Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

No point in my case - by the time I've finished with a vehicle it's normally ready for scrap:-) Anyway how much of a 'depreciation' do you put on the fun of owning and riding it?

We don't tend to have age related depreciation in NZ - condition/km's is what it's based on and even then we tend to run up high mileages. the average age of vehicles in NZ is 14 years (in the US it's 8). Most vehicles here are second hand imports (particularly from Japan) because they are worth far more than in their country of origin.

There are secondhand Spyders same age and model as mine for sale at the moment on TradeMe (our version of eBay) that are the same price as I paid for mine new. so if you want to avoid depreciation export it to NZ and sell it there:-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    No point in my case - by the time I've finished with a vehicle it's normally ready for scrap:-) Anyway how much of a 'depreciation' do you put on the fun of owning and riding it?
    I agree with that! PistonBlown's ute (pick-up truck) is about 20 years old and still runs like a sewing machine!
    I'm always amazed at the old British vehicles still in regular use in NZ! Cars from the 60's & 70's are still to be seen!
    I'd move there tomorrow if I could!

Spyder Garage

If you try to sell it right after you buy it at your bargain price, You couldn't do it. Someone has it for sale dirt cheap somewhere. even though you checked the on line prices when negotiating and think you got a DEAL.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Disclaimer: in general, I take the "Zen" attitude to depreciation, i.e. that's just the price you pay for fun, more or less.

That said, nobody kid yourselves, Spyders are awful at holding value in comparison to other motorcycles.

Plenty of reasons why, to name but a few:
    1. Not a lot of production history
    2. Repeated model-line changes make new Spyders far more desirable
    3. Technical problems make older Spyders a crap shoot (once these bikes head out of warranty, watch out)
    4. Limited mechanic network
    5. Manufacturer / dealer incentives drive new prices very low in less time than other bike manufacturers (I'll say it: people who buy release-day Spyders at MSRP are allowing themselves to be played for suckers).

Just taking a gander at E-Bay this morning, you're lucky to get half what you paid for on an early-model RS. For my RS, I've "paid" $8000 or so for the privilege of riding it for five years. While it's worth it to me, that's an expensive hobby any way you cut it.

Bottom line: I'm liable to trade-in my Spyder just as a matter of convenience, but I really don't expect to get much of anything for it. I know that I'll part out as much as I can to try to recoup at least some of those aftermarket costs, but I'll be impressed if I get ten cents on the dollar for anything I added to the bike. Nobody buys a Spyder thinking about selling it some day, but now that I'm approaching that window, it sure makes me think twice about the kind of bargain I'm going to hold out for on my NEXT Spyder, i.e. there is NO WAY I'm going to pay anything close to full price on a Spyder again, to BRP's detriment.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When I bought my 2014 RT-S in July of 2014, I bought it to RYDE!!! I didn't worry about re-sale price or trade in price. I bought her to enjoy!!! Now, 1 year later and 23,000+ care free miles, I can truly say......I have done my ryding and have loved every one of them. I have no intention of trading or selling her any time soon. Maybe just buying another one for my wife!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    I agree with that! PistonBlown's ute (pick-up truck) is about 20 years old and still runs like a sewing machine!
    I'm always amazed at the old British vehicles still in regular use in NZ! Cars from the 60's & 70's are still to be seen!
    I'd move there tomorrow if I could!
    Pretty good estimate mate, 22 years to be precise:-)

There is a local guy who uses an E type jag for his daily commute, mind you he breaks down fairly often:-)