Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Switching from Harley to Spyder

Have been riding a Harley for a few years and have been thinking about making the switch to a Spyder. Has anyone else done the switch and what was the difference.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigTone9684 View Post
    Have been riding a Harley for a few years and have been thinking about making the switch to a Spyder. Has anyone else done the switch and what was the difference.
    What kind of Harley ? A trike or a two wheel (and which one) Can't really answer your question without that info. Lots of us have ridden Harleys during our lifetime of motorcycles

Spyder Garage

I switched from a Heritage Softail Classic to a 2011 Spyder RS. The Spyder is so much better it's not even funny. It's so much more fun and comfortable. Not to mention it's much quicker and I love the handling. I also come from an ATV background so the Spyder seems more like a quad to me. If you've only ridden motorcycles, it will be an adjustment but well worth it. IMO.....
    2020 CAN-AM Spyder F3-S Special Series (sold)

2022 CAN-AM Ryker Rally 900

Spyder Garage

2010 ElectraGlide Classic to 2011 RTS due to injury on the job !!! Just bought a 2015 RTS !! :-)
    If your talking TriGlide, I'd go Spyder 100%.

Tommy J.
    Last edited by fireplug98; 08-06-2015 at 10:33 PM.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

I switched June 10 from a 2012 RoadGlide Ultra to a RT Limited. I love the Spyder! It is a blast to ride and takes your mind off the Harley image thing. I do what I want, and the Spyder is the best decision I have made. I have been riding for 45 years with the last 7 on Harley's. I put about 85,000 miles on the two I had so I do ride lots. Go for it, you won't regret it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn't switch from a Harley, but I did switch from a Yamaha V-Star 1300T because my legs were having more and more of a problem holding the bike up after a long day riding, especially with my wife on the back. It was a hard decision after years of riding two wheels. Checked Harley trikes, Victory trikes, Honda trikes, and triking my V-Star. Settled on the Spyder because it was more stable and comfortable. Biggest difference is no longer leaning when going through turns. Takes awhile but it's worth it...to me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I currently ride an 2003 Wide Glide and I'm only 30 with no injuries so I have no reason other than the spyders look like a blast. But was just seeing how many people have done it and the feeling after the decision, but thanks for all the input so far.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have both. I like each one for different reasons and can't say I'd prefer one over amthe other. They are just so completely different machines. If you have the resources to have both I'd highly recommend it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 08-07-2015 at 05:54 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends what day it is

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I have both. I like each one for different reasons and can't say I'd prefer one over amthe other. They are just so completely different machines. If you have the resources to have both I'd highly recommend it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    i have two spyders and a custom fat boy, The fat boys sets in the back of my shop most of the time until I want to make some noise and shake rattle and roll. At 65 those days don't come often, in fact I'm thinking a two brother pipe on the F3 would b just fine. The 2011 R/T is for my wife and two up riding with distance in mind. Spyders are different but with time and instruction they are easy to enjoy and fulfill the need for speed.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My husband and I both switched in 2013. I went from an Electraglide Standard and my husband from a Road King Classic. Neither of us had any health issues. We had been riding Harleys for years and loved them. I saw the Spyder ST Limited and thought it was very cool. We went to test ride and took the ST and the RT out for a couple of hours. When we came back I made my deal. There was a little bit of anxiety for the first few hundred miles or so as the handling is so different, but we have each had a blast for the last 17000 + miles. I bought the ST Limited and he got the RT S.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Kind of like having the "Trophy Wife", AND a championship caliber hunting dog!

Seriously; The Spyder is very worthy of consideration, but the choice must be yours!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I switched from a 2011 Street Glide. Don't miss Harley at all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have ridden H/D since the mid-'80s. I have ridden nearly every style (the wife worked at a dealership and they were very good to us ) and I have to tell you, I really enjoy the Spyder. I initially got interested in a trike when another H/D riding friend said he bought a Triglide and was totally happy with the shift. The trike allows more relaxed riding. No more worrying about tar snakes, gravel, bovine exhaust, etc... Come to a stop light, you don't worry about putting your foot down in an oil patch, sand, pothole,... These situations are amplified if you have a passenger. You can both relax an d enjoy the ride. The one BIG down side is the dealership network and the maintenance. If you are near a "good" dealer that knows what they are doing, you have struck gold! In many cases, Can-Am dealers and mechs can be MILES apart. H/Ds can be fixed/serviced in about any town with a population over 200! (OK, that is a slight exaggeration, but you get my point!) I think you will be very happy with a trike! Good luck on your search!

