Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dead Spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spy_der_man View Post
    ...I located my local dealer on the internet, made an appointment for Saturday morning at 8:30 A.M. P.S.T...
    Am I reading this correctly? You hadn't been to the dealership before? Did you just look for the closest one to you on the internet?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Locally owned and operated dealers have a tendency to take things personally. It is what it is. They are NOT run like car dealers. Most are very small businesses. They will first cater to the consumers that have a history of supporting them. This is why I'm a big fan of buying a machine local if you plan on ever using that dealer for maintenance/service. They will move you toward the top of the list when you need work done.
    Buy a machine out of state to save a few bucks and your going to get pushed back down the waiting list for maintence/repairs.
    I'm not saying I agree, but that's how it is.

For the OP. Your in a bad position for sure. You bought a machine out of state and it was delivered non-running. Now you have to deal with a local dealer for help that also didnt get the sale from you purchasing from them. Be super careful with your conversations with the dealer. Remember, they have your non-running machine that nobody at this point knows what is wrong. I'd be firm, but I'd also be very nice and understanding too.
    If you go in there "guns a blazing" your likely not going to like the final outcome.
    Best of luck!

Spyder Garage

DrewNJ,

Excellent post. I hope the OP listens to you; no guns a blazing.

Spyder Garage

This is turning out to be the purchase from heck.

I offered a suggestion earlier, but it was missed.

Sometimes, there is more than one dealer in the area. Playing internet or phone roulette is not a good idea--IMO.

EG. Group came to AK for visit. Needed work on a machine. Checked phone #'s. Went to the one that popped up--took the machine 30 miles. Mechanic did not even know where the battery was located. Found that the "good" dealer was across the road from the motel. Problems solved.

Perhaps, if we knew the location in more detail, some locals would come on and get you in the right direction for getting a fix.
    The dealer you are now working with shows all the symptoms of the one that I have avoided for 8 years.

It would be great if you would find a good outcome and get on track for future enjoyment of your

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is it just me; or is anyone else starting to notice the scent of a Troll in the air?
    We have been led down just about every "blind hole", that can be imagined; what else can go wrong?

...just sayin'...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Who are you calling a troll? I really hope that it is not me...... Please acknowledge
    Last edited by spy_der_man; 08-13-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    This is turning out to be the purchase from heck.

I offered a suggestion earlier, but it was missed.

Sometimes, there is more than one dealer in the area. Playing internet or phone roulette is not a good idea--IMO.

EG. Group came to AK for visit. Needed work on a machine. Checked phone #'s. Went to the one that popped up--took the machine 30 miles. Mechanic did not even know where the battery was located. Found that the "good" dealer was across the road from the motel. Problems solved.

Perhaps, if we knew the location in more detail, some locals would come on and get you in the right direction for getting a fix.
    The dealer you are now working with shows all the symptoms of the one that I have avoided for 8 years.

It would be great if you would find a good outcome and get on track for future enjoyment of your
    I did not miss your suggestion, I actually did use your advice. I did go to Can-Am website and located a service dealer through that. I had no way of knowing that this would happen. I did tell the warranty company that if I don't get an answer today that I am changing locations. She also informed me that they don't have very many places that are authorized listed. I agree with that. I have only found three. Two within 10 miles and one within 50 miles. The problem with that is they are not specifically Can-Am dealers. They deal with all brands of MC's
    Last edited by spy_der_man; 08-13-2015 at 10:20 AM.

Spyder Garage

I did not miss your suggestion, I actually did use your advice. I did go to Can-Am website and located a service dealer through that. I had no way of knowing that this would happen. I did tell the warranty company that if I don't get an answer today that I am changing locations. She also informed me that they don't have very many places that are authorized listed. I agree with that. I have only found three. Two within 10 miles and one within 50 miles. The problem with that is they are not specifically Can-Am dealers. They deal with all brands of MC's
    Glad to hear back and that you are still working on this. Please keep us posted with the outcome. We do want to see you get on the road and enjoying your new . The latest will help you sort out which dealer to work with. There are good ones and some not.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Is your Spyder still with the dealer who keeps putting you off 'til "tomorrow"? Any update for us? We really do care & want to know what the problem was.

Good luck.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    Is your Spyder still with the dealer who keeps putting you off 'til "tomorrow"? Any update for us? We really do care & want to know what the problem was.

Good luck.
    I agree.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As of today the dealership is still working on it. It appears to be something electrical. Tech told me it's not wanting to spark correctly. Could be plugs, timing, etc....

