Thread: Fuel light

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel light

Just wondering how many extra k"s, Or miles you get after the fuel light comes on.......apparently my tank takes 25 litres , I just filled up because the fuel light came on, says to stop after first click, I hate how you can't see the fuel level, it stopped at 16 litres (first click) so I thought has to be able to fit more in, so I did anyway.

2009 RS SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

I know there is a gal+ when the light goes on so to be safe I figure I can get 33 miles. Thats what I normally get on average 33 mpg. So figure how many kpl you get and that time around four should be a safe range...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Regardless of 'how many' miles you might be able to get out of the fuel remaining in the tank once the fuel light comes on, you still want to fuel up as soon as you can!!

Because the Fuel Pumps on these things use the fuel in the tank as both coolant and lubricant, drain the tank or go too far once the fuel light comes on too often and you'll probably kill the fuel pump & possibly more!! And every time you get much beyond that low fuel warning light, you will be reducing the ability of the remaining fuel to disappate heat at the same time as concentrating any contaminants in the fuel, and that means you're damaging the fuel pump slowly but surely every time you do!!

It's probably best to think about re-fueling as soon after the gauge gets down to about 1/4, and use the low fuel warning light as a 'this is REALLY your last warning, re-fuel NOW or risk damage!'

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Call me a coward, but I look for a gas station when I get near 1/4 tank. I do this in the car, as well. Not interested in pushing to the limit and being stranded.
    By the way, if you are a member of AMA ( American Motorcyclist Association) you get road service including bringing fuel. It is free if you do automatic renewal.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Normally my gas mileage is 6.9 L/100 kms, 34 mpg (us gallon). When my fuel light comes on steady. I figure I will be out of fuel in 90 kms. But they are all a little different. Your fuel mileage varies. Each fuel gage is a little different.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Fuel capacity was some what of a complaint once these things started being ridden, people started carrying some of those slim, durable plastic fuel cans like they mount of Jeeps, quads and side x sides...just in case.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I know the last time I ignored the low fuel light, I got 1 mile from my destination (gas station). I don't know how many miles I rode, but I sure know how far I walked. Best to fill up before that light comes on!
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 109spyder View Post
    Just wondering how many extra k"s, Or miles you get after the fuel light comes on.......apparently my tank takes 25 litres , I just filled up because the fuel light came on, says to stop after first click, I hate how you can't see the fuel level, it stopped at 16 litres (first click) so I thought has to be able to fit more in, so I did anyway.

2009 RS SE5
    There's a lot more that goes into the calculation of how long the gas will last. The first half of the of gas will get more than the second half of a tank, the temperature of the gas, and so on. Here in Georgia, USA. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. In the winter I stop for gas at 2 bars and summer 3 bars. I have not run out of gas yet using this method.

Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

One comment I made to a BRP rep on a follow up survey call was that I thought the low fuel light could be brighter...hard to see in the Florida sunshine...I have ran out and thank goodness for Roadside Service...BTW, hasn't happened again, I now refuel on two bars...lol.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk