Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

So I guess it's normal for the motor to cough and splutter when on two wheels going around a
    Roundabout?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SailnDive View Post
    I've only got 800 miles on the bike and it is getting easier all the time. But the old grey mare (and reflexes ) ain't what they used to be. Lots of good folks giving good advice here. This bike does take some time to get it right.
    Yes, it takes some time to get used to. I started feeling comfortable after 1000 miles or so...and that after many, many years on two wheelers. Give it time.

And I really don't know why you'd want to shut down the nanny. That's one of the things that keeps something that big and heavy safe.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 109spyder View Post
    So I guess it's normal for the motor to cough and splutter when on two wheels going around a
    Roundabout?
    Only if you are on 2 wheels cos you are trying to feed in too much throttle; haven't pressed hard enough on the outside foot or transferred enough upper bodyweight over to centre above the inside foot peg/board; &/or if you are just trying to feed steering to the wheels too much too quickly...

Any one of those or all three can make the nanny try to 'keep you safe & with the rubber side down' by cutting power when that inside wheel gets light & starts to lift a little, but if you can get the balance of power, steering, & weight transfer right & hold that balance in the sweet spot as you make the turn, you'll probably be able to carve thru the roundabout a helluva lot faster... even if it is with, or possibly even without the inside wheel lifted!!

Ease off a little until you can 'feel' the balance point of all the control inputs & how they effect the 'lift' of that inside wheel, & then work on identifying which of those inputs mentioned above you can improve on to let you carve the turn better; then spend some time practicing & improving your Spyder Ryding skills (IMO they are different to 2 wheel skills & race car driving skills, but are also sort of a mix of those skills too!) The nanny will let you drift the rear around a corner/roundabout at speed if you get the balance right, but the moment things start to get untidy, she'll either brake one or more wheels or cut power to the drive wheel... or possibly do both/all!!

Spyders really are unique that way, and IMHO they take far more skill & effort to get the absolute best from than either a car or a m/bike, but in doing so they can provide far more fun too - and if you don't want to work that hard they can also be a very easy & phenomenally gentle ryde too!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-06-2015 at 04:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

I've only got 800 miles on the bike and it is getting easier all the time. But the old grey mare (and reflexes ) ain't what they used to be. Lots of good folks giving good advice here. This bike does take some time to get it right.

You say you're and "old grey mare" and your reflexes aren't "what they used to be"? And you want to disconnect the nanny. Go ahead! If you haven't learned anything in 70 years, we can't teach you anything anyway.

2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclekid58 View Post
    One suggestion is to take a 3 wheel course, ours was geared to the spyder and the instructor rode one and pushed us through the course hard enough for nanny to kick in, and the anti-lock brakes just to begin to activate. After riding 2 wheels for many years, I too was nervous in the beginning on 3 wheels, that course helped me immensly to feel just what the bike would do and it's capabilities. In many areas it's mandatory, in Idaho it's only suggested but everyone that took it has learned a lot. [emoji106]
    Completely agree. I was fortunate enough to have a 3WMC class offered within the first month of owning my RTS. Ryding it the almost 700 miles round-trip and participating in the class was probably the best thing I could have ever done. I pushed it hard during the class so I could purposefully, yet safely, wake up Nanny. I learned a great deal about my bike in that class and on that trip. I highly recommend everyone taking it!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    When I first got my Spyder one of the first things I did was to take it over to a BIG parking lot with no cars. I then proceeded to accelerate hard and make a hard right or left turn. It took a little while, but eventually I was getting 12-18" of wheel lift off the ground and then the nanny would kick in. This allowed me to learn the parameters of what it would control. I tried hard braking and also hard braking in turns. I think the nanny is outstanding watching over us, but in braking turns she does the best. Combining the yaw sensor (stability control) and the ABS (anti-lock) brakes she monitors and lets you ride up right to the point of loosing control, then takes over.

Learn her ways and you will see she is a guardian angel for us.
    This, X100. Don't know what the Nanny feels like? Ride in an ever-tightening circle in an empty parking lot until it engages; you'll be in a safe environment for it. You don't need to go fast-- 15-20 mph is *plenty* to get it to kick in. It'll feel weird the first few times, but eventually you'll appreciate what it feels like, and how to react.

