Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 15 INCH TIRES ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Mike
    If I recall; you're running a tire that is not the same size as the OEM.
    I mentioned that the Solus is in a "workable" size, because the overall diameter is (I think!) within .1% of the OEM.
    I don't recall the size that you're running, but if you post it again; I'll crunch some numbers...
    ......My post was in Reply to JC's claim .............that's why I had His post in a Quote...........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I do not remember the specific size but I looked at the Toyo as would have preferred that tire to the Federal. They will not work with the updated fenders. Mike has the older round style fenders that leave more tire room.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I do not remember the specific size but I looked at the Toyo as would have preferred that tire to the Federal. They will not work with the updated fenders. Mike has the older round style fenders that leave more tire room.
    As I recall; BRP tightened up the "fender to rubber" gap, by about 50% for the new-style fenders.

I was going to mention this; if he gave us the size tire that he uses.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    Go to any Goldwing forum and tell them you put a set of Kenda tires on your GL1800. THAT WOULD BE HILARIOUS!
    well, since I don't presently own a GL1800 ... I will refrain..

osm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just stop by your local Honda Motorcycle Dealership first!

Spyder Garage

Default THAT GAP

As I recall; BRP tightened up the "fender to rubber" gap, by about 50% for the new-style fenders.

I was going to mention this; if he gave us the size tire that he uses.
    The " GAP " you are referring to has absolutely NO MEANING regarding Tire Fitment......The 50 % reduction is measured from the middle of the tire to the inside of the middle of the fender.........Since the tires are and fenders are in a fixed position relative to each other it's whether the TIRE touches the outside EDGE or inside of the fender plastic piece ( on new style fenders ) or the support bracket on the OLD style fenders.............................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you decide to run a larger tire; that gap WILL be reduced...
    Your old-style fenders have a larger gap; so you can run more "meat" underneath them...
    The new fenders require a bit more care in tire selection...

Spyder Garage

Default Tire gap

If you decide to run a larger tire; that gap WILL be reduced...
    Your old-style fenders have a larger gap; so you can run more "meat" underneath them...
    The new fenders require a bit more care in tire selection...
    So what fits in the new style fenders without issue or modification?
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike hasn't mentioned (in here) what size he's running under the old fenders, or how much clearance he still has...

Spyder Garage

Default I'M TRYING TO FIGURE THIS OUT FOR YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by cyclekid58 View Post
    So what fits in the new style fenders without issue or modification?
    I hope you've noticed my new thread about 175 / 65 - 15 tires and who has them......lots of lookers but so far no one admits to having that size on their current or past Spyder .!!!!!!..................Keep your fingers crossed................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just playing with the numbers; it would appear that the 175/55-15 would be a much more compatible match...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This one seems to match up even better!

Spyder Garage

Default YOUR KIDDING RIGHT

This one seems to match up even better!
    WRONG , WRONG, WRONG, ........Robert !!!....the difference in width here is ...12% ....you think that is a close match................The WIDTH of the tires used on a Spyder is far more important than the circumference...............This is a FACT not my opinion.................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always thought that you liked some meat underneath the front end.
    You have to be more careful about changing the tire diameters (As long as the new ones can fit under the fenders).
    Mis-matched tires speeds can cause error messages to pop up!

Spyder Garage

Default omg

I always thought that you liked some meat underneath the front end.......What I like, and can do is far different than what I would " blithely " suggest to others to do .....like YOU have just done......leading people astray can be very expensive for them when they take BAD ADVICE !!!!!!
    You have to be more careful about changing the tire diameters (As long as the new ones can fit under the fenders).
    Mis-matched tires speeds can cause error messages to pop up!
    ....Really, ...OK ...name one ( size ) tire that will fit in the fender ( of a Spyder ) that will cause an ERROR message ???????........Mike Part 1. of my reply is in .blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"What I like, and can do is far different than what I would " blithely " suggest to others to do .....like YOU have just done......leading people astray can be very expensive for them when they take BAD ADVICE !!!!!!"

Exactly what bad advice are you referring to? I am pretty much the "Poster Child", for saying leave it as close to stock as you can...
    I have only recently begun to re-think some of my theories about tires sizes, and am open to discussion about them.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default What vehicle?

OK guys, here's the question. What vehicle do we say we're buying tires for when we buy front tires? I was going to order the Federal 165R55/15 from Onlinetires.com but a mandatory box asks what vehicle. So what do I put in there? And what do I put in there if I want to instead order the Kumho 155R60/15 tire? I don't find where this has been discussed here before.

I wonder if there may be some Federal rules coming into play requiring online sellers to verify application? When I ordered the rear tire last spring, or was it last fall, from onlinetires I didn't have to give a vehicle info.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For those sizes; tell them that it's for a custom street rod!
    (I don't know of any cages that run those sizes...)

Spyder Garage

Default THIS VEHICLE

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    OK guys, here's the question. What vehicle do we say we're buying tires for when we buy front tires? I was going to order the Federal 165R55/15 from Onlinetires.com but a mandatory box asks what vehicle. So what do I put in there? And what do I put in there if I want to instead order the Kumho 155R60/15 tire? I don't find where this has been discussed here before.

I wonder if there may be some Federal rules coming into play requiring online sellers to verify application? When I ordered the rear tire last spring, or was it last fall, from onlinetires I didn't have to give a vehicle info.
    W.W.----- tell them you have a 1965 VW ................I think that was the OEM size........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default THIS BAD ADVICE

"What I like, and can do is far different than what I would " blithely " suggest to others to do .....like YOU have just done......leading people astray can be very expensive for them when they take BAD ADVICE !!!!!!"

Exactly what bad advice are you referring to? I am pretty much the "Poster Child", for saying leave it as close to stock as you can...
    I have only recently begun to re-think some of my theories about tires sizes, and am open to discussion about them.
    .....The last TIRE chart you posted showed a 185/50-15 Tire and you stated " THIS ONE SEEMS TO MATCH UP EVEN BETTER ".!!!!! anyone thinking this was GOOD advice would have found out after purchase that it wouldn't fit.....without extensive modifications.........I consider this to be BAD ADVICE............there are newcomers here who look at your POST COUNT and may get the impression what you have to say is valid...........most of the old-timers KNOW BETTER.....................and I realize I'm in discussing anything with you......................Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-14-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I should have clarified my statement: Based solely upon tire diameters; it matches up even better.
    I suppose that I'm oversimplifying it; but I look more closely at potential error codes, than I do actual fitment problems.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post

Check out the following if you want to save $$ on Federal.
    Here was my order to them last week, delivered:

tires-easy.com $127.97 USD 2 $127.97 USD
    http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rs...hen=View+Tires
    Last edited by ulflyer; 08-14-2015 at 06:25 PM.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)