Spyder Garage

Default 2nd thoughts on ATGATT

After hiking today, I thought about not gearing back up, and just wearing shorts, t-shirt, and low cut hiking shoes. Then I thought about the gentleman I worked with yesterday in rehab at the hospital.

A few Sundays ago he and his wife on his Harley, and two more bikers headed out for breakfast. He was leading and was hit by car coming from the opposite direction. He said that person had fallen asleep at the wheel. He (the Harley rider) sustained broken bones and a traumatic brain injury (TBI). The wife was hospitalized, and is now back at work. I busted on him a little about Harley and Spyders, and come to find out, he has ridden with one of our very own spyderlovers in the past. Oh yeah, he's even ridden with Slingshots, which was one of the other bikes (autocycle for Chupaca) that was with him that day.

In the end, I geared back up, and rode back home. I'm very lucky to work with all different types of patients, and trying to get them up and running again. I get to hear all kinds of stories.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please give him our best, and let him know that we're hoping for a rapid and complete recovery for both he and his Wife.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Please give him our best, and let him know that we're hoping for a rapid and complete recovery for both he and his Wife.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

X3. Interesting that you bring this up. I have been a pretty strict ATGATT proponent, but today I was home a thought I would run to the gym for a quick work out. I left wearing a Helmet, gloves, shorts, and running shoes! I have never felt so uncomfortable on a Motorcycle! It just didn't feel right, I kept saying that if I make it home alive, I will never do it again. Quite frankly I love getting all geared up!!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default ATGATT

Rode to Alaska. Tired, gas station 200 yards. Rode over, gassed up. Back to hotel. I ride two wheels. Side stand down, dismount. Side stand penetrated parking lot, over I go! In Alaska, there are steel poles with outlets to plug in block heaters. Missed bashing my head in by one inch! I would have had a concussion at the least, dead at worst! ATGATT! ATGATT! No kidding!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    X3. Interesting that you bring this up. I have been a pretty strict ATGATT proponent, but today I was home a thought I would run to the gym for a quick work out. I left wearing a Helmet, gloves, shorts, and running shoes! I have never felt so uncomfortable on a Motorcycle! It just didn't feel right, I kept saying that if I make it home alive, I will never do it again. Quite frankly I love getting all geared up!!
    Interesting how you felt and I know it. I was in Joisey chasing down some towns. We stopped and had some ice cream and before we got on the Garden State Parkway I took off my mesh jacket to ride in a TShirt. Got about 10 miles up and pulled into a state trooper spot and put my jacket back on. I couldn't stand the TShirt flapping all over the place.

Willie
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    Interesting how you felt and I know it. I was in Joisey chasing down some towns. We stopped and had some ice cream and before we got on the Garden State Parkway I took off my mesh jacket to ride in a TShirt. Got about 10 miles up and pulled into a state trooper spot and put my jacket back on. I couldn't stand the TShirt flapping all over the place.

Willie
    That too, then there was the uncomfortable breeze up the leg of my shorts! I felt like I was cheating on my wife!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am a proponent of ATGATT... never can be too pre-paired .. remember... STUPID HURTS !

osm

Spyder Garage

Racing motocross for a few of my wild young man years I've been down more ways than I can count (many probably because I wasn't that good), none of them pretty, all of 'em hurt. It's hotter than hell here and twice as humid this summer but I just cannot short change ATGATT. Wife kids me about all the effort to run a brief errand; I always reply, "It's my *ss, not yours."
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

ATGATT is good, and it works.

The one time you don't have it on is sometimes the time you may need it. To late when fate calls.

Beat Murphy's Law--be safe all the time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

wyliec, hope your friends heal up and get back out there.

As far as ATGATT, not a fan and I never have been. I have to put on all the crap when I snowmobile just to stay warm. I enjoy just jumping on the bike and going without the ritual of getting geared up.

Road rash and broken bones heal, been there done that. And lets face it, I don't care what gear you wear, if you're caught in the big one good luck because you are going to need it. If you truly want to be safe, don't ride. That is the path my brother in-law takes. He just retired from being an xray tech at Bronson Hospital. Said he saw so many motorcycle patients come through he wanted noting to do with bikes.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

I have been riding like a lot of you other people for years. Got involved in a head on car bike crash. I does not matter if you wear full gear or not if you tangle with a car you are going to get broken bones and road rash. I think that the extra gear might cut down on the injuries. It just was not my time yet. Someone was looking over me. The brain bucket that I had on has a big chunk out of it, that could have been my skull.