Out on the road, take a sharp corner fast enough, you'll experience the same feeling. I find that letting off the gas a bit and straightening out the bars is enough to settle the Spyder down and continue on your way. Meaning, don't FIGHT the Nanny-- adding more throttle or pushing the handlebar harder when it engages *won't* make it stop; precisely the opposite. At best, you'll become one of those riders on the forum who swears the Nanny is evil, when in fact she's just misunderstood; at worst, you'll risk an unnecessary accident. A relaxed grip on the bars and throttle, a zen attitude, and you can "surf" the road on a Spyder (knowing where your motive "track" is also helps-- a reverse trike likes to take a different line than a car or bike, especially when the Nanny is cutting out power at one of your wheels).

Bottom line: with practice, the Nanny is no problem at all. In time, you'll learn to read the roads you ride and know how your Spyder can handle them. Shoot, you should have seen me at the Dragon a few years back-- riding around those corners with the Nanny chirping, my Spyder felt like a pinball bouncing at the sides of the machine. It didn't slow me down a lick, because I know *when* my Nanny likes to kick in, so I'm prepared for when to let off the gas and kick out the rear wheel a bit.

Best of all? Practicing riding a Spyder is fun!
    Last edited by daveinva; 08-05-2015 at 11:10 PM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

At 800 miles, I was still slowing below the marked speed for most curves and still feeling uncomfortable. It just takes time for your neurons to adapt to the different sensations. I have a bit over 3,000 miles on my RT now and the fun factor just keeps growing.

Lots of good suggestions have been given. The one that helped me the most is pressing down on the outside peg/board. But the real key is just time in the saddle. Relax and just ride. Your skill and comfort will just naturally increase.

Spyder Garage

As a nubi i find it easier to accelerate into a curve with either pushing the opposite hand or pulluing on the side of the curve while leaning in and having knees push in against tank. I only run into trouble if i dont move my haead around the curve

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup! I do just about the same thing...
    Weight the outside floorboard, and bring my knees in against the tank.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post

You say you're and "old grey mare" and your reflexes aren't "what they used to be"? And you want to disconnect the nanny. Go ahead! If you haven't learned anything in 70 years, we can't teach you anything anyway.

For sure I could not wheel thru logging roads in rallies at night or run motokannas or open races with the same skill as I did when I was 30. But the hours that I've spent, with a lot of sideways motoring, gives me a leg up on those that have never experienced a controlled hand brake turn or front end throw. We used to run timed events on a dirt track that was really designed for motorbike racing and we were sideways almost the entire way around that half mile track. Do enough laps around that track and your "out of control" feeling soon becomes "in control" but sideways. When I get to that skill level with the Spyder...I'd rather be in control than the Nanny. When I jumped off of the 800' New River Bridge, where it is 8 seconds from, leave the platform to impact with the river, I really wanted to be in control...Not a computer. But, different strokes for different folks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    My biggest fear when I am trying to ride quickly through the twisties is taking a tight turn at a good clip and finding an oncoming car in MY lane.
    Sounds like you'd feel right at home out here in NV

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Air pressure is important. Put 25 in front tires (30 in rear) and see how it goes....too firm, let 2# out and try again...you will find your sweet spot. Mine is 25 on Mr. Cognac....it was 22 on Big Red 1, my 2011 RT-S. Try it, you will like it.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Takes about 2500 milesfor me to getusedto it after 52 years on two wheels

But now its gravy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Youre getting great advice!

You are over thinking this situation! Just engage your common sense, read Doc's comments and ride the dam thing until you allow yourself to get comfortable.
    By the way; all of this is in the owners manual and the cd.

carl

Spyder Garage

Just lean out and toward the inside handlebar while powering thru the turn. Rear tire may slide a little bit that's when the fun begins.
    Never saw a hearse with a trailer hitch!

