Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Spyder STS SE5 Break-In

I am somewhat concerned by the ever increasing cacophony of sounds emanating from my STS SE5 engine compartment during the 600+ mile break-in of my Spyder STS SE5 V-twin. Also a fellow rider noticed some wisps of blue smoke coming out of my tail pipe as I ran through the gears at partial throttle. The sounds coming from the engine compartment include valve tappets' like noise and whirring sounds. The engine oil has remained at the full mark. Are these behaviors normal for the V-twin engine? I sure could use some reassuring, if it is warranted.

Spyder Garage

You should probably get someone who is somewhat more familiar with Spyder mechanical noises than you to have a listen to it or to check it out properly - hopefully a good dealer or service tech (yeah, I know they might be rare, but there are SOME around!!) Odd or 'painful' clacking, whirring, or tapping mechanical noises/those behaviours aren't 'normal' for the Spyder V-twin engines (or any other engines really...)

Spyder Garage

If it is a 2013 just now getting broken in? I would get it serviced first. Oil does not do well sitting that long.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

How is the coolant level..?? I would normally say wait for your first service, not knowing if this is your first big twin, but what worries me is the puffs of smoke coming out the exhaust. You should run it by the dealers and have it checked out. Jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Murphy no spiderman

I have the same bike,2 of them.One with 1500 miles makes some engine noise like a bad lifter the other has 3k and its real quiet.Break in ? Your bike quiet down ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy NC Spiderman View Post
    I have the same bike,2 of them.One with 1500 miles makes some engine noise like a bad lifter the other has 3k and its real quiet.Break in ? Your bike quiet down ?
    Hey Murph,

At 1500 miles that bike should have had it's break-in service a long time ago. Did you buy it new or used?
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited