Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question OMG Really ?

I have a simple suggestion for those who would prefer no nanny. Get a Harley. Please push it to the point that one tire comes off the road and report back to us after you get out of the hospital. For the rest, simply ride like your life depends on it and be thankful when the amazing engineering that produced the nanny saves your ass when you find your limit. Personally, I just ride like I have some freaking sense and have faith in my heart that if I do push it way too hard that mama nanny will save my bacon, give me something to be thankful for, and take me safely home. This is all while I listen to XM radio through the speakers in my helmet and wave at all the crotch "Rocketeers" as they pass me on the "Snake".

I do have to confess that I have upgraded to the Fox shocks and Baha Ron's big, beefy anti-sway bar. The stock shocks and anti-sway bar didn't inspire confidence in myself or the RT. Way too much body roll stock.

Finally, yes I have found the nanny and she and I get along fine. Really fine.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CSI View Post
    The Can Am is my wife's, but I have ridden it a few times.....I was genuinely surprised by how much effort it takes to hustle one of these things thru a corner. Crank like hell on the bars, only to have it heel over to the side, feeling like it is about to tip over.....not very confidence inspiring, to say the least.
    I have to admit my first reaction when I read your comment is, "What do you expect it to do, anyway?" I'm sure you've experienced the same thing I did when I had my Goldwing GL1800. In every curve there is a "sweet spot" of bank, sharpness of the curve, speed, and bike lean, where the two wheel bike will literally take itself around the curve with no force whatever applied to the handlebar. That's why two wheelers don't need power steering, because it takes almost no power to turn. You physically cannot have the same response with either 3 or 4 wheels since there is no lean of the bike body and gyroscopic force does not come into play.

The Spyder turns like an ATV, not a two wheeler, and it wants to track straight ahead, just like a car. That's why you have to apply force to the handlebars to make a turn. It does have power steering to assist you while turning the handlebar. But once you have stopped the motion of moving the handlebar the power assist backs off while you hold the bar steady. The force or pull you feel while going around the curve is the Spyder wanting to return the front wheels back to straight ahead.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    I have to admit my first reaction when I read your comment is, "What do you expect it to do, anyway?" I'm sure you've experienced the same thing I did when I had my Goldwing GL1800. In every curve there is a "sweet spot" of bank, sharpness of the curve, speed, and bike lean, where the two wheel bike will literally take itself around the curve with no force whatever applied to the handlebar. That's why two wheelers don't need power steering, because it takes almost no power to turn. You physically cannot have the same response with either 3 or 4 wheels since there is no lean of the bike body and gyroscopic force does not come into play.

The Spyder turns like an ATV, not a two wheeler, and it wants to track straight ahead, just like a car. That's why you have to apply force to the handlebars to make a turn. It does have power steering to assist you while turning the handlebar. But once you have stopped the motion of moving the handlebar the power assist backs off while you hold the bar steady. The force or pull you feel while going around the curve is the Spyder wanting to return the front wheels back to straight ahead.

Thank you for the intelligent response!!

Currently I ride an FJR1300...prior to that I had a Wing....so like you, all of my experience was on two wheels. We DID have a quad for a few years, so I am familiar with those also....but the street riding on the quad was limited, and quite frankly? A quad is WAY to twitchy to ride at speed on the blacktop.

As I rarely ride it, the cornering characteristics don't really concern me.......my questions are more intended to provide me with some tips I can pass along to the wife.

Spyder Garage

As many have indicated, cornering on the Spyder is getting easier with practice. But my attitude toward the computer has not changed. I've chosen to spend my life racing fast cars, jumping out of planes, sailing boats under black clouds in high winds and riding motorcycles all without reliance on computers ...until the last few years. How did I possibly make it to the age of 70 without a computer telling me what to do in these risky sports? Mainly by using my God given brain and practice.

I liked that I had to learn to double clutch to sync the engine to the transmission to go from 5th to 2nd gear at the end of the straight rather than have a computer do it for us like the modern race cars do. Where's the skill in that? I spent a lot of track time learning the old skills.

So if you like and want the nanny...great! But don't give me a hard time if I don't. And especially don't make me use a computer that will not let me start my machine just because it's having a bad day. Every late model vehicle and heavy equipment that I own has had a costly computer repair. Stupid! Why should a backhoe have a computer that costs $2700 to repair. Stupid! My 1974 Case Dozer always starts and works. So let me control the Spyder when it needs it...I know how to do that! And if I don't...so be it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Dave,
    If you don't want a hard time over your dislike of "Nanny"; don't make such a big deal out of her. Until you figure out how to rip her out of the system; she's gonna be there... watching you!

Enjoy the music, and sing along!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SailnDive View Post
    As many have indicated, cornering on the Spyder is getting easier with practice. But my attitude toward the computer has not changed. I've chosen to spend my life racing fast cars, jumping out of planes, sailing boats under black clouds in high winds and riding motorcycles all without reliance on computers ...until the last few years. How did I possibly make it to the age of 70 without a computer telling me what to do in these risky sports? Mainly by using my God given brain and practice.

