Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default FEDERAL EVO 595 TIRES

I was wondering if anyone could comment about the Federal Evo 595 tires for the front tires on the Spyder. I currently have 23,000 miles on my OEM Kendas with no problems and should be able to get another 5000 miles out of them. But I have read some disturbing posts regarding defective Kenda tires that needed to be replaced due to balance issues, uneven wear, etc. If I replace with Kendas again I don't know if I will be happy or will be unlucky and get some defective tires? My dealer has no problems with installing aftermarket tires.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Car tires are usually much more cheaper, durable and longer lasting than Kenda, but you seem to be doing great with them. Car tires are excess of what the Spyder needs compared to the weight and forces a car has, you may not even notice a flat or low pressure. Just beware of getting to cheap/hard compound of a tire, it could be much more difficult to stop as quickly and the ABS will be quite busy. Falken was the brand I used up front, they have had some track and twisty time, look untouched and stick great.
    Last edited by AMTJIM; 08-11-2015 at 03:06 AM.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Since Federal and Kenda are the only available replacements for the 15" fronts we installed a pair of the Federals on Louise RT. She now has a few thousand miles on them and they ride smooth and balanced with very little weight when installed. I was not keen on the chinese Federal brand but they were a significant step up from the crappy Kendas.

Her OEM Kendas were separating and would no longer balance at 8000 miles. I was not interested in a repeat performance.

I do wish there was a top tier tire available for the 15" front size but guess its too small a market.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    Car tires are usually much more cheaper, durable and longer lasting than Kenda, but you seem to be doing great with them.

You've had no trouble with the OEM tires; why not continue to use them?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

if you are a gambling man.... use the OEM's again... maybe you will be lucky again... maybe NOT.... Kenda's have a reputation for being crappy...

osm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    if you are a gambling man.... use the OEM's again... maybe you will be lucky again... maybe NOT.... Kenda's have a reputation for being crappy...

osm
    Go to any Goldwing forum and tell them you put a set of Kenda tires on your GL1800. THAT WOULD BE HILARIOUS!
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

I had over 43000 miles on my 2012 front OEM Kenda tires so was pretty pleased with them. However, less than 8000 miles on my 2014 RTL resulted in both front tires looking like they belonged in a junk yard. My dealer replaced them with Federal EVOS and I have 28000+ on them now with very little sign of wear.. Pretty certain I will get over 40000 plus I am extremely pleased with handling and traction.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    I had over 43000 miles on my 2012 front OEM Kenda tires so was pretty pleased with them. However, less than 8000 miles on my 2014 RTL resulted in both front tires looking like they belonged in a junk yard. My dealer replaced them with Federal EVOS and I have 28000+ on them now with very little sign of wear.. Pretty certain I will get over 40000 plus I am extremely pleased with handling and traction.
    Glad to hear this as my front tires look like crap and the right front has a broken belt.
    I have found a good deal on a pair of Federal EVOS and will pull the trigger asap and
    put them on. I have 16,000 miles on them and they still have lots of tread but they are
    cupped and make the bike shake a little. I just had the laser aglinment done so I should
    be all set. Thanks for your info.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

There are a few that are using the Federals, they seem to like them. I researched them heavily and decided against them, as they are primarily a "drifter" tire and many users reported terrible wet traction. I personally do not like the characteristics of a "drifter" tire on the front of my Spyders. Intentionally breaking traction is not what I want.

So, I instead chose to try the Kumho Solus KH 16. Not available in the OEM 165/55-15 size, but available in the 155/60-15 and 175/55-15 sizes, being very very close in diameter and only -10 mm or +10 mm in width, very negligible. So far I am impressed with how they have been performing and wearing, not exactly the performance tire I was looking for but they are round and balance well, unlike the many sets of Kendas I had that were terribly out of round and unable to balance. Yes, the 4-ply tires are a tad stiffer but I like my Spyder to corner flat, not wallow like a boat. yes I have Baja Rons sway bar as well, and Fox shocks on my ST-S with the Kumhos. Funny thing is I will not run the Kumho ECSTA tires on the rear any more, not good enough.

So I have not tried the Federals up front, some have, if you do some research on them you might be scared to use them, I was. Drifter tire. Please be careful.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sled (Or should it be: "Mr Master"?),

Since I'm completely unfamiliar with what a drifter tire is; can you explain (to a complete moron ), how they can design a tire to break loose like that at it's limits, and what are the chances of a low-performance rider ever finding that limit?
    Thanks

Oh! I also have a question about the Spyder's belt drive for you: I'll PM you with it...

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

federal is a pretty good off brand tire made in taiwan(or at least owned) but it is not a choice for me. at my place mostly kids buy
    them since they are cheap.

Spyder Garage

No lies or cover ups or bragging, Bob. We know the locals refer to you as DK!
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I got almost 30,000 on my last set of Federal Evo's and so I put them on again.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    No lies or cover ups or bragging, Bob. We know the locals refer to you as DK!
    If DK stands for "Don't Know"; you're probably right!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I got almost 30,000 on my last set of Federal Evo's and so I put them on again.
    Ann,
    I know that you're not a rider who babies their mount... Did you EVER feel as if you were coming up against the limits of the tire?
    On my 2010; as the front tires got up to 17,000 miles or so; I could notice a bit of unsteadiness in the really fun corners...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Federal 595 tires

I have these Federal tires on the front of my 2014 RTS for several thousand miles and I'm VERY HAPPY with them...

Tread wear is 260, Temperature is A, Traction is A, (which is next to the BEST rating for straight- line wet road traction...

No where on the tire does it have a "special purpose rating"...I suppose anyone can use any tire for anything they wish...

They are far superior to my "cupping Kendas"

larryd

Spyder Garage

Default Federal Evo's

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I have these Federal tires on the front of my 2014 RTS for several thousand miles and I'm VERY HAPPY with them...

Tread wear is 260, Temperature is A, Traction is A, (which is next to the BEST rating for straight- line wet road traction...

No where on the tire does it have a "special purpose rating"...I suppose anyone can use any tire for anything they wish...

They are far superior to my "cupping Kendas"

larryd
    So have you done much rain riding, stopping etc. ratings can be decieving, actual road usage is what tells the tale. Reports I read said they were great on dry, but terrible on wet roads.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

Drift King...Fast and Furious:Tokyo Drift
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only drifting I do...

...is off to sleep!

Ann and Doc have probably 60,000 combined miles on these tires...
    How about it: what is their "wet conditions" performance like?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-12-2015 at 02:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    federal is a pretty good off brand tire made in taiwan(or at least owned) but it is not a choice for me. at my place mostly kids buy
    them since they are cheap.

Trouble is, for the 15 inch fronts, it comes down to Kenda or Federal.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Kumho has the Solus in a workable size... 155/60-15

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Kumho has the Solus in a workable size... 155/60-15

I agree since that is what I am running. They handle great on both wet and dry roads. With the exception of standing water I have had no issues with traction.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Near the end of our trip to Alaska we hit some heavy rain on a pretty crummy road with lots of standing water. I did experience some hydroplaning that day but my rear tire was pretty much shot by that time. I didn't have any trouble earlier in the trip on rain so I attribute that hydroplaning to the rear tire.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REALLY

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Trouble is, for the 15 inch fronts, it comes down to Kenda or Federal.
    Well then I better tell my " Toyo's " they don't fit so they will have to leave ....................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike
    If I recall; you're running a tire that is not the same size as the OEM.
    I mentioned that the Solus is in a "workable" size, because the overall diameter is (I think!) within .1% of the OEM.
    I don't recall the size that you're running, but if you post it again; I'll crunch some numbers...