I had posted this on Brogers thread who has been plagued with slow service from his servicing dealership and probably BRP. The discussion had numerous comments about the reasons for this from it being the dealership fault to BRP's fault. I thought I would ask your opinions on the subject..

There have been a lot of comments about BRP and their dealers technical staff. Comments about BRP needing to step up to the plate and get the dealers they have in place staffed with trained certified technicians. Looking at these issues from an automotive dealership prospective (which is the business I have been in for over 40 years) I deal with the same problems. It's unfortunate but there are not a lot of young people getting into the trade. Vehicles are becoming so complex with can bus systems, computers, sensors on top of sensors that these vehicles can be extremely difficult to repair. There are no more plugs, points and condensers like the good old days. Trying to find skilled labor is extremely difficult. Not many getting into the trade and the good people are usually happy where they are and feel the grass is probably not greener at another dealership and they are not willing to move. The Nissan store I'm at has been growing for years and I have a fairly stable staff but I could use 2-3 more technicians. I'm not expecting Master technicians but I would love some guys with a good backround, good work ethics and most important a good attitude. I have been advertising all of this year, all over the country, and have had very minimal luck. Unfortunately, it's the automotive industry which is probably the same as the power sports industry. I can imagine running a Can-Am store and trying to grow a technical staff, it would be very difficult to say the least. I think the only way it will happen is if dealerships find guys (or gals) that love the product, pay them very well and treat them like family so they stay forever. Then they must require that they take every web based course that is offered and send them away to any training that BRP offers. It's not cheap but it's a must. I think the responsibility primarily rests on the dealerships shoulders. Maybe BRP could do what some of the major automotive manufacturers do, get in bed with tech schools and sponsor and support training within the schools specific to BRP's brand.

What other plans or policies would you suggest BRP implement to correct the technical staff issues that exist within their dealerships?

I will say that it pays to look around when your looking at dealerships to repair your bike because there are good ones out there. Go in and meet the service manager, ask how long he has been there, ask how long their Can Am techs have been with them, ask what their thoughts are on servicing bikes not purchased at their dealership. That last one always blew my mind. I don't care where the customer bought the vehicle, I want more customers. I want repeat business. If I take good care of them they are going to buy there next vehicle from me, which means more service work. Customers for life, it's big circle from sales to service, to parts, again and again.

If anyone is in Connecticut I'd highly recommend GSS Gargano Powersports in East Haven. Family run and a Master tech that knows his stuff. I have 25K on my 2010 RTS and only a few minor issues that they have quickly resolved. I have the confidence in my bike that I would jump on it tomorrow and ride it across the country. Yes I'm addicted to my RTS !