Spyder Garage

I am really surprised in the short amount of time (4wks) how quickly I have adapted to Spyder riding. Now, a corner isn't a corner unless I'm off the seat hanging down on the inside of Spydee as I power through the curve.
    www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Spyder Garage

Default Practice

You mention a racing background. I wonder if you have researched the training section of the owners manual or watched the video. I purchased a dozen 5" cones and went to an empty lot, as mentioned by another ryder, and familiarized myself with my GS well before hitting the road for a long period or attempting any cornering at high speeds.
    Like most things in life, there is a break in period and learning curve. Take it slow and the rewards will be worth it
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Reminds me of a song

For sure I could not wheel thru logging roads in rallies at night or run motokannas or open races with the same skill as I did when I was 30. But the hours that I've spent, with a lot of sideways motoring, gives me a leg up on those that have never experienced a controlled hand brake turn or front end throw. We used to run timed events on a dirt track that was really designed for motorbike racing and we were sideways almost the entire way around that half mile track. Do enough laps around that track and your "out of control" feeling soon becomes "in control" but sideways. When I get to that skill level with the Spyder...I'd rather be in control than the Nanny. When I jumped off of the 800' New River Bridge, where it is 8 seconds from, leave the platform to impact with the river, I really wanted to be in control...Not a computer. But, different strokes for different folks.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

After many decades and miles of riding snow machines the Spyder is an extension of that riding style. So, after reading all the above comments, on the way home this afternoon I will have to pay attention as to how I set myself up for the tight corners (curves). i have lifted the inside wheel but try to avoid it.

First snowmachine, 1969 Scorpion with a 340 Sachs OTD $900.00 I (we) had more fun on that $900.00 machine than all the rest of the toys we have owned.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 109spyder View Post
    I'm also knew to the spyder and corner thing, sure is a workout
    I took my wife for an hour ride and she woke up with sore back muscles just from leaning into the corners lol
    That has been my observation as well. For some reason, I thought these things had power assisted steering???

The Can Am is my wife's, but I have ridden it a few times.....I was genuinely surprised by how much effort it takes to hustle one of these things thru a corner. Crank like hell on the bars, only to have it heel over to the side, feeling like it is about to tip over.....not very confidence inspiring, to say the least.

Speaking of snow machines.....my first "big" one was a 72 Scorpion 440 Stinger.......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTJERRY View Post
    Just lean out and toward the inside handlebar while powering thru the turn. Rear tire may slide a little bit that's when the fun begins.

I read the thread and only saw a few commenting on this, but I think all Spyder riders do this - lean in on the inside turn. This eliminates the centrifcal sensation and lets you hold a line through the turn.
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CSI View Post
    That has been my observation as well. For some reason, I thought these things had power assisted steering???

The Can Am is my wife's, but I have ridden it a few times.....I was genuinely surprised by how much effort it takes to hustle one of these things thru a corner. Crank like hell on the bars, only to have it heel over to the side, feeling like it is about to tip over.....not very confidence inspiring, to say the least.

Speaking of snow machines.....my first "big" one was a 72 Scorpion 440 Stinger.......

I don't have these problems when cornering. Even when I first got my Spyder and started riding (no other experience prior), I have never had to man handle it to turn or corner. I don't pull my bars, instead I use the outside arm to push the bars and do the steering and lean my body to the inside and put pressure on the outside peg with my foot and sometimes press my inside leg to my tank, depending on speed. My arms, shoulders, or back have never been sore from riding.

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Crank like hell on the bars?
    Really?
    Then overcompensate & think your going to tip?

Fugitaboutit--
    Sounds like --
    Never mind
    Wont say it
    Oh well yes I will
    Better let The Wife Ride It
    You might tear it up

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dlby View Post
    Crank like hell on the bars?
    Really?
    Then overcompensate & think your going to tip?

Fugitaboutit--
    Sounds like --
    Never mind
    Wont say it
    Oh well yes I will
    Better let The Wife Ride It
    You might tear it up
    As I am still on two wheels, I don't need to ride a Can Am.

I was merely sharing my observation/opinion on the amount of effort it takes to turn one.

Spyder Garage

I'm still not completely at ease in the corners. The Baharon sway bar helped but I know that I'm still cornering at way below the potential of the bike. Most of the fear comes from not knowing what to expect when the speed is greater that what the tires to road friction can sustain. Will the rear tire slide or will the bike try to flip?

I drove a Mini Cooper S rally car for years so sideways motoring is not new or scary for me, and if I knew that the bike would slid then I could handle that with confidence. We had combined bike/car race events sometimes in Australia and we would watch the sidecar races in-between our car races...and it was common (likely) for those machines to flip. Not something that I want to experience!

I struggled with the first 100 miles, and then I realized I need to think about weight placement during a turn. Also, a push/pull action on the handlebar.

I think it has many similarities to a turn while snow skiing.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...76#post1005076

Go to a place that you can practice, as others have advised. Good luck!
    2015 RT Limited , black