Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dead Spyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I figured that would happen. Does it still crank just fine? If so it's flooded. Like I said in a previous post do a WOT start.
    Bike cranks fine. I did the WOT again and nothing. I spoke to an associate that had spoken to a service tech and the tech thinks the plugs are fouled. his advice was to check them, clean and dry them and try again. My question was/is if the bike hasn't been touched by me for 2 days are the plugs still going to be wet?

Spyder Garage

Put the charger on the battery and try the WOT from time to time. When mine did this last fall it took 6 or 7 tries.
    Pulling out the plugs and cleaning them is a lot of work and risks damaging the crappy OE wires. If you do decide to pull the plugs may as well put in new ones.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Put the charger on the battery and try the WOT from time to time. When mine did this last fall it took 6 or 7 tries.
    Pulling out the plugs and cleaning them is a lot of work and risks damaging the crappy OE wires. If you do decide to pull the plugs may as well put in new ones.

I pulled one plug and cleaned it up real good. I saw where the other one was located and scrapped the rest of the project. I'm not mechanically inclined enough with this thing to even attempt to get to the other plug. I will say it was a bittersweet moment though. After I cleaned the one plug and put it back together I tried to start this darn thing. Well I heard it try to start, felt the engine try to start, heard the sound of the exhaust telling me that its trying but just doesn't have enough spark. Once I get the plugs cleaned or changed I think it will be up and running, Now I just have to find a way to get it to a dealer for that

Spyder Garage

Default Put more oil in it

For some reason oil level to low and bike will not start. Happened to me once,
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Spyder Garage

WOW, I think you are done...it's time for the seller to step up. I'd pursue that at this point, you may start getting blamed for touching it any further if they were so quick to want to blame the transporter.
    Only question I have is do you hear the fuel pump pressurize when you turn the key on?
    Last edited by AMTJIM; 08-07-2015 at 02:52 AM.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexAmRider View Post
    For some reason oil level to low and bike will not start. Happened to me once,
    The oil level has no effect on starting. The Spyder has no oil level detection. So it can be started without oil if you want. I don't know who told this BS but it is wrong.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well, I got both plugs out last night and cleaned them the best that I could. Put everything all back together. I think I put it together right, I didn't have any extra screws or parts laying around .
    I went to fire it up and got a chug chug but nothing else. I think at this point in time it's time to buy new plugs?

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Starting fluid

If you can see the air intake just shoot a LITTLE starting fluid in there. If there is spark, fuel, and compression--- it will fire up

Good luck,

Kaos
    Last edited by Lew L; 08-07-2015 at 10:47 AM. Reason: speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default No BS Here Happened to me twice on my 998

The oil level has no effect on starting. The Spyder has no oil level detection. So it can be started without oil if you want. I don't know who told this BS but it is wrong.
    Not going to argue with you, but happened to me twice. Just the facts I know. There is an oil sensor/sender on the unit. First time it happened, I was told to check oil level (which of course you can't do properly unless normal operating temp). After multiple attemps at starting before the oil with no luck, I added oil with a good guess as to what it might need, and It started immediately. Sold the bike, to get a new 2014, and it happened to the guy I sold it to. Told him same thing, added oil and it started.
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Spyder Garage

If you do take the plugs out again, stick them back in the plug wires and see if you can see a spark on them when you crank it. There have been several plug wire shorts to engine killing the spark resulting in excess fuel and a fire in the muffler in some cases . I don't think this is your problem though, it should be stinking like gas by now from all the unburned fuel.
    So how about that sound of a fuel pump pressurizing, do you hear it when you turn the key?
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    WOW, I think you are done...it's time for the seller to step up. I'd pursue that at this point, you may start getting blamed for touching it any further if they were so quick to want to blame the transporter.
    Only question I have is do you hear the fuel pump pressurize when you turn the key on?
    I don't know what to look for. all I can say is i smell gas after a while when I push the starter button and let crank for a bit
    Last edited by spy_der_man; 08-07-2015 at 01:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Do you hear anything besides the click of the key switch? There should be an immediate kind of swishing whirring noise that silences out after about a second.
    If you try the spark plug testing testing, you could maybe wait until it's dark to watck the plugs arc at the gap, there should be no arcs from the wires to the engine or frame.
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spy_der_man View Post
    I have contacted my attorney and I was advised to take it to my local dealer and have the problems documented and forward them to the dealer I bought the bike from and ask them "what are you going to do?" questions.

You may want to take your attorney's advice, if you want to ride anytime soon. Good luck, and I do hope it's nothing major.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know what to look for. all I can say is i smell gas after a while when I push the starter button and let crank for a bit
    When you crank it for a while, and start smelling gas; are you giving it any throttle at the time?
    If you are; don't! That would be what is flooding the bike... which it why you're smelling fuel again.
    Clean plugs, charged battery, good plugwires: hit the starter, and keep your right wrist away from the "loud grip"...
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You did go through all the fuses, right?...HT leads are all on the coil, nothing stuck in the air box horn?

Also, Billy is correct (as usual), oil level has nothing to do with starting so don't waste your time there....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It's out of my hands now. Spyder went to the E.R. this morning. Hopefully I will have some good news on Monday.

Spyder Garage

It's out of my hands now. Spyder went to the E.R. this morning. Hopefully I will have some good news on Monday.
    Good move. At least you'll be up and running soon. Then, hopefully you'll be reimbursed from the purchasing dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Please let us know what they find. Also I would be more interested in what the tech, working on your machine has to say rather than the service writer or manager.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

talk to the guy who has the wrenches... He works for a living!

Spyder Garage

Any news yet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Three days... What's up?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

hello Y'all,

As you know I took my baby to the E.R. on Saturday morning. Well it just doesn't seem to end. I located my local dealer on the internet, made an appointment for Saturday morning at 8:30 A.M. P.S.T. Dropped off my baby promptly. I told the service tech what was happening and was informed that I will receive a call later today (Saturday) letting me know the diagnosis. Well Saturday went by and by the time I looked at the clock the dealership was closed (5:30 P.M.). Well that one is my fault for not paying attention to the time. I figured the dealership would be closed Sunday as most dealerships are so I knew I wouldn't hear anything that day. Monday the same thing, the dealership is closed. Very normal I might add.
    This morning (Tuesday) I call first thing at 8:30 A.M. and I ask the service tech how things were looking. The response I got did not go over very well. He informed me that they haven't even looked at it yet. My response was "WHAT!". Sir, we put you in line, their were people in front of you so when you brought your bike in. I immediately informed him that I made an appointment Friday night for Saturday at 8:30 A.M. and I have a confirmation email stating such. If I have to wait in line for my turn on a first come first serve basis what is the point of making an appointment? The response I got was , "oh, sorry I did not know you had an appointment" Well ******* ******* knows because he sent me a confirmation email. Reply.... I am very sorry, we will look at it today and give you a call when it is done. So to make a long story short I ended up having to call back at 5 P.M. to find out what the diagnosis was. The reply is where I tried really hard to maintain my cool..... "Sorry but we did not get to it today, we will get to it in the morning". I replied, "I will see you first thing in the morning to discuss the customer service with you and the manager on duty". I then hung up the phone before I lost my marbles.

I am really beginning to think that this bike is cursed. I am weighing my options at this point lol.

Spyder Garage

Man, that even makes me mad. So cheezy, wonder if they have charged time against it yet. Throw some parts at it to add another 20% so the can give you a 10% discount for their mistake.
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default dealer

A good dealer makes a WORLD of difference to spyder ownership. Keep hunting and you'll find one eventually. Good luck with it all.