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigTone9684 View Post
    I've never owned a Harley (never found any reason to buy one), but I did switch over to the Spyder from my latest 2 wheeler, the Victory Vision. The Vision is nearly 900 lbs. and my left side and back were giving me problems. The biggest difference for me is not having to put my feet down at stoplights, and not having to stand it up everytime I got on. Comfortwise, it's fairly similar. The 1330 CC engine is not as powerful as the 103 CI engine on the Vision, but it's adequate.

To accurately answer your question, we would need to know which Harley you have been riding.

Pam

Spyder Garage

I switched about 9 months ago. Owned 7 different Harley's over the last 30 years. Bad knees. I just didn't fill safe on two wheels.
    It has taking me about 3 months to get use to the Can-Am. I now fill safe ridding and enjoying it more after each ride.
    Their is a lot for help on this web-site for new riders.

Start slow and enjoy the ride.

Benny
    Justacruisin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a TRIGLIdE and switched to the Spyder.. Much better ride..like a Cadillac versus a truck.

The heat on the spyder is minimal compared to the Harley. The spyder is smooth riding compared to the TRIGLIDE. Etc..

Anyway Test ride both and make your own decision..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fireplug98 View Post
    2010 ElectraGlide Classic to 2011 RTS due to injury on the job !!! Just bought a 2015 RTS !! :-)
    If your talking TriGlide, I'd go Spyder 100%.

Tommy J.
    Way to go Tommy I assume you had them switch your muffler
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zapps186 View Post
    I switched June 10 from a 2012 RoadGlide Ultra to a RT Limited. I love the Spyder! It is a blast to ride and takes your mind off the Harley image thing. I do what I want, and the Spyder is the best decision I have made. I have been riding for 45 years with the last 7 on Harley's. I put about 85,000 miles on the two I had so I do ride lots. Go for it, you won't regret it.
    We could be twins!

I went from a 2011 Road Glide Ultra to a 2014 RT Limited

46 years riding

Last 11 years on Harleys before the RT and 181,000 combined miles on the two.

To the OP,

No regrets on switching. As others have stated there is a learning curve as they are completely different, but once you have it down a blast to ride and far more comfortable.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I had my Harley Davidson Ultra.. I thought I would never see the day when I would find someone charging more for their parts/service
    U-N-T-I-L ------ I bought a Spyder...

osm

Spyder Garage

I switched from a 2008 Harley ULtra Classic to a 2013 RTS Spyder. I can honestly say I don't miss the Harley at all. The Spyder is so much more fun to drive, and my wife loves it too. If you switch, you won't be disappointed.

Spyder Garage

Default have both

I have a 2014 Road King and a 2014 RT-S. Bought the HD in March and the RTS in June. for awhile I was switching back and forth. HD now has 631 miles and the RTS has 8900. HD is good for short rides (< 50 miles) sounds great, and looks classy. But the RT-S is much more comfortable, had real storage, and better gas mileage.

Now I am looking to sell the HD because its sitting in a storage locker gathering dust.

Although, sometimes I do miss cutting n curving...

ps. my wife is stressing less now that I am on 3 wheels as opposed to 2. For some strange reason (laid the HD over 4 times) she thinks I am unsafe on 2 wheels. LOL go figure.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Default You will change

I left a beautiful Moto Guzzi for the SPyder.

One thing I've noticed is, I was a cool guy to other bikers with a Guzzi, but now I suck. I rarely bother to wave, as most ignore me when I do. HD folks are the worst about it. Just so you know. Now, when a Spyder rider sees me... whole different story.

Some will say who cares... but just so you know. Though your mileage may vary!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I didn't have or ride a Harley but did a Goldwing GL1800 for 8 years and 52,000 miles. Bought the RT in Nov 2013 and sold the 'wing in March 2014. I can truly say that being free of the apprehension of tipping over has really re-instilled the joy of riding.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just one more question....I've read and people say if you're use to manual shift on a motorcycle you should do the same if you buy the Spyder, what is your opinion auto or manual shift?