Spyder Garage

As of today the dealership is still working on it. It appears to be something electrical. Tech told me it's not wanting to spark correctly. Could be plugs, timing, etc....

Thanks for the update
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Hi spy_der_man,

Re: It appears to be something electrical. Tech told me it's not wanting to spark correctly. Could be plugs, timing, etc....

I have spent a fair amount of time on a number of forums. Every now & then there is that one car, m/c, etc that just will not get going no matter what people suggest.

I really do wish you the best on this; you deserve it.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) And I hope that this might just solve it for you.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi spy_der_man,

Re: It appears to be something electrical. Tech told me it's not wanting to spark correctly. Could be plugs, timing, etc....

I have spent a fair amount of time on a number of forums. Every now & then there is that one car, m/c, etc that just will not get going no matter what people suggest.

I really do wish you the best on this; you deserve it.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) And I hope that this might just solve it for you.
    I thank YOU and EVERYONE ELSE for your kind words and support. I wish I could thank you all personally for the support you have shown me. I am still in shock how "strangers" so to speak will encourage, support, suggest many things to help a fellow spyder rider get up and running when I wanted to just give up. All the words of encouragement have kept me pushing forward.
    I can't wait to take my FIRST ride on my FIRST motorcycle I have ever had. I wish you all could be next to me as I prepare for my first ride in the days to come. Once again I thank you all for suggestions and support. You all are truly AMAZING!!!

Spyder Garage

Maybe it is just the plug wires shorting to the frame/engine...happened to several on here
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well after a long week the results are finally in. I regret to inform you all that I will be taking a leave of absence from this website. I appreciate all of the support I received over the last few weeks. All your suggestions and support kept me going through this crazy episode. I can't thank you all enough. I am sorry for the sudden disappearance but some things in life are more important than a website. Yes I know you all are probably quite disappointed to say the least. Please for give me, I do have my reasons.

The main reason for my sudden disappearance is................................................ .................................................. ......

GOTCHA!!!!!!!!

MY BABY IS UP AND RUNNING!!!!!!!!!
    I WILL BE TOO BUSY RIDING MY a** OFF

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations!!

​What was the diagnosis?
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Have Mercy......!!! LOL..... You definitely had me... Glad to hear the good news....Ride safe....

Keep 3 Down..!!!

Spyder Garage

That's the BEST kind of Gotcha!! Congratulations must be in order, not just for you but for whoever it was who managed to work whatever the problem was AND to then get it sorted.

Can you tell us what was the final verdict & fix, or is it one of those 'well we did everything we could think of without any joy, but then fiddled around a little & now somehow it works again' sorta things?!?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Can you tell us what was the final verdict & fix,..........
    I think he's out riding.....

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
    WHAT A RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Well all I remember was the tech said the oil level was to full, rear brake pads were shot which makes sense why the E brake didn't work, rear
    running light was out, plugs were wet, plugs were cleaned. I couldn't remember all of it due the fact that if I wanted copies of the diagnostic/repair report to forward to my attorney I would have had to come up with $480 for repairs and hope to get it back from the dealer in Texas or get no copies and pay my deductible of $50. Tough choice but I will take the $50 and try to get my money back for the new battery at $156.

The funny thing is, I left town this morning with the G/F to get away. During our trip I said to her that I bet the dealer is going to call today and tell me the my bike is ready. About 3 hours later I called and the tech said, " I was going to call you in 15 minutes to tell you your bike is ready". Just my luck!!
    Oh well, all is good now

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's starting to sound as if you're starting to have some fun!

Spyder Garage

What a ride. And I would say on several levels.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well the ride is over, back to the E.R. Nothing major. "Brake Failure" came up so I am parking it for now. I am guessing the front brakes need to be fixed now
    I told you all this bike is cursed!!

Spyder Garage

I dunno spy_der_man I guess you could look at it that way, if you believe in curses; but I woulda thought you would be thankful that your 'new' (even if 2nd hand) Spyder thinks enough of you to make sure you get all the iffy bits fixed early in your life of enjoyment on the Spyder!! It obviously didn't think enough of its previous owner to force him (or her?) to fix these things & was prepared to suffer a breakdown out on the road just to inconvenience its rider - but it thinks enough of you to want them sorted so you can enjoy the miles & smiles to come, secure in the knowledge that all the important things like brakes, oil levels, & plugs etc are sorted because you've sorted them!!

This is stuff is just your Spyder looking after you! Faithful rydes - if they like you!!