Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Your Riding impressions RT VS GL1800 Trike please

I have decided to go to three wheels, and since my wife will not even entertain the thought of a Slingshot, I have narrowed it down to a Spyder RT and a Gl1800 Trike. I have already weighed the issues of styling, dependability, cost, etc etc etc, and would like to get impressions from those that have ridden both. Specifically, which is more fun to ride spirited through the twisties? I think the Wing would definitely have the edge in power, but the Spyder would have the edge in handling. Is this true, or am I missing something. Your impressions are appreciated

Spyder Garage

Default Start with this video comparison

Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

I can't give you a comparison between the GL trike and the Spyder RT. However, 4 weeks ago I bought my RT Limited after being on two wheels for 31 years. I can honestly say, I don't miss my 2 wheel fun. Because, after the initial adjustment to riding the Spyder, (my adjustment time was very short), I'm having just as much fun on the Spyder as I did on my bike. I'm taking the same roads, twisties at the same speed as I did with my bike.

There is an increase sense of secure feeling when riding the spyder. Yes, things can still happen. However, not having to hold up 950lbs of bike, rider and passenger after 500 miles of a day ride, I'm not as tired at the end of the day. My wife has stated she feels more secure on the Spyder as well. Two weeks ago we rode up and back down a very narrow, sharp turns, no guardrail road up to Mt Rainier. On the way day in one of the 15mph hair pin turns my wife had her arms in the air like she was riding a roller coaster. She never did that on the bike.
    www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Contact Mr. Cognac (George Lewis)
    He's got both right now, and loves to talk about them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default This video is a little on sided, so I'll give you my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by wis2013rtltd View Post
    As a previous Honda rider, I loved the power and the dexterity of the Honda. Both 2 and 3 wheels. After riding the Honda Trike, and as you can see now going to the Spyder, the handling of the Spyder is much, much, better.
    There is a gentleman from Boerne, Texas ( Bob Just Posted Him) that actually still owns both and currently rides both. He can also give you first hand information as well. He enjoys both.

The Spyder steering is a great improvement from the Honda Trike steering. Cornering is better at both high and low speeds. The rear wheel of the Spyder has no effect whatsoever of the front steering on the Spyder which is not the case with the Honda Trike. I noticed every little change (bumps, holes, etc.) on the rear of the Honda trike effected the front steering.

The Spyder does have more storage, of course the video shows the Can AM bags which fit the spyder perfectly but not the Honda. Try this with other type bags and I'll think you will still see a difference, but a bit unfair to use Spyder bags with a Honda trike.

Ride them both, going from one to the other to get a real feel of the difference in Handling.

This is my Second Spyder. No going back to the conventional trike for me. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by TexAmRider; 07-31-2015 at 03:05 PM. Reason: added info
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Contact Mr. Cognac (George Lewis)
    He's got both right now, and loves to talk about them!
    Or is it "contact Mrs. Cognac". Seems George is always looking to purchase items for her.
    www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As the instructor in the MSF 3 wheel motorcycle class told me. The Goldwing trike was built to be a two wheel bike first. Then a third wheel was added. The Spyder was built from the ground up to be what it is. After taking the course, and having the opportunity to ride a Triglide and a Goldwing trike, I'd take the Spyder every time! There really is no comparison. The Spyder is much safer, and easier to handle. Just my $.02.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default I meant to catch up with George.

I was down in the Boerne, area here while back and meant to catch up with George, But my wife had an accident and fell breaking her hand and we had to shorten our trip. No, She didn't fall getting off the Spyder, it was while walking and taking a tour of a Dude ranch in the area. Never met him, but he sure seems to be a very interesting person.
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, I had seen this and is one of the reasons I am looking at the Spyder. even given the video, I am on the fence with the major issue which I cannot resolve is the riding spirited in the twisties. If I only rode in the parking lot like in the video, the GL1800 with its bulletproof flat6, and the fact that I can trike mine for around $10K would be the obvious choice. It is a good video showing the advantages of the Spyder, but not the whole story.
    Last edited by bug's zedi; 07-31-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MY FIRST TRIKE EXPERIENCE

In 09 medical issues forced a decision, I was along time Gold winger....I was either going to Three wheels or nothing. Tried a HD trike and a Late model GW trike. From that I decided I am giving up motorcycling because I thought they were DEATH machines.....Then a month later I tried an 08 GS Spyder ....traded my Wing on the SPOT.....and have never regretted it............And furthermore if I could even return to TWO wheels I wouldn't...............If this isn't a positive testimonial I don't know what will convince you ........Mike ...........PS ....you must get something with the 1330 engine.....forget the V-twin thingy

Spyder Garage

This is just me. I rode most Gl1800 trikes. I did not like the ride or the poor handling. When you add the unsprung weight of a trike kit to any motorcycle the performance goes away. The unsprung weight tents to shake the front of the trike a bit, very noticeable on rough back roads. I like to carve up the mountain roads and I find the purpose built RS-S just the ticket. Good luck in your choice.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Yes, George from Boerne is a very good contact to answer your question.

My suggestion--before you make a final decision--a test drive of both flavors is in order. That will help to determine what you like the best.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Spyder has a real reverse gear. The GW uses the starter motor for reverse.

