Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    At the end of the season before you put the machine away is going to be best.
    Used oil can become acidic as it sits over the winter. Better to have fresh in there for storage.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    , Strongly! And if you drain it hot, as the manual says, refill and just run it long enough to verify oil pressure is up and circulating all will be well. Shut it off and connect the battery tender for the winter.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    At the end of the season before you put the machine away is going to be best.
    Used oil can become acidic as it sits over the winter. Better to have fresh in there for storage.

Me I always like to change it at the end of the season for the same reason as you listed, but I will confess that if the current oil has less then 1000 miles on it I run it the next year.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Question First Maintenance Schedule

My Spyder RTL2014 just celebrated it's 1st year last August 8 with 799 miles. Do I follow the BRP scheduled maintenance of (3000m) or have the first oil change, because it's a year old? Your input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    kumortl14
    4 RTL , RTL 14- Value Acc full size pedal RTL 14 RTL Satin Gray,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kumortl14 View Post
    My Spyder RTL2014 just celebrated it's 1st year last August 8 with 799 miles. Do I follow the BRP scheduled maintenance of (3000m) or have the first oil change, because it's a year old? Your input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    kumortl14
    One year regardless of the mileage.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kumortl14 View Post
    Thanks.
    kumortl14
    Normally I'd say 1000 miles and your still fine and leave it be.
    However, since it has never been done I'd go ahead and change it if it were mine. There is more assembly debris and junk in a new motor/trans than you ever want to believe.

Spyder Garage

Default RE: Scheduled Maintenance:

Thank You all for the input!. Will make appt with dealer ASAP.

Kumortl14
    4 RTL , RTL 14- Value Acc full size pedal RTL 14 RTL Satin Gray,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Good point also. I figured I would give it a try since I have a full warranty, and also believe BRP would not suggest intervals that are detrimental to the . I was/am also a pioneer on the no valve check until 50K on 998 with my 2011-- I was a good spyderman though in previous models and had em checked at 14K and 28K on two others.
    I have gone through 3 9300 miles oil changes so far after the 3000 mile break in (approaching 4th one) without any problems whatsoever. I am very comfortable with the interval.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    I most likely will not put the 9000 miles on for the second oil change within the year. So my question is would I be better off changing the oil prior to the start of the season or at the end? I'm leaning towards the end of season before I put machine into storage so that it isn't sitting with dirty oil all winter, but thought I'd get some opinions from the group.
    Am guessing that most will suggest change out at season end. That way she sits with new oil and you are ready to hit the pavement when the new season begins.

Mine needs a change in 800 miles (were I to run out the 9300). Its going in this week or the next. That will be my final oil change this season and I should be good to go when next season starts up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Those are usually labeled Do Not Remove Under Penalty of Law. Now that the _ _ _ knows about me, I have to be very careful.
    "except by consumer"

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by bobgeorge View Post
    What is the maintenance schedule for the 2015 RT? I can't find it online anywhere. My dealer mentioned something about a 600 mile checkup.

Thanks!
    3000 miles (or one year, whichever comes first... not in owners manual). I had only 1300 miles on my 2014 RTL at one year, so I called BRP for clarification. I was told that I had to do the 9000 mile/one year service to maintain my warranty. Checked two nearby dealers for price quotes and had it done for $274. When I hit 3000 miles, most likely before warranty expires, I'll do the 3000 mile service.
    2014 RT Limited
    1998 Honda Helix Scooter

Spyder Garage

Default My dilemma will be the 9300 mile servicings...

Bought mine in Feb....sitting at 9600 miles right now.....have a 3500 mile trip planned to the north east at the end of the month. Dealer said I could let it go past the 9300 miles no problem, all would still be right n the world.....

I decided to take it in early instead, next Friday, and get the 9300 mile service, oil is dark. Now and 10,000+ miles just seems too far for an engine running around 4000 rpm on the highway.....I think opting on the side of caution is always best anyway....

Next year I have a 12,000 mile month+ long trip planned, gonna have to plan a stop for maintainence somewhere, that should be Interesting.... :-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=DC1;1032055.....I think opting on the side of caution is always best anyway....
    [/QUOTE]

The advantage of the 9,300 mile interval, is that it gives 1330 owners the luxury of some latitude in choosing when to get the servicing done.
    In my case; it's now an annual event.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Read the book!

Quote Originally Posted by bobgeorge View Post
    What is the maintenance schedule for the 2015 RT? I can't find it online anywhere. My dealer mentioned something about a 600 mile checkup.

Thanks!
    You paid alot for the RT. Some day you will want your value back. Having verified records of having of all required maint. items will help you get back the maximum amount back when you go to sell!

Get the book and read it!

Carl

Spyder Garage

Default Question answered?

bobgeorge, did all the above responses answer your question adequately?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aeroshots View Post
    bobgeorge, did all the above responses answer your question adequately?
    Thank you. A lot of great info! I'm at 1,134 miles now. Will get my first oil change at 3K

2015 Can-Am RT Limited Pearl White
    Farkle: Laser alignment, Bararon sway bar, Bump skid with LED, Tri Axis adjustable handlebar, BRP heated comfort seat, Utopia backrest, Kott grills, Tailgunner Black Widow exhaust, BRP adjustable side wind deflectors, and Upper wind deflectors.

Spyder Garage

I found this...not sure if it is the same but this was for the F3:

Here are the intervals for the 1330 ACE:

- Replace Oil & Oil Filter: 1st Change at 3100 miles, 2nd Change at 9,300 miles, 3rd Change at 19,000 miles, 4th Change at 28,000 miles. If you don't put that many miles on your Spyder you should change it annually.

- Spark Plugs should be changed at 28,000 miles

- Fuel Filter changed at 19,000 miles

- Air Filter changed at 19,000 miles (replace & clean housing more frequently in duty and wet areas)

- Engine Coolant change at 28,000 miles

- Drive Belt check and adjust as needed at every oil & filter change

Here are the intervals for the 991 engine:

- Replace Oil & Oil Filter: 1st Change at 600 miles, 2nd Change at 4,600 miles, 3rd Change at 9,300 miles, 4th Change at 14,000 miles. If you don't put that many miles on your Spyder you should change the oil and filter once a year.

- Spark Plugs should be changed at 14,000 miles

- Fuel Filter changed at every 19,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first

- Air Filter changed at 4,600, 9,300 & 14,000 miles

- Drive Belt check and adjust as needed at every oil & filter change

Spyder Garage

You realize this was posted SEVEN years ago, right?
    AJM

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black