you all posted.

Keith
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
    Keith

Where are you taking your RT to for service?
    Triangle Cycles in Durham, NC. They have been very good about getting my work done, even though I didn't buy the bike from them. I had it in for my 12k mile service and asked them about the D.E.S.S. issue. He said that after the oil change he would send the information in. After he finished, and before I could go, he said that BRP had ok'ed the replacement and he would order the parts. The parts came in after a week, but I have been unavailable for the past month. Finally got an appointment for this Saturday.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have been following all of these threads much like some watch the obits. Feeling for those that this affects reading everyone's comments and feeling fortunate that this hasn't affected me or my 14 RT. Well...

This feeling is gone. This is my 3rd Spyder and my first issue to speak of. Yesterday I was at work and I got the error when I went to leave. Having read all the communication on the subject I removed they key and went back into my office for 15 minutes. When I tried the 2nd time it was fine. I know am left with a feeling of when it will happen again, and I am sure it will. Now my wife is reluctant on getting stuck somewhere and wants to wait until it is repaired. While this "sucks" I am fortunate that others have posted to this issue and that such a forum exists for this reason. Thanks all. I hope this doesn't affect many and that each of us has a dealer that can efficiently handle the issue.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 04:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

First event: On May 3rd, this year, our 2014 RT Limited with 26,500 miles on it had a "one time" D.E.S.S. error come up. Luckily, I was at my home ready to load it on our Droptail trailer....got the trailer ready for loading and whammo, first (and only) D.E.S.S. error code occurred. I also am wondering where it will occur again and leave me stranded far from home - NOT a good feeling!

Second event: Yesterday on a MN Spyderlovers scheduled ride over the Memorial Day weekend, one of our friends, Les (PW2013STL), had his Spyder act up again (about 200 miles from home). Les's Spyder is a 2014 RT Limited and he has had several D.E.S.S. errors. Our group worked on it for over any hour. A LONG story short, we got it started and we rode on. Les is riding it directly to the dealer today!

I will leave the details of this experience to Les if he wants to add more.....wow, what a terrible feeling. At least Les was with our group of 15 Spyders and everyone was helping (the best we could) with the issue and solution(s).

I think this needs to be addressed proactively by BRP to "allow" us to have a dependable vehicle to ride! I will get my module updated (and whatever else is needed) under warranty - the sooner the better. As I see it, it's going to get you (stranded) sooner or later if the failures continue to happen.

Thanks Deanna777 for keeping a thread on this topic!

Good luck to you all.............
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 04:23 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I had my module replaced 10 days ago. We have been getting quite a bit of rain lately, so I have only been able to ride about 150 miles since the fix. With about a total of 10-12 starts on those rides (I was mainly running errands), I will report that it appears to be fixed (for now). In 2 weeks we will be leaving for our annual 5 day trip in the NC/Tenn. mountains. This will be the real test, with about 2k miles logged in within 5 days. Keep your fingers crossed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    First event: On May 3rd, this year, our 2014 RT Limited with 26,500 miles on it had a "one time" D.E.S.S. error come up. Luckily, I was at my home ready to load it on our Droptail trailer....got the trailer ready for loading and whammo, first (and only) D.E.S.S. error code occurred. I also am wondering where it will occur again and leave me stranded far from home - NOT a good feeling!

Second event: Yesterday on a MN Spyderlovers scheduled ride over the Memorial Day weekend, one of our friends, Les (PW2013STL), had his Spyder act up again (about 200 miles from home). Les's Spyder is a 2014 RT Limited and he has had several D.E.S.S. errors. Our group worked on it for over any hour. A LONG story short, we got it started and we rode on. Les is riding it directly to the dealer today!

I will leave the details of this experience to Les if he wants to add more.....wow, what a terrible feeling. At least Les was with our group of 15 Spyders and everyone was helping (the best we could) with the issue and solution(s).

I think this needs to be addressed proactively by BRP to "allow" us to have a dependable vehicle to ride! I will get my module updated (and whatever else is needed) under warranty - the sooner the better. As I see it, it's going to get you (stranded) sooner or later if the failures continue to happen.

It was a good thing that you were at home ( May 3rd) when you got the D.E.S.S. error.
    Second event, It was also a good thing that Les was riding with your group, and he was not stranded some where, and you had a nice ride ( despite the D.E.S.S. error).

with you that BRP needs to allow " us (Spyder owners") to have a dependable vehicle to ride.

You are Welcome ! for me(Deanna777) keeping a thread on this topic going.

I would like to "Thank you" all for posting on this thread and keeping this thread going. I hope BRP does do something about the D.E.S.S.S module real soon.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

I had my module replaced 10 days ago. We have been getting quite a bit of rain lately, so I have only been able to ride about 150 miles since the fix. With about a total of 10-12 starts on those rides (I was mainly running errands), I will report that it appears to be fixed (for now). In 2 weeks we will be leaving for our annual 5 day trip in the NC/Tenn. mountains. This will be the real test, with about 2k miles logged in within 5 days. Keep your fingers crossed.
    Good luck on your trip to NC/ Tenn. mountains.

