Spyder Garage

Default Want a driver back rest for my 2014 Can-Am RT-S SE6

We were out with friends today who had a Stock can-am backrest being returned, wrong style ordered. We tried it on my 2014 Can-Am RT-S SE6 so I could see how it felt. We removed the plug in the seat and slid it in, but it never fastened into anything to hold it.
    I keep reading "just slide it in and it clicks into place"
    Is the stock spyder suppose to be ready to hold the back rest, or is there something in the kit that makes it hold the back rest in place?

thanks

Spyder Garage

Default seat

There is a quick release bracket that mounts to the underside of the set that has to be installed. I think you have to to buy it separate, but I am not 100% sure on that as I had mine installed as a deal when I bought my bike. But you just raise the seat and pull a release and it comes right off.

Spyder Garage

When you buy the backrest it is a kit. In the kit backrest, bracket,screws,and instructions.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NOT REALLY

The optional OEM backrest has a bottom bracket that you must attach to the seat pan underneath the seat.......Then the Backrest part will do just what you said. If you only have the Backrest you are out of luck because BRP has a policy of not selling separate parts.......I highly recommend getting the UTOPIA anyway it's more comfortable because it's five way adjustable.........JMHO....Mike

Spyder Garage

The optional OEM backrest has a bottom bracket that you must attach to the seat pan underneath the seat.......Then the Backrest part will do just what you said. If you only have the Backrest you are out of luck because BRP has a policy of not selling separate parts.......I highly recommend getting the UTOPIA anyway it's more comfortable because it's five way adjustable.........JMHO....Mike

I did look at the Utopia and liked the adjustability, I would like to push forward a bit. Have you installed one?
    -- seems scary cutting up parts of the spyder. Are the instructions they provide complete and good?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default UTOPIA BACKREST

Quote Originally Posted by ABCtriker View Post

I did look at the Utopia and liked the adjustability, I would like to push forward a bit. Have you installed one?
    -- seems scary cutting up parts of the spyder. Are the instructions they provide complete and good?
    Yes on the instructions......and I have installed three, and all the bases were homemade.......My last one for my 2014 RT was an upper part bought on E-bay ( the tops are pretty much the same ) and the base I made from flat stock.........The only cutting you need to do is on the re-moveable PLUG COVER on the seat, so you can put the metal slider into the sleeve........." beadaholic " just posted some PICS of Her seat with How it's done ( she has a 2014 RT ).........Mike ...................PS, the Utopia comes with all the parts necessary to mount it to the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Cool Utopia

The utopia. Is easy to install you just need cut the plug out and cut a slit in the foam
    Then it screws in to the underside of the seat to the existing holes no drilling required .

Leon
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ." beadaholic " just posted some PICS of Her seat with How it's done ( she has a 2014 RT ).........Mike ...................PS, the Utopia comes with all the parts necessary to mount it to the Spyder.
    It was super easy to do and I can be a dope at times, it took us all of about 30 minutes to do it, carefully and slowly so we didn't make a mistake. I translated the instructions and one of my guys here did the job hehe, he has never done stuff like this before and really it was a piece of cake! I like the Utopia Backrest too, it really is supportive and has changed my posture to a much better one, instead of me being like hunched over the bike now I sit up straight. It took about 3 rides for me to get used to it.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT SM6 with 400 miles 5/2015, 1800 8/5/2015, 3000 8/30/2015
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers