Spyder Garage

Default Another 2013 Spyder RT-S Heat Mitigation Report

Well July 17th I dropped my Spyder off for the Can-AM heat recall work.
    If anyone is interested, the Can AM part number that was applied was: 219800371 according to the invoice I received when I picked up my Spyder.

Everything went well. I noted two new air scoops on the front of the bike as stated in the detailed Recall Notice I received.
    I have only driven it 30 or 40 miles since I picked up.
    I observed:
    1. Very slight increase in engine noise (in a good way)
    2. More sensitive throttle response, especially at lower RPMs
    3. Absolutely no fuel vapors after parking in garage. Before the update I have always had a lot fuel vapor odors for a couple of hour after parking my bike. It appears the revised fuel evaporator and fuel system has worked.
    4. Overall reduced heat. Although I have not thought the heat from my bike was excessive ( I wrapped the exhaust with heat tape right after purchase), there has been a substantial and noticeable reduction with the modifications.
    5 No change in reported engine temp (My Spyder did not have engine temp issues before the recall work)

Overall the bike does appear to be much cooler after the update and I anxious to puts some miles on it.

I will report more on long term things such as fuel mileage when I have some riding time on my Spyder.

I did want to make one comment. I was not impressed with the quality of the work on my bike.
    I picked it up and 5 miles down the road noted my right hand mirror was vibrating excessively and was loose.
    I pulled over and found the upper plastic mirror mount was busted and the upper screw for body panel (right behind the mirror) was flat missing.

Given the quality of the work, I didn't take it back to the dealer. I took it home and fixed the mirror mount myself.
    Last year I had made a metal/rubber mount for the left side when I broke it last year and of course the dealer no parts in stock.
    I made a mirror image of the mirror mount for the right.
    I had order a couple of spare screws for myself previously and used one of them to fasten the body panel.
    I will have take a closer look at the rest of the work to see if the tech left me anymore "surprises".

- Mike
    Last edited by Rd_Runner; 07-27-2015 at 08:37 PM. Reason: added more info
    2019 F3 Unlimited , Oxford Blue Dark Edition

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Don't take it personally

For you the RT is a 25,000.00 to 30,000.00 investment in delight and enjoyment. To the "tech", it is just another "problem" recall that needs to be dealt with and only get paid a set (read low) amount by BRP to do it. Have you ever noticed that Can-Am "techs" don't choose to own one ? It is simply a product that needs service and repair and they make a living doing it. There is no personal investment in it like you have in it. The sooner that you realize this and set reasonable (read low) expectations, the more delight and enjoyment that you will get. Been here. Done this.

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear mostly positive concerning your heat recall work being completed.

Sorry to hear that they broke things in the process and then tried to pass the off to you without comment.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Glad yet sad....

Glad the recall is done and working well but sad to hear the the dealer did sloppy work on the closing up. Check it over well they have to remove almost everything to do the recall...enjoy the new ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On the 2013 they changed the part # for the mirror clips and they are kind of crappy. I believe that they went back to the old style in 14 but you actually need a left clip or a right clip for the 13s. This is something that techs break quite often when they don't take the time to properly remove the mirrors.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I didn't think my engine temp had changed after the recall but it has. Last year once the temp gauge got up to 5 bars it didn't come back down, now as soon as I travel about a mile or so at highway speed it drops back to 4 bars.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I am probably an outlier, but I always remove our body panels before I take either of our Spyders in for service..even just oil changes. I do put the mirrors back on for the ride. Our dealer is good, but I don't trust panels laying around in the shop. That and it shaves time off for their work so if it is warranty, bonus for them. If I am paying, less time = lower cost for me.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Excellent Idea

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    I am probably an outlier, but I always remove our body panels before I take either of our Spyders in for service..even just oil changes. I do put the mirrors back on for the ride. Our dealer is good, but I don't trust panels laying around in the shop. That and it shaves time off for their work so if it is warranty, bonus for them. If I am paying, less time = lower cost for me.
    It's an excellent Idea. It saves time, money, and stress. A damaged body panel was what led to my dealer and I deciding that my Can Am wouldn't ever cross his threshold again. It hasn't. Two thumbs up !