Spyder Garage

Question Spyder-friendly Motorcycle Safety courses?

Any updates on where one can find Spyder-friendly MSF (MFS?) state approved courses?

Last I heard Lufkin, TX had one and there was another down near Lamark, TX at the old greyhound racetrack.... it's like a 2 hour + drive either way for me.

I'd like to take the course so as to get the insurance discount and be legal, but I'm NOT a fan of long rides or drives either for that matter.

Thanks.

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michael211_2000 View Post
    Any updates on where one can find Spyder-friendly MSF (MFS?) state approved courses?

Last I heard Lufkin, TX had one and there was another down near Lamark, TX at the old greyhound racetrack.... it's like a 2 hour + drive either way for me.

I'd like to take the course so as to get the insurance discount and be legal, but I'm NOT a fan of long rides or drives either for that matter.

Thanks.

- Michael
    Any MSF approved trike course will do. They all require that you provide your own machine. You will be among traditional trikes, along with other Spyders. It doesn't matter, as long as you pass the written test and the skills test, you will get your endorsement.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Default 3WBRC

Motorcycle Training Center (MTC) has numerous training sites across the state, including one range in the Houston area. Call the main office (1-800-410-4549) and ask if the 3WBRC is offered in the Houston area.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

Default Lufkin course

Thanks.

- Michael
    I took the course in Lufkin last year and really enjoyed it. Marcus was such a great teacher, I plan to take his one day refresher course next summer. While he rides a Harley he converted to a trike, he doesn't care what you are riding, as long as you are riding.

Spyder Garage

Oh I believe ya! I just will not spend 4+ hours round trip for 8 hours of "instruction". That's just too far for me to go, too much time spent getting there and then getting back home (which is a hard limit for me!).

- Michael

Quote Originally Posted by br54999 View Post
    I took the course in Lufkin last year and really enjoyed it. Marcus was such a great teacher, I plan to take his one day refresher course next summer. While he rides a Harley he converted to a trike, he doesn't care what you are riding, as long as you are riding.

Spyder Garage

Cool

Ok that's new information to me Pam! The last time I'd called around (back when I 1st bought this Spyder) the Harley Davidson place in Kingwood only taught on 2 wheels they said (as did a few others I'd called... I just don't remember their names now). I'll try calling around again though.

Can anyone tell me if there is a 3M (or M3?) endorsement in TX or is it only an M? I have never and never will have any interest in less than 3 wheels that's my minimum on land!

Thanks!

- Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Any MSF approved trike course will do. They all require that you provide your own machine. Pam

Spyder Garage

Ok that's new information to me Pam! The last time I'd called around (back when I 1st bought this Spyder) the Harley Davidson place in Kingwood only taught on 2 wheels they said (as did a few others I'd called... I just don't remember their names now). I'll try calling around again though.

Can anyone tell me if there is a 3M (or M3?) endorsement in TX or is it only an M? I have never and never will have any interest in less than 3 wheels that's my minimum on land!

Thanks!

- Michael
    Not all Motorcycle schools offer trike classes, you have to google around to find them. And unfortunately, the trike classes are more expensive. I was looking into it for a friend of mine who didn't have a motorcycle endorsement, and asked a couple places why its more expensive for trike classes, and was told its because the classes are smaller thus less people to spread the overhead.

I'm not sure how Texas works, but here in Arizona if you pass the trike skills test, you get the "M" on your license just the same as those of us who tested and road on two wheels.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Michael, as Pam said it is in Arizona so it seems in Texas. My wife took the MSF approved trike course here in Amarillo last year, passed the skills test, passed the DPS written test and received her "M" license. Her license looks no different then mine, which I got on two wheels several years ago. Hope this helps.

Jim

Spyder Garage

Default Trike Training

Oh I believe ya! I just will not spend 4+ hours round trip for 8 hours of "instruction". That's just too far for me to go, too much time spent getting there and then getting back home (which is a hard limit for me!).

- Michael
    I understand the travel time, since I live outside New Waverly. One thing to consider is the class in Lufkin is 2 days and cheaper than the 3 days for the South Houston classes. I rode over on Saturday morning and spent the night in Lufkin. Even with the cost of a hotel for one night, it was cheaper than spending 3 days at the class in South Houston. Good Luck!

Spyder Garage
    $Bill
    '10 Orbital Blue RT-S SE5
    '15 White/Black F3S SE6
    '13 Victory Cross Country Blacked Out - TRADED
    "No matter where you go, there you are"

USAF 1963-1987, US Fed Courts 1987-2010
    Retired 2010-?