I hope you don't get the D.E.S.S. error on your trip. Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post

My dess code comes on most of the time I start it. It is not near another key,no high power lines near,both keys do the same thing. I don't dare to stop it away from home.TOTALLY frustrated. I am about ready to cut and run,,,,,,.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ndspyderlover View Post
    My dess code comes on most of the time I start it. It is not near another key,no high power lines near,both keys do the same thing. I don't dare to stop it away from home.TOTALLY frustrated. I am about ready to cut and run,,,,,,.
    Believe me when I say I understand what you are going through. I just drove over 250 miles today without turning off the Spyder (including one fuel stop) to drop it off at my dealer. The owners of my dealership were with us yesterday on our group ride when mine would not start due to the DESS malfunction. Once it started after about an hour of everyone including the shop owner trying to get it started. We tried the 4 to 5 key off and ons, disconnecting the battery, the spare key, and more? I think it finally came down to length of sit time. I left the group and drove to the hotel, but first I stopped (without shutting it off) to top off the tank.

There was a group cheer when mine started this morning.

I trust that they will get it fixed and I still will take it on all my planned trips, but it sure would be nice if I can trust that it will start every time.

If you have not contacted your dealer about this - you should, and tell them that BRP is recommending your DESS module be replaced with the current updated one.

Les
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 04:26 PM.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Believe me when I say I understand what you are going through. I just drove over 250 miles today without turning off the Spyder (including one fuel stop) to drop it off at my dealer. The owners of my dealership were with us yesterday on our group ride when mine would not start due to the DESS malfunction. Once it started after about an hour of everyone including the shop owner trying to get it started. We tried the 4 to 5 key off and ons, disconnecting the battery, the spare key, and more? I think it finally came down to length of sit time. I left the group and drove to the hotel, but first I stopped (without shutting it off) to top off the tank.

There was a group cheer when mine started this morning.

I trust that they will get it fixed and I still will take it on all my planned trips, but it sure would be nice if I can trust that it will start every time.

If you have not contacted your dealer about this - you should, and tell them that BRP is recommending your DESS module be replaced with the current updated one.

Les
    Who is your dealer? Mine was Honda Motorsports out of St Cloud. They are no longer in business.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 04:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    .....We tried the 4 to 5 key off and ons, disconnecting the battery, the spare key, and more? I think it finely came down to length of sit time. I left the group and drove to the hotel, but first I stopped (without shutting it off) to top off the tank....
    Disconnecting the key is not enough. You will need to expel the system of electrical charge by touching the hot cable to the negative post. That is what I did to mine, and it worked.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 04:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

Disconnecting the key is not enough. You will need to expel the system of electrical charge by touching the hot cable to the negative post. That is what I did to mine, and it worked.
    Thanks for the info.

Good Luck!

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 04:28 PM.

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ground??

Did you do it with the negative cable still hooked to battery?? Electronics can be very fickle!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 04:29 PM.
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

DESS again on May 30 with 4916 module

Stopped and took a break at the rest area at the intersection Wykoff Run and Quehanna Hwy....
    Went to leave and the dash displayed DESS error for about 5 seconds and then went back to normal and Spyder started...Didn't stay displayed long enough to take a picture or pull the code...
    My cell phone and my other chipped keys were back in my right saddle bag attached to my cooler bag...There are no electric lines near by...

I WANT THIS FIXED OR TURNED OFF UNTIL A PROPER FIX IS AVAILABLE... THE NEXT TIME THIS THING LET ME SET ITS GONE...

I rode a demo R18 at State College about 2 weeks ago at a Goldwing show...A real sweat ride...It does not have the storage of my Spyder or the electric shift and the reverse is weak, but for the reliability peace of mind, this will replace my Spyder the next time it lets me set...

COME ON BRP/STEVE, LET MY DEALER TURN THE DESS OFF OR GET IT FIXED...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 04:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    Did you do it with the negative cable still hooked to battery?? Electronics can be very fickle!!
    Yes, the negative cable can still be hooked up. I just touched the post with the positive cable and it cleared the system of all electric currents. Then everything was fine. This is not a fix, but it is something to do to keep you from being stranded along the side of the road. It worked for me. Besides, if you are waiting for a tow truck, you may as well try something.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 04:30 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I recommend making a Formal Complaint to NHTSA at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

This is a continuing problem that needs a general recall and fix. How many pages now. Being stranded is not safe for single riders. BRP has a fun product with the Spyder, it needs better reliability/TQM. I've said this before in another thread but here I go again. Consumer Reports states that 42 out of 100 units fail and is the worst in the MC industry. For riders not having problems that's great but for the roughly 42% that have failures (some have multiples) this is not acceptable. Ann (wife) has been stuck on the side of the road 3 times now.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 04:31 PM.