I liked that I had to learn to double clutch to sync the engine to the transmission to go from 5th to 2nd gear at the end of the straight rather than have a computer do it for us like the modern race cars do. Where's the skill in that? I spent a lot of track time learning the old skills.

So if you like and want the nanny...great! But don't give me a hard time if I don't. And especially don't make me use a computer that will not let me start my machine just because it's having a bad day. Every late model vehicle and heavy equipment that I own has had a costly computer repair. Stupid! Why should a backhoe have a computer that costs $2700 to repair. Stupid! My 1974 Case Dozer always starts and works. So let me control the Spyder when it needs it...I know how to do that! And if I don't...so be it.
    Sigh. Never mind.

Oh, I take it you've never driven a modern race car with paddle shifts, have you? The skill is different than that in "the old days", but there's still a LOT of skill involved.

Anyway, good luck with your Spyder. Though, the way you carry on, I still don't know why you bought it.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yep, most modern motorcycles have computer controls. My 2010 Vulcan has ABS, my friend got a new KTM adventure bike in June and it has all kinds of computer controls even the suspension. Good luck with unhooking nanny, I think mine will stay hooked up.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    Sigh.

Anyway, good luck with your Spyder. Though, the way you carry on, I still don't know why you bought it.
    If I had known of all of the computer control and DESS problems before hand, I may not have bought it. But that is simply because I did not find the bad press in time. I should have looked harder I suppose. Now that I've changed the sway bar and had a seat cushion made I really like riding the bike. I just hope the computer behaves.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Now that I've changed the sway bar and had a seat cushion made I really like riding the bike. I just hope the computer behaves.
    It will! In a few more weeks after you've really gotten acquainted with how it rides, and want to back track on some of your initial comments, we'll help you find a good recipe on how to fix crow for eating! Best of all, you'll still be part of a great group of Spyder lovers!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

If I had known of all of the computer control and DESS problems before hand, I may not have bought it. But that is simply because I did not find the bad press in time. I should have looked harder I suppose. Now that I've changed the sway bar and had a seat cushion made I really like riding the bike. I just hope the computer behaves.
    Well, as much as you've wanted to get rid of it, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned on you somewhere down the line...

Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

.........or saved you from a nasty crash someday.......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    Well, as much as you've wanted to get rid of it, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned on you somewhere down the line...

Nothing you can say will change my mind about computers in vehicles and equipment. I really like riding the Spyder AND my John Deere 110 backhoe. But I hate their expensive and unreliable computers. End of this coversation please?

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

When I walk, go up Ladders or Jam with the music my computer brain usually works[emoji41]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dlby View Post
    When I walk, go up Ladders or Jam with the music my computer brain usually works[emoji41]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk
    Exactly! And the brain also does a good job of dealing with problems that require fast and correct actions...especially if the brain is well practiced. After years of such practice...I have a really hard time turning these decisions over to a machine that is proven to fail on occasions. But some brains are not well practiced and the Nanny may be good for them. Which is why I say "to each their own" and leave me alone! Notice that I do not make disparaging remarks about those that disagree with me. Some on here should adopt the same habit!

Spyder Garage

Exactly! And the brain also does a good job of dealing with problems that require fast and correct actions...especially if the brain is well practiced. After years of such practice...I have a really hard time turning these decisions over to a machine that is proven to fail on occasions. But some brains are not well practiced and the Nanny may be good for them. Which is why I say "to each their own" and leave me alone! Notice that I do not make disparaging remarks about those that disagree with me. Some on here should adopt the same habit!
    Why don't you just engineer a way to turn it off. You seem like a person who can do anything..... jump out of airplanes, exchange parachutes with other skydivers in midair, build your own racecars. Not sure what else you have done that you haven't bragged about yet. If I were you and had all those talents, I would have just disabled the nanny by now.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A couple of times, I have asked you how many miles you have logged, and haven't received an answer.
    Are you willing to engage on that issue yet?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-26-2015 at 09:58 AM.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Dave,
    If you don't want a hard time over your dislike of "Nanny"; don't make such a big deal out of her. Until you figure out how to rip her out of the system; she's gonna be there... watching you!

Enjoy the music, and sing along!

Loves me Some Joe Walsh! Nice Bob, and appropriate for the OP!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always thought that his music was unusual enough for me... that it was perfect!

Spyder Garage

I always thought that his music was unusual enough for me... that it was perfect!

Joe Walsh and Jeff Lynne on stage together. Doesn't get much better than that!

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You have one very fine ear...

Spyder Garage

You have one very fine ear...
    Well maybe not so much my ear....... Joe Walsh introduced Jeff Lynne at the beginning of the video

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was actually referring to your taste in music...

Spyder Garage

I was actually referring to your taste in music...
    Ah yes. Thank you

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default The ZZeagles

Gotta go one better:

White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.