Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Park brake not engaging

My girlfriend has a 2010 RT this past weekend the park brake failed to engage. we just got into Spyders and I want o learn about them. I am very hands on we have a family owned body shop have tools work space just need knowledge. What do I check beside fuses and relays tonight i'm going to check fuses and relays.
    Thanks Tony

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONY PALELLA View Post
    My girlfriend has a 2010 RT this past weekend the park brake failed to engage. we just got into Spyders and I want o learn about them. I am very hands on we have a family owned body shop have tools work space just need knowledge. What do I check beside fuses and relays tonight i'm going to check fuses and relays.
    Thanks Tony

The brake cable may have slipped off the pulley. A problem that has cropped up before. Usually an easy fix for the mechanical. That is not me, so will wait to hear from them who are, about the best way to fix.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I was going to take a guess... I'd say that the cable has slipped off of it's intended routing!
    Go to the back brake. (Rear of the bike: right hand side...)
    You'll see the cabling that wraps around a (sort of) hub on the outer portion of the assembly. Follow that forward, and make sure that it wraps around everything that it should. If it doesn't; you'll recognize it immediately!
    Good Luck, and Happy Hunting!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default replay

thanks for info ill look at it

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what you do..!!

pull the right center panel. You will see where the cable comes from the back brake to a black wheel. At that point if you push the park brake you will see the wheel rotate. There is a knotch where the cable goes so hook it back in. Some have made a small "L" bracket with a hole in one end and screwed it in just above the wheel where the knotch is to keep this from happening. If properly adjusted you should not have a problem...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    pull the right center panel. You will see where the cable comes from the back brake to a black wheel. At that point if you push the park brake you will see the wheel rotate. There is a knotch where the cable goes so hook it back in. Some have made a small "L" bracket with a hole in one end and screwed it in just above the wheel where the knotch is to keep this from happening. If properly adjusted you should not have a problem...
    The "L" bracket thing I put over the top edge of the pulley has worked VERY well since 2010 on my RT. Easy fix and inexpensive. Hardest part I had was getting the side panel off and BACK ON without loosing any bolts or screws!!!

Spyder Garage

Another odd possibility, assuming the cables and other mechanical parts are in working order...being that it is a 2010, the battery may be dieing.

My wife's 2011 battery was dieing and her parking brake would not engage (among othe odd electrical gremlins). We swapped out the battery and the brake went on no problem and the other issues cleared up. These machines are fairly sensitive to battery conditions.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default PARK BRAKE

The problem was cable came off of the front spool. I took off the side cover as suggested. I put cable back on all is good. We went on a trip to upper UP Michigan. I was checking thing out. I pushed on spool in back and made the front come off.it took me about half hour to repair. next time I have side cover off I'm going to make a lock for cable.
    Thanks for the help!!
    Tony

Spyder Garage

Glad it was an easy fix and that your back riding. Thanks with getting back with the forum and letting us know that your fixed. So many never post back on what the final outcome was.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post

Thanks
    Tony

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Glad it was an easy fix and that your back riding. Thanks with getting back with the forum and letting us know that your fixed. So many never post back on what the final outcome was.

Thanks EX
    Tony

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear it was an easy fix for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONY PALELLA View Post
    The problem was cable came off of the front spool. I took off the side cover as suggested. I put cable back on all is good. We went on a trip to upper UP Michigan. I was checking thing out. I pushed on spool in back and made the front come off.it took me about half hour to repair. next time I have side cover off I'm going to make a lock for cable.
    Thanks for the help!!
    Tony
    Need to check the rear pads for wear. Mine came a couple of times until I replaced the rear pads.
    Jim