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by br54999 View Post
    I understand the travel time, since I live outside New Waverly. One thing to consider is the class in Lufkin is 2 days and cheaper than the 3 days for the South Houston classes. I rode over on Saturday morning and spent the night in Lufkin. Even with the cost of a hotel for one night, it was cheaper than spending 3 days at the class in South Houston. Good Luck!
    I cannot spend the night... I have furry-kiddos at home that have to be taken care of every night, and nobody else but me to care for them. So... no long road trips, no overnight stays away.

Right now I don't have the money for a course anyways, I'm having problems getting paid for work I did this summer for a company down in Houston. Arghhh!

Thanks for the info though.

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigLefty View Post
    Michael, as Pam said it is in Arizona so it seems in Texas. My wife took the MSF approved trike course here in Amarillo last year, passed the skills test, passed the DPS written test and received her "M" license. Her license looks no different then mine, which I got on two wheels several years ago. Hope this helps.

Jim
    They changed this late last year. If you take a trike class you get a trike restriction on your license (assuming you don't already have the M).
    2013 RT , Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wow.. appears that riding to Walmart is your limitations.. should've bought the peddling kind with the basket in the back... Riding dirty will increase your chance in the removal of your butt from the bike and impounded till said requirements are met..GL.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Thanks but luck is not a factor.

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Default Michigan 3WBRC

I know long time no hear. My 2012 Spyder RT is in the shop getting updates and the 5k oil change.
    I am trying to find a 3WBRC for my wife. I have my CY but would like to get my CY for her.
    Any ideas? We live in Niles, MI near the Indiana border. Can we go into Indiana to get the 3WBRC
    and bring it back into Michigan for the endorsement?
    Rob Harris, USN, ret
    Thank you all of our future, present and former military for your service throughout the world.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Friendly Motorcycle Safety Course

Michael,
    My wife and I took the trike safety course in Lufkin, Tx. in March 2011. We both enjoyed the course. A friend of mine offers the MFS course and trike course in Tyler, TX. I took the MFS course in January 2011 from his group. Send me a PM if you would like further information.

Reese
    2010 RT-S SE5 Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Smile

Thanks but I'm near-ish to Kingwood/Humble. Lufkin is almost a 2 hour drive/ride 1-way... I'm not overly fond of long road trips in my truck nor on my Spyder. I'll find someplace nearer hopefully later this Fall and try to get this thing accomplished, it's far too darned hot to be barely moving outside in the middle of the day right now in full riding gear.

I'm sure the Lufkin course is great everybody says great things about that course. If it was like held in Livingston it would be more within my "trip tolerance" though. Seriously the only time I've ever crossed over the Texas border was 3 years ago when I went to Baton Rouge LA to buy this Spyder and trailer it back home and I was SOOOOO glad to finally pull into my driveway with it that night at 9:30 pm I swore never ever again! LOL! Then not 3 months later 2 more Spyder's identical to mine with under 1000 miles each showed up for sale on Houston Craigslist for basically the same price as the one I bought from Baton Rouge. Arghhhh!

- Michael

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default The one I took....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Mancuso Houston

Thanks.

- Michael
    Contact Mancuso Harley on 290. Tell them you want to know about the next course. There are four or five Mancuso Powersport dealers in and around the Houston area.
    A winner is not the one who never loses. A winner is the one who gets knocked down a thousand times and never stays there.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default How was it it?

Quote Originally Posted by jsw469 View Post
    My Cuz and I are taking that course July 7-9. How was it and what kind of loaner bikes did they provide?
    A winner is not the one who never loses. A winner is the one who gets knocked down a thousand times and never stays there.

Spyder Garage

Default Total Rider in Austin

Thought I'd update this thread with a more recent experience; my wife and I both just completed the Basic 3-Wheel Course offered by Total Rider, taking advantage of the BRP promotion that dropped the cost to $50 per person.

Neither of us is an experienced rider -- as in, no experience whatsoever. We both enjoyed it thoroughly, and it accomplished our objective of determining whether or not we wanted to go ahead and get a Spyder. (Answer: yes. We'll be finalizing that in the next few days!)

Jeff was our instructor, and he did a great job of not only covering the material effectively but ensuring we were really absorbing the concepts and skills. I took my first test ride out in the real world this last weekend, and I felt very well prepared -- and had a blast.

No personal stake in the company or anything like that; since I've benefited greatly from lurking on this forum as we moved from "maybe we could" to "totally gotta," I just wanted to pay it forward.

http://totalrider.com/

We're looking to connecting with some of the other central Texas Sypder Ryders soon -- we'll focus on building up some experience before we slow any of you down on a group ride!
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

if you go to can-am website, they have a 3 wheel class for $50. they have all the locations listed on their site and hopefully one is near you.

https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/LicensePromoCode.html

Spyder Garage

Hey UtahPete, you might want to check the date on the original post that you just quoted....

I agree it might be just a little confusing, but it's also just a leeedle bit old!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!