Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cant decided

Spyder Garage

Default cant decided

I will start off with im new to the site .. I just totaled my baby ( 2012 Goldwing ) and now the insurance company is finished up I cant deside do I buy New 2015 or plunk out cash for a 10 -1 2 rt .. what would you do and whats the motor differences from say 2010 to 15 ?

Spyder Garage

the 15 has the new 1330 engine and was redesigned for any heat problems, the engine is fantastic and there is less shifting and more power then the earlier bikes
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by james199 View Post
    I will start off with im new to the site .. I just totaled my baby ( 2012 Goldwing ) and now the insurance company is finished up I cant deside do I buy New 2015 or plunk out cash for a 10 -1 2 rt .. what would you do and whats the motor differences from say 2010 to 15 ?

In 2014 BRP introduced the three cylinder 1330 Engine, it is currently only available in the RT or F3 series, it is a great engine and has a less expensive maintenance routine than the V Twin 998.

I would be looking for a newer model with the 1330 for a multitude of reasons.

Good Luck

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your 'Wing; is everyone okay?
    Your question is a very good one; folks have been wrestling with it ever since the 2014 RTs came out with all of the improvements...

...And those improvements make the newer bikes a better choice! (IMHO)
    The 1330/6 speed combination gives better fuel mileage than the older 998/5 speed setup...
    They also offer more "Real World" power (Useful at normal speeds)
    The 1200 watt alternator blows the older 650 watt magneto out of the water.
    The dual radiators up front do a much better job of cooling the bike, AND keeping that heat away from the rider.

The 998s are very good... the 1330s are just a whole lot better!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    In 2014 BRP introduced the three cylinder 1330 Engine, it is currently only available in the RT or F3 series, it is a great engine and has a less expensive maintenance routine than the V Twin 998.

I would be looking for a newer model with the 1330 for a multitude of reasons.

Good Luck

Cruzr Joe

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

The motor was the same from 2010 through 2013. In 2014 the ACE 1330 triple was added to RT's and to the F3 in 2015. Those who have ridden machines with both configurations, usually say, that the 1330 is quieter, smoother, lower torque, and less maintenance.

Since you are coming off of a Goldwing, you would most likely be happiest with the 2014, 2015, or whatever is coming for 2016. I do recommend a test drive to see what you like the best and if a is in your future.

Some buys to be found on 2014's, close outs coming on 2015's as we get near the end of September.

Keep us informed, or ask questions if you have them. And, happy hunting.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I sold a GoldWing to buy a spyder... first of all... go to your local dealer and test drive a spyder.. . check how much it is to maintain one of these machines.. I rode a 998cc spyder... then a 1330cc spyder ... I strongly recommend buying 1330cc.. 2014 or newer.. older spyders have lots of build in problems..

osm

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

all of the above...but if you can swing the 2015 your going to feel more at home...sorry about the late missus...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your wing, go for a 2014 or 2015 RT, I just purchased mine a week a go and i am glad that I did. I got the 1330 model. a little less power and torque than the wing but more fun than a barrel of monkeys on a wet day!
    2014 Timeless Custom Burgandy/Silver Platinum RT Limited/SE - BRP Zumo 590 GPS System; BRP SM10 Bluetooth Dongle; BRP XM Radio; BRP Heated Comfort Seat; BRP Driver Backrest; BRP Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars; BRP Chrome Adj Side Vents; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; Big Bike Parts Armrests; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar & Heim Links.
    2014 RT Limited , Burgandy and Silver

Spyder Garage

Coming off a Wing, may I assume you are a touring person? If so, the trikes with the 1330 engine and 6-spd trx will give you a 250 (advertised) range. That is really nice. As much fun as I had riding my 2013, I started looking for gas at about 100 miles. At 150 miles, I was REALLY looking! Every fill-up I was already thinking about the next stop. The 2014 and newer 1330s give you range to stay with the pack, and it can be quite handy out west where stations are a little further apart! Happy motoring!

Spyder Garage

I would not over look an older spyder at all. I have a 2013RT and love it. Yes the 1330 is a bigger motor but the 998 is a great motor.
    I would but my 998 up against any 1330 on any long trip and be right there beside its bigger brother at the end of the trip. you can find great deals
    on the older spyders and save some cash. By the way I have no issues with my 2013 RT. It seams like the smaller motor get bashed a little bit on this site and I do not really get why. just my two cents. Newer is not always better.

