Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default FEDERAL EVO 595 TIRES

I was wondering if anyone could comment about the Federal Evo 595 tires for the front tires on the Spyder. I currently have 23,000 miles on my OEM Kendas with no problems and should be able to get another 5000 miles out of them. But I have read some disturbing posts regarding defective Kenda tires that needed to be replaced due to balance issues, uneven wear, etc. If I replace with Kendas again I don't know if I will be happy or will be unlucky and get some defective tires? My dealer has no problems with installing aftermarket tires.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Car tires are usually much more cheaper, durable and longer lasting than Kenda, but you seem to be doing great with them. Car tires are excess of what the Spyder needs compared to the weight and forces a car has, you may not even notice a flat or low pressure. Just beware of getting to cheap/hard compound of a tire, it could be much more difficult to stop as quickly and the ABS will be quite busy. Falken was the brand I used up front, they have had some track and twisty time, look untouched and stick great.
    Last edited by AMTJIM; 08-11-2015 at 03:06 AM.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Since Federal and Kenda are the only available replacements for the 15" fronts we installed a pair of the Federals on Louise RT. She now has a few thousand miles on them and they ride smooth and balanced with very little weight when installed. I was not keen on the chinese Federal brand but they were a significant step up from the crappy Kendas.

Her OEM Kendas were separating and would no longer balance at 8000 miles. I was not interested in a repeat performance.

I do wish there was a top tier tire available for the 15" front size but guess its too small a market.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    Car tires are usually much more cheaper, durable and longer lasting than Kenda, but you seem to be doing great with them.

You've had no trouble with the OEM tires; why not continue to use them?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

if you are a gambling man.... use the OEM's again... maybe you will be lucky again... maybe NOT.... Kenda's have a reputation for being crappy...

osm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    if you are a gambling man.... use the OEM's again... maybe you will be lucky again... maybe NOT.... Kenda's have a reputation for being crappy...

osm
    Go to any Goldwing forum and tell them you put a set of Kenda tires on your GL1800. THAT WOULD BE HILARIOUS!
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

I had over 43000 miles on my 2012 front OEM Kenda tires so was pretty pleased with them. However, less than 8000 miles on my 2014 RTL resulted in both front tires looking like they belonged in a junk yard. My dealer replaced them with Federal EVOS and I have 28000+ on them now with very little sign of wear.. Pretty certain I will get over 40000 plus I am extremely pleased with handling and traction.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    Go to any Goldwing forum and tell them you put a set of Kenda tires on your GL1800. THAT WOULD BE HILARIOUS!
    well, since I don't presently own a GL1800 ... I will refrain..

osm