Thread: Dead Spyder

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default No BS Here Happened to me twice on my 998

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The oil level has no effect on starting. The Spyder has no oil level detection. So it can be started without oil if you want. I don't know who told this BS but it is wrong.
    Not going to argue with you, but happened to me twice. Just the facts I know. There is an oil sensor/sender on the unit. First time it happened, I was told to check oil level (which of course you can't do properly unless normal operating temp). After multiple attemps at starting before the oil with no luck, I added oil with a good guess as to what it might need, and It started immediately. Sold the bike, to get a new 2014, and it happened to the guy I sold it to. Told him same thing, added oil and it started.
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you do take the plugs out again, stick them back in the plug wires and see if you can see a spark on them when you crank it. There have been several plug wire shorts to engine killing the spark resulting in excess fuel and a fire in the muffler in some cases . I don't think this is your problem though, it should be stinking like gas by now from all the unburned fuel.
    So how about that sound of a fuel pump pressurizing, do you hear it when you turn the key?
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black