Spyder Garage

I will start off with im new to the site .. I just totaled my baby ( 2012 Goldwing ) and now the insurance company is finished up I cant deside do I buy New 2015 or plunk out cash for a 10 -1 2 rt .. what would you do and whats the motor differences from say 2010 to 15 ?[/QUOTE]

Thanks everyone for your help I will definitely start looking for a 14 or newer and by the time the insurance company gets my check to me it should be about time for the 16's to be out so I'll be deal hunting . Thanks again for the help

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your help I will definitely start looking for a 14 or newer and by the time the insurance company gets my check to me it should be about time for the 16's to be out so I'll be deal hunting . Thanks again for the help
    Lots of deals on 2015s right now. But the supply is dwindling rapidly. Good luck with your shopping. I'm glad it was your Goldwing that was totalled and not you!

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[/QUOTE]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 Spyder RT as I was in the same boat as you are. I know, I know... the 1330cc /6 speed is very very wonderful and the ol' 990 V-twin is junk but I didn't want to go in debt for the remainder of my twilight years. If you start looking for 2014 RTs you will find that there are almost NO new ones left out there and used ones are like hen's teeth. When you see one, the seller will want mid-$20s. I suspect you will see somewhere between $13K and $18K for the wrecked GL1800. If it is more and it is just a matter of coming up with a couple thousand bucks, get a leftover 2015... suspect they will be discounting them when the 2016 RT hits the streets next month. If you are poor (or cheap like me), don't get a 2010 RT.... too many little things have been improved on. Get a 2012 which appears to be the cream of the crop among 990cc RTs... lots of improvements and not much more cost.

The 990 engine is supposed to have come from an Aprilla sport bike. You need to rev it but it does make enough power to keep the RT moving just fine. Mine doesn't have any mechanical or heat issues BUT my RT IS A GAS HOG... 27-33 MPG. With a 6 gallon tank 125-150 mile range. My RT is comfy enough where that isn't all that great but it is what it is. I paid cash for mine and own it and not the bank so that is my story. Am I dumb for buying it? Maybe but I believe in living debt free to the best of my ability to do so. Test ride both before buying. Keep in mind also that if you buy used the previous owner may have added things that the OEM should have and there will be some big differences in the ride of any two Spyders. My 2010 now rides better than ANY stock RT up through 2013 since I have put some money into handling and suspension.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like my GW trike. I like Mr. Cognac. I traded a 2011 RT-S in on him. The 2014-15 Spyders are very good, better in many ways mentioned than the 2010-13. Go for a '14 or '15 3 cyl. Enjoy.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

If you were happy with the performance of your GW, buy the '15. With the bigger motor it has the same horsepower and torque but the RT weighs about 200-250LBS.more, so the power to weight is more with the Spyder RT,but it gets the job done quite well even w/towing a trailer. Good Luck w/your choice. Mad Mac (X WING rider)

Spyder Garage

Just announced by BRP. $4,000 off 2014 and $3,000 off 2015. They are calling it their Yellow Tag Sale.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Some dealers are doubling the 3000 rebate on the 2015 RT's

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 vs 2010/2012

2014/15 RT and F3 have a 1330 vs 998 plus you get better gas mileages with a 2014/15.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbirds View Post
    Some dealers are doubling the 3000 rebate on the 2015 RT's
    That might be a hint that something very interesting will happen in about five weeks...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you're buying a Spyder....get a new one. If you're trying to decide on buying a new 'Wing OR a Spyder...then take a long test drive on the Spyder to see if you really like it.

I too, sold my Goldwing 1800 for a 2014 Spyder RT-S and still have mixed feelings. When I'm tired, have a passenger on back, have been driving all day, then I'm glad to be on 3 wheels. No balancing or braking issues, and no need to worry about dumping the passenger in a fall.
    When I'm fresh and out riding, man, do I miss the 'Wing. I love the leaning going into and out of curves and the quietness and smoothness of the 1832cc's. It's easier riding 2 wheels, and my feeling on the Spyder is that it's just like riding an ATV down the road. It want's to throw you in the high speed turns, so you HAVE TO LEAN into the turn to compensate.
    I've been riding close to 50 years.....both bikes, trikes, atv's and sleds, so I'm no virgin.
    Many on this forum love their Spyders and are ready to defend their position.
    I have my likes and dislikes....but for probably 60% of the time, I miss my two wheels.
    Just my 2 cent's worth.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's why you should keep a "leaner" around...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You're right, Bob.
    Now all I have to do is convince my wife. I've got her to admit, that she likes riding on 2 wheels better, but also likes that the Spyder eliminates potential problems when I'm tired and still out on the road.
    Something that I'll have to work on.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WING MAN

Since you said you are coming from a WING.....DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER the V-twin Spyder.........You will hate it very shortly......jmho......Mike