Thread: air filter

Spyder Garage

Default air filter

Just read that dealers charge $1000.00 to change an air filter. My 2014 is less then a year old so not ready for an air filter but wondering if that amount is really true for all dealers. I live in Oregon and have my services done by Sean in Vancouver,WA. at Powersports.

lmadsen

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd ride to Oregon and change your air filter for $950. Okay? That is ridiculous, I can change my air filter by myself on my 14.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes..!!

you need to get some new reading material... read your manual and you will see when you need to change it and there are filters out there that last a lifetime..check with BajaRon.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default only what i read

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    you need to get some new reading material... read your manual and you will see when you need to change it and there are filters out there that last a lifetime..check with BajaRon.
    I am only responding to what was written on the forum by orange spyder man. If his statement about a air filter coasting $1000.00 is incorrect then he should certainly correct that staetment. It is ridculous to write and leave staements like that on the forum.

lmadsen

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lmadsen View Post
    I am only responding to what was written on the forum by orange spyder man. If his statement about a air filter coasting $1000.00 is incorrect then he should certainly correct that staetment. It is ridculous to write and leave staements like that on the forum.

lmadsen
    OSM also said $800 for spark plugs and install. While I was looking for install instructions for someone else, I found a receipt from my dealer for an oil change, and spark plug install for $274. So, I guess there could be thieves without a gun. Always check ahead of time before having any work done; that goes for anything, not just the spyder.

By the way, I also had the filter in the air box replaced; but, I'm to lazy to try to find that receipt.

Spyder Garage

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    OSM also said $800 for spark plugs and install. While I was looking for install instructions for someone else, I found a receipt from my dealer for an oil change, and spark plug install for $274. So, I guess there could be thieves without a gun. Always check ahead of time before having any work done; that goes for anything, not just the spyder.

By the way, I also had the filter in the air box replaced; but, I'm to lazy to try to find that receipt.

Thanks for replying and the helpful information. Sometimes it is hard to believe that there is such a huge discrepancy between one shop price and another.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I forget what the air filter and spark plugs cost for my 2012 RT but it was nowhere near that, and I changed them myself.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I am here in Oregon too. I think that cost is rediculous and we had a discussion here about it before. This Winter I am going to get the JT's Machine Shop air filter kit and replace it. You remove the stock system a big bulkie plastic box and replace it with a much better free breathing system. It also reduces some weight and gives more free space above the engine for air flow. After installing it......your future air filtering costs will be a little of your time and the cost of an air filter.

I am not a mechanic but I am not stupid and can do basic maintenance. So I will do this conversion myself and will do future oil changes on my own also. Anything I cant handle I will have Shawn do it too.

I think their is a link to JT's machine shop on the vendor section.

Check out this link:

http://gnipsel.com/spyderstore/index...&product_id=65
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Must be one of dem der solid gold filters!! Go buy a filter and do it yourself. Costs about $25 and a little labor (learning about your bike). ABSOLUTELY not a $1000 job. Not even a $100 job IMO. I'm guessing a filter could be found for less too.
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WEB-WVR View Post
    I am here in Oregon too. I think that cost is rediculous and we had a discussion here about it before. This Winter I am going to get the JT's Machine Shop air filter kit and replace it. You remove the stock system a big bulkie plastic box and replace it with a much better free breathing system. It also reduces some weight and gives more free space above the engine for air flow. After installing it......your future air filtering costs will be a little of your time and the cost of an air filter.

I am not a mechanic but I am not stupid and can do basic maintenance. So I will do this conversion myself and will do future oil changes on my own also. Anything I cant handle I will have Shawn do it too.

I think their is a link to JT's machine shop on the vendor section.

Check out this link:

http://gnipsel.com/spyderstore/index...&product_id=65
    Your air filter is different on the 998 than the one on the 1330. The 1330 is much easier to get to to change.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Why not call Pro Calibre, and ask them?

For what it's worth, I can report that a 3k service on a 2015 RT-S cost me $400 there, and that included a 10% discount for being a spyder club member.

-Fratz