Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: helmets

Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

Default helmets

Hey I know this is mostly a personal thing but what is everyone wearing for helmets while riding a spyder. I am thinking a half helmet but i still want to look kool

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

i wear a shoei RF 1000 full face light and comfortable
    but a little pricey.

Spyder Garage

Caberg Justisimo, flip front. So I can have it full face or jet style depending on the mood and weather.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Scorpion EXO 400 full face for me!
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet

I have a Akuma Ghostrider, full face.
    Cal Sci XL Windscreen; Widow Highway Pegs; Mirror Extenders; 1" handlebar riser; Hindle exhaust; Corbin Seat, Givi top case, Street Magic HID headlights, 12v power thingy in trunk, NMN Triple Play, Tom Tom Rider 2 GPS, Corbin rear fender, so far
    and A Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Forget looking cool...save your noggin' first! After a crash a few years back that knocked me unconscious for several hours, even with a full face helmet, I will wear nothing else at speed. My current favorite is a Scorpion EXO700 and my wife just bought a new Arai...just like Jay Leno. Get something that fits you right, and protects you well. You can look cool standing beside your Spyder at the drive-in after you park it, answering all the questions.
    -Scotty

Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

Whats the ARai like Jay I would love to be a kool as the Leno Man

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Forget looking cool...save your noggin' first! After a crash a few years back that knocked me unconscious for several hours, even with a full face helmet, I will wear nothing else at speed. My current favorite is a Scorpion EXO700 and my wife just bought a new Arai...just like Jay Leno. Get something that fits you right, and protects you well. You can look cool standing beside your Spyder at the drive-in after you park it, answering all the questions.
    -Scotty

great answer! I only wear a full faced helmet too....hjc for me......i can envision sliding down the road on my face with a half helment on and the pavement eating my face....also worry about the flip kind coming open or breaking..... i might not be real pretty, but id like to keep what i have )

Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

wow I just got on the Arai Web site. Attn. Mr Leno If you ever have a used one you want to threw away please send my way xxxlarge anyway. I know I spent alot on the Spyder but I am that is a lot for helmets.. Guess I will stick with my 69 dollar cheapies.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderjim View Post
    wow I just got on the Arai Web site. Attn. Mr Leno If you ever have a used one you want to threw away please send my way xxxlarge anyway. I know I spent alot on the Spyder but I am that is a lot for helmets.. Guess I will stick with my 69 dollar cheapies.

So what your saying is you put a price on your head? Me personally i would pay whatever was necesary for a helmet that protects to the max and fits me perfectly. Afterall you only have 1 head you can always make more money. Well that is unless you don't have a head lol
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

Yep I have to cheap out now my wife still thinks the spyder was 6995 lol just kidding I would never keep the truth from her they always find out in the end

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Full face HJC. DOT and Snell approved and a real value. The helmet you choose needs to fit comfortably and each maker has a different idea on how our heads are shaped so try several before you buy. It's not just about protecting your head, but your face. Slow speed dismount landing on your face will send you to the dentist and plastic surgeon with half or 3/4 cover.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

to what scotty said thats one thing not to be cheap about. You buy a cheap helmet and you may not be around to tell anybody about how cool the spyder is.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zzneonzz View Post
    So what your saying is you put a price on your head? Me personally i would pay whatever was necesary for a helmet that protects to the max and fits me perfectly. Afterall you only have 1 head you can always make more money. Well that is unless you don't have a head lol
    Actually if a helmet meets the dot standards than it should protect you adequately in an accident. I read an article on a test that was done on helmets in one of the cycle magazines I subscribe to a year or so ago and their testing showed that $85 Z1R helmets survived impacts just as well as the higher end name brands.

With that being said there are other factors I consider as well such as, fit, comfort, and noise.
    "I'm the only hell my mama ever raised"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Forget looking cool...save your noggin' first! After a crash a few years back... -Scotty

Did I say I agree?

Two majors here... crushed knee and broken pelvis. Both times, the head and/or face took the first blow. See below for definition of "ata".

In 1987 (knee), a DOT-only Bell saved my noggin. In 2002 (pelvis), a DOT-only Nolan was sacrificed.

Last edited by ataDude; 01-31-2009 at 09:04 PM.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have both a scorpion and a caberg flip-up with the sun visor.

Spyder Garage

H J C full face modular here. GREAT HELMET !!!!!!!!!

Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

Does all this mean Mr leno is not donating his used one to me. Darn Well at least I have the same kool Spyder.. thanks to you all

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderjim View Post
    Does all this mean Mr leno is not donating his used one to me. Darn Well at least I have the same kool Spyder.. thanks to you all

The thing I remember from the Leno bit about the Arai helmets is that he has been wearing the wrong size helmet for years. He stated he was wearing an XL or XXL and, for the video bit, Arai fit him in a Large and they thought he might be going to a Medium. It wasn't so much about the Arai helmet as it was about getting the proper size in a helmet.

Anyways, I have a Scorpion EXO 400 and like it but I might be changing to a Shoei RF1000 this year if funds allow.

Spyder Garage

The fit was exactly the reason for Nancy's decision to buy an Arai. It took several years of looking to find a helmet that fit her the first time. Didn't have much better luck this time, and it looked like another long haul. Arai is the master of fit. If you are easy to fit, buy anything that is approved. Arai makes three different shapes, and has different sizes of cheek pads to fine tune the fit there. After striking out with every other major brand, the Arai folks fit Nancy perfectly in about 15 minutes. Expensive, yes, by today's standards. My first Bell helmet in the early sixties cost me over $100, though. An Arai can't possibly be more in today's dollars. Remember, in a helmet, fit is everything. Even if you don't buy an Arai, read their article on helmet fit on their Web site...before you go anywhere to try helmets on.
    -Scotty

Registered Users Jeff in Dallas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have 3 that I rotate between - a Shoei Multitec, a Harley carbon fiber 3/4 and a Harley 1/2. I wear the 3/4 most of the time because it is the most comfortable - it's very light.

I have several others that rarely get used.

Take your time and try many options. You'll be surprised at how different they are. Find the one that's the most comfortable. And, you can protect your noggin and look cool!

Spyder Garage

I love my HJC Carbon Fiber Vador. It is so light. My first helmet I bought because I loved the "look" of it and I didn't try on that many and I was worried about spending too much. I was getting a horrible pain in the neck, literally. So I started looking at helmet weight as well as fit. I went to the local cycle shop and tried on various helmets and the HJC Carbon Fiber was a nice fit and so much lighter than my old Gmax28. But it was almost $500 and I just know I couldn't go there. So I went in search on line. I found my helmet for around $300 which was a steal. You can't find that anymore for the same helmet. Anyway, no more pain in the neck.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    ... Anyway, no more pain in the neck.
    What about bjt?

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    What about bjt?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    What about bjt?

And that is all I am gonna say....
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.