As for spirited driving you can push the Spyder up to the point where the designers determined is the limit for safe riding. That limit can be extended by the installation of the Baja Ron anti-sway bar and spring adjusters. I won't say it is impossible to roll a Spyder, but it will be extremely difficult to do so. Whenever Nanny senses you pushing it too close to the edge she will throttle back and even hit the brake if necessary. That safety feature is not available on the Goldwing trike. What does that mean? You CAN roll a GW trike if you push it too hard. I haven't ridden a GW, or any other, conventional trike and the idea of having Nanny with me to protect me on the Spyder will keep me from ever seriously riding one.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bug's zedi View Post
    Thanks, I had seen this and is one of the reasons I am looking at the Spyder. even given the video, I am on the fence with the major issue which I cannot resolve is the riding spirited in the twisties. If I only rode in the parking lot like in the video, the GL1800 with its bulletproof flat6, and the fact that I can trike mine for around $10K would be the obvious choice. It is a good video showing the advantages of the Spyder, but not the whole story.
    I just rode the Dragon on my 15 and had no trouble keeping up with the guys on their 2 wheelers.
    Had no issues in the curves.. my hubs reported my "WaHOOS" in the curves to the other riders!
    2015 Spyder RT Limited, Red Pearl
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Contigo Cup
    Cup Holder
    Cargo Nets
    Additional turn signals mounted behind speaker grill
    12v cable for heated clothing
    Sheepskin seat cover
    Baja Ron Sway bar

Myles of Smyles!!

2011 Spyder RT
    Viper Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder is less expensive to purchase than a Goldwing Trike.

Goldwing is SUPER RELIABLE.

Spyder is a noisy bike.
    Goldwing is quieter.

Spyder gets better gas mileage than a Goldwing.
    Goldwing runs on regular gas.

Spyder handles better than a Goldwing trike.

It's just a matter of preference.

Spyder Garage

I think the Wing would definitely have the edge in power, but the Spyder would have the edge in handling. Is this true, or am I missing something. Your impressions are appreciated

You answered your own question here. I have owned and ridden both and would not go back to the triked Wing. I bought a second RT as proof of that. I tried to make the Wing easier to handle by putting a six degree rake on the front wheel to kick it out more, chopper style in order to make it turn easier but it didn't help much.

The Spyder with the Dynamic Power Steering is designed to handle sweepers as well as hard turns and is safer, more comfortable and faster through the twisties than the triked Wing.

The flat six puts out more power but power isn't much good if you can't get it on the ground safely. Add the SE transmission and the full reverse gearing and the Spyder is not only better to handle but it is more relaxing and fun to drive. Plus it has more useable storage space.

A $10,000 kit on a Wing actually makes it less of a performer... so what do your get for the ten grand?? All the things you had to start with.

- a far better sound system
    - a quieter engine (not that much more if you go with the 1330 engine with the Spyder)
    - more torque on the bottom end (not that much more if you go with the 1330 engine on the Spyder)
    - Better gas mileage (about even if you go with the 1330 engine on the Spyder)
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DIFFERENT OPINION

Quote Originally Posted by Vt. Rider View Post
    Spyder is less expensive to purchase than a Goldwing Trike.

Goldwing is SUPER RELIABLE.....13,500 miles 2014 RT no issues

Spyder is a noisy bike......Not with the 1330 engine
    Goldwing is quieter.

Spyder gets better gas mileage than a Goldwing.
    Goldwing runs on regular gas......My 2014 RT runs just as well on Regular

Spyder handles better than a Goldwing trike.

It's just a matter of preference.
    Reply's are above in red........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Servicing

Forgot to mention one thing in my earlier response.

Unless you are a DIY service person think about service.

Honda dealers (for the most part) won't work on Trikes. Some don't have lifts that can handle two wheels in back and others claim that the kit voids any warranty.

Finding an independent cycle shop to work on a Trike is just as hard (even for Spyder owners).
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Forgot to mention one thing in my earlier response.

Unless you are a DIY service person think about service.

Honda dealers (for the most part) won't work on Trikes. Some don't have lifts that can handle two wheels in back and others claim that the kit voids any warranty.

Finding an independent cycle shop to work on a Trike is just as hard (even for Spyder owners).
    GW owners here are fortunate. The local dealer has a good relationship with the local trike converter. Non trike related issues the dealer takes care of. Trike related issues they send the owner to the converter. Non trike issues are handled under warranty, as applicable.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I have decided to go to three wheels, and since my wife will not even entertain the thought of a Slingshot, I have narrowed it down to a Spyder RT and a Gl1800 Trike. I have already weighed the issues of styling, dependability, cost, etc etc etc, and would like to get impressions from those that have ridden both. Specifically, which is more fun to ride spirited through the twisties? I think the Wing would definitely have the edge in power, but the Spyder would have the edge in handling. Is this true, or am I missing something. Your impressions are appreciated
    Did you do a test drive on each?
    If you did, can't see how you would consider the GL1800

BTW - The Spyder has more storage space

AJ
    Last edited by PaladinLV; 08-01-2015 at 02:13 PM.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Never rode a Goldwing trike .But have had Wing owners tell me they would go to the Spyder if they decide on 3 wheels.Wing looses it,s abs when converted.Thats a safety feather I don,t want to loose.You need to buy what you want.I love the Goldwing but in 2 wheels
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

Default Problem right out of the gate

I started to watch this video but had a problem with it right out of the gate. When comparing the storage capacity of the Honda, he was using luggage specifically designed for the Spyder. So right there I felt he was not interested in a fair and unbiased comparison. It came as no surprise to me that the Spyder would have been able to accommodate all the luggage that was designed to fit into it's storage compartments. This video just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Winger View Post
    Wing looses it,s abs when converted.Thats a safety feather I don,t want to loose.
    I think there is at least one conversion now that will retain the ABS, but I don't know which one. I believe I saw it in an ad in Wings magazine. Since I'm not interested in a GW trike I have no incentive to find which one it is.

2